Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Mykolant, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone with a common sense would know that this movie will not be a financial lop. It's STAR WARS. Nobody however actually expected to be critically panned. if you were to go to any Star Wars forum, this movie is being ripped to shreds.

New Hope was never panned. When it was released, It was received with immediate critical acclaim that word of mouth helped it break box office reaching $220 Million wordwide at its initial theatrical release (900+ Million adjusted for inflation) . It was both a financial and critical success that it is the only Star Wars film, to date, to get a nomination for Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars. ROTS has low ratings because it's a bad movie by light years, in comparison with its predecessors.

gaol and Netskipper like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...Rotten Tomatoes:

477FF6A7-6D6A-40EE-A096-9EF11ED926F4.jpeg

It is 57% from 358 “professional” critics (which is low) vs. 86% rating (which is high) from 33,742 reviewers (audience scorers). Which carries far more weight?

wtf are you talking about? Explain that.

#82 raypin, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    hitme64 likes this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Whatever you say man, (y) Oh by the way, I was talking about it being panned here because it was up against critically-acclaimed Pinoy films and rom-coms then in 1977, hence, it didn’t last long in theaters. That is why I got to watch it in Betamax. And lay off a bit on the tone because everyone here has a free mind and opinion.

#83 hitme64, Dec 23, 2019
    Ghibli likes this.
  4. raypin

Mm...at IMDB, it is rated at a very respectable 7.0 out of 10 based on the ratings of 101,246 people, meaning for every 10 who watched it, 7 liked it and only 3 disliked it. It is that simple.

837AC425-C734-44C2-80C9-A5DA2C3F26FF.jpeg

Explain that.

From memory, no sequel can top the original hit. It is called the sequel curse.....Godfather 1 > God father 3. Pirates 1 > sequels. 99% of the time, sequels fail to replicate the original hit movie. It just is. Hindi na siya fresh.

#84 raypin, Dec 23, 2019
    hitme64 likes this.
  5. Ghibli

Whatever you say. ;)

6. raypin

Mm...so who cares about people bitching in Star Wars forums? It is ONLY the NUMBERS that count. I rate it at 9/10. You rate it at 4/10. That makes you in the tiny minority.

7. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

.... The way this thread is going, the discussion here might turn out to be, ... err, more fun--and well thought-out--than the movie itself!

Just saying. :LOL::p:D

8. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

i enjoyed the movie, loved the action scenes, good thing i watched it on imax... i also liked the nod to the classics of the first saga... that scene where reinforcements arrived and the sky was filled with rebel spaceships was a sight to behold, though afterwards it got me thinking it was eerily similar to the Avengers Endgame scene though of course i still prefer how the latter executed it. At the end of the day it was what i expected and left the movie house with a smile on my face cause i enjoyed it very much, dont care what critics say, i was there to have fun and be entertained and it was mission accomplished for me :)
    just one note though that left a bitter taste for me was that rey and kylo moment at the end haha dunno why... as for the GOT similarities, that's an insult to star wars haha that GOT ending was definitely a mess.

Mykolant, coffeeboy and raypin like this.
  9. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

^ I agree. Although my ranking for this movie is low among Star Wars movies, it's an insult to to have this compared to GOT season 8.

10. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Watched the movie and I do find it entertaining however I was hoping for some really good lightsaber duels but ended up bitin. One thing I find episodes 1, 2, and 3 did better than the current trilogy are the fight scenes. But then again how can you match Yoda being a badass! Hahahahaha

raypin likes this.
  11. cHad

cHad Active Member

Same sentiments. There were only two main lightsaber users and the fight everyone was waiting for in the second movie ended up as a force projection.

Ghibli likes this.
  12. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

OT - for me the only sequel I enjoyed more than the first film was Aliens.

Ghibli likes this.
  13. cHad

cHad Active Member

I guess I should throw away any logic when watching Star wars films. For example ; how did fin and the ground army able to breath and run on top of the space ship when they were supposedly in space? Rip gravity and oxygen. Well every planet in the solar systems has breathable air as far what it seems.

Ghibli likes this.
  14. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

The star destroyers are still in the planet's atmosphere. The rebels were trying to prevent the ships from going into space by destroying the navigation beacon.

15. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Also... T2.

Haven't seen it yet but will probably just wait for this to be available online. There goes our holiday SW tradition.

16. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

I rate this movie 9/10 too. Who cares if there are a lot of plot holes? We have differing opinions about this movie, but, I ENJOYED it.

Mykolant and raypin like this.
  17. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I watched the movie as a fan last night.

No expectations, no nerdy hat.

Not bad.

Mykolant likes this.
  18. Ghibli

The gravity did not bother me but something else did. You know what's glaringly stupid.

Every Final Order Star Destroyer had a planet destroying canon (Who needs a death star these days?) but Palpatine's Armada only had ONE navigational GPS. ;)

Let that sink in.

19. Ghibli

"Who has a better story than Rey Palpatine?" :LOL:

20. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Everyone's opinion here is right! Everyone is also wrong!:ROFLMAO: In the end, we each have our own take on the film. It's Star Wars, for crying out loud. The only thing the bad reviews are doing is keeping me away from movie critics, not films like these. Who cares if they are professional critics? I treat movie-watching as a personal experience -- I don't care what the critics say!

Just watched it on IMAX surrounded by aliens (actually, me and the wife might have been the only aliens in an audience of New Yorkers!!!) I would treat the whole saga as one complete story (cohesive or not, who cares?) from Episode I to IX, in whatever order you'd like to watch it, including Rogue One and Solo. It gets a 10 out of 10 in this case.

For Episode IX, I ran the whole gamut of emotions from the opening crawl up to the final scene. A fitting final chapter to a story that hopefully will not be revisited in the future (and even if they resurrect it, I won't mind).

Us GenXers grew up on this fable -- more space fantasy than science fiction -- and the only thing I have to come to grips with is the end of a tale that started long ago (42 years ago, in fact, and I was 9 yrs old), in a place very far from my current reality and environment (like galaxies far, far away). It's like saying goodbye to "old friends" (and I was beside myself seeing some of them making appearances in this final episode). In the end, I am happy. And sad. But mostly satisfied.

Shall I say goodbye to my childhood as well?

Yeah, nah, it will be with me, always.

Cheers!!:p

macdiver, jlconferido and raypin like this.