Where to find cooking ingredients

Discussion in 'Food' started by raypin, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Pita with hummus. Raw.
    713767F9-22F4-4B91-93E6-E5CDE361A68D.jpeg

raypin likes this.
  2. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Thanks, Raypin! Missus had a hankering for Shibuya's Mentaiko, unaware that the UPTC branch has closed a looong time ago. Will just make for her.

raypin likes this.
  3. manager

manager Active Member

Juice likes this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...except for the pressure cooker, the other functions are geared towards western recipes. It is useless for Filipino recipes (lutong bahay). At home, I no longer use my pressure cooker. I get better results using my slow cooker for tenderizing anything. Hindi durog ang proteins.

#244 raypin, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. scubadiverdaw

scubadiverdaw Active Member

Thanks Raypin. i was at the appliance center earlier trying to decide if i should but the pressure cooker or not. Good thing i decided not to as i already have a slow cooker. :) Glad i read your post.

raypin likes this.
  6. raypin

mm..I love my slow cooker....cook adobo, kaldereta, menudo, kare kare, ribs, specially pata tim......use it a lot to braise till I have the right tenderness.

7. hitme64

^Time was when the only way to tenderize your meats, especially beef, was with a pressure cooker. Those sell for prohibitive prices long before slow cookers and meat tenderizer gadgets came in. They take a while to cook, and when they do, they emit this high pitch whistle until you turn off the damn thing. Then you either get scald or burned depending on how you try to pry open the lid. They were also a pain to clean afterwards. So much for an 8-year old kid then who started working as sous chef to my mother.

Juice likes this.
  8. raypin

mmm...I marinate overnight. Into the marinade, I add pureed Asian pear the last 6 to 8 hours. Guaranteed tender bbq pork.

I ve had my share of pressure cooker accidents.

9. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Folks noob question. Need some recommendations on truffle oil that's reasonably priced ( 250-500ml, less than 1K). Will be making truffle fries. A quick search at Lazada got me these : Urbani White, Molinera, Sabatino Tartufi. Also what's the difference between white truffle and black truffle? Which would be more appropriate for truffle fries? Thanks.

10. raypin

Mm....Molinera brand is good for basic pantry stuff. I suggest getting the smallest bottle you can find on Lazada and use sparingly when tossing it after frying the the potato.

#250 raypin, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    hitme64 and leninmac like this.
  11. leninmac

Thanks.

12. hitme64

I use Molinera Pure Olive Oil for my daily cooking. It has almost the same qualities as the Filippo Berto brand but more expensive. So I use mine sparingly for just the right dish.

Oh and I got mine from Unimart Estancia Mall.

leninmac and raypin like this.
  13. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Mazza almentari from HiTop is what's in my cupboard, for quick truffle fries and truffle carb at home. less than 700!

leninmac and raypin like this.
  14. leninmac

Thanks.

wulf likes this.
  15. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

well not really a cooking ingredient but a cooking tool. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience in using this kind of korean bbq grill on your induction stove. I'm just having second thoughts on buying this kind of grill because i'm worried it will not work on an induction stove.. if you are using this kind of korean bbq grill on an induction stove, where did you get it? :)) Thanks!!

[​IMG]

PS: Not really interested on these types of grills, i know they will work in an induction stove but they are a pain to deal with, especially when cleaning.
    [​IMG]

16. raypin

Mm....dont have that at home but some samyup places I ve been to utilizes induction cooker for grilling food so it should work but I have has no problem with the gas grill type for tabletop use.

Ang daming nagdedeliver ng samyup meat ngayon (bacon slice) during quarantine. What I do is to just marinate pork or beef in ready marinades (Korean) and keep it in the fridge and grill it whenever I need a quick, fuss-free meal.

The key is the quality of the non- stick coating. Some are too thin and will not last for years of regular use but they are cheap. Look for authentic Hanaro brand.

Shinahashirome, Theus and wulf like this.
  17. yehey9

You know of any trusted local honey brands?I say trusted because there are those who say they sell pure honey, but upon checking, its too thin to be pure honey. Some say that unscrupulous sellers are out there that mix honey with sugared water.

18. raypin

mm...buy imported to be sure. Sue Bee.

yehey9 likes this.
  19. manager

manager Active Member

Ilog Maria in Tagaytay. They have resellers in MM.

Note that local honey has a different viscosity. Imported honey seems to processed into a thicker syrup than any I've encountered here.

yehey9 likes this.
  20. yehey9

funny you mention that, thats also the brand we’re used to, but our grocery doesn’t have them anymore.

will look into ilog maria. Thanks for the suggestion and information that local honeys are thinner than imported counterparts.