Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Nope, they wouldn't be uploading or downloading simultaneously but network congestion? I can identify currently:-

2 cellphones
    2 4k tv's
    1 desktop
    1 laptop
    1 ipad

if i have company:-

additional 2 phones
    1 laptop

then was thinking of installing yeelights or lifx bulbs (2-6 units still evaluating) in the condo, sensibo for the aircons (2 units).

So easily 15-20 devices that may exactly need to be on the wifi network.

2. legato

legato Active Member

Like you, bought the edge router x about 2 months ago. Love it. This replaced an old linksys router having the open source Tomato firmware. Only issue I had with it really was that the Tomato firmware wasn't being updated anymore. Hasn't had an update in almost 2 years.

I say hold on to your AC68U for under your TV. Typically the TV is centrally located so best place to position a wifi access point. Also you'll need wired connections to the TV, game consoles, Apple TV, etc.

Not as interior design approved as an Ubiquiti Access Point though.

Incidentally, for a 50sqm condo unit, another good option would be the Edge Router X + Ubiquiti AP AC Lite for around 10K from Lazada. Setup described here => or here

3. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Setting 20Mhz channel width for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz makes my wifi more reliable but lesser speed. Planning to buy cheap home router for each floor then use wire connection for each.

4. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Also ordered the Edge Router X to pair it with the Google Wifi (which lacks QoS) primarily to keep my son happy with his ping while others are watching Netflix and the like.

5. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

Are there any recommended consumer Wifi routers with 10GbE ethernet ports?

6. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

the latest asus rog ax11000 features a 2.5G port with the option to install a 10G card. unless you have more than 1G internet connection, the 10G port on a router is not really useful. for local file transfers then a 10G switch are readily available.

7. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

It's mainly for local file transfers. I just wanted a wifi router so I can have a consolidated device that handles local and internet traffic.

I intend to incrementally upgrade my local network to 10G for heavy file transfers particularly between the NAS configured with a RAID volume and NVMe cache and client PCs with NVMe SSDs as well as USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Thunderbolt 3 external SSD drives. The gigabit ethernet LAN is the primary bottleneck right now.

I already found a motherboard that has built-in Aquantia 10G port, TB3 and USB 3.1 Gen2 headers and ports, and I already have CAT7 cabling. I plan to replace the NAS with a model that accepts a 10G card upgrade so the 10G router is the final piece of the puzzle.

8. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

then you don't really need a 10G router, you just need a 10G switch. it's probably best to have a separate router and a 10G switch because it will be cheaper, 10G WAN routers are mostly enterprise grade.

if you connect both the NAS (10G) and PC (10G) on the same switch, then this will be 10G throughput.

even if you only have a 1G router it will not be a bottleneck, because traffic will only traverse the router for LAN-WAN connections, but for LAN-LAN then it will be via the 10G switch.

*correction on the asus rog, max port is just 2.5G and not really 10G.

#448 frequenzy, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  9. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Just look for Mikrotik or Ubiquiti router with SFP port that supports 10Gbe.

max_Moon likes this.
  10. legato

legato Active Member

They say 5G will be a major change. Theoretically it can reach up to 10Gbps. Current tests are at 1Gbps.

If that's the case, we'll have to review all our networking gear to handle 1Gbps and beyond.

O joy. Another round of upgrades. LOL.

11. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Eventually. But if history is our guide, I think it'll still be a while before it goes mainstream, at least in the PH. Even 4G didn't happen overnight.

5G requires a very large investment in infrastructure. The micro-cells needs to be closer compared to 3G or 4G... that means, for the same given area, you'll need more 5G cell sites, something like 1 in every 200 meters or less. This increase in cell density actually lends to its ability to handle a higher number of subscribers and bandwidth. And then these cells needs to be able to talk to each other... wired or wireless mesh, perhaps.

legato likes this.
  12. Ikon

Ikon Member

Push through with the upgrade but the Cloud Key will come later since I'm waiting for the 2nd Gen Cloud Key.

[​IMG]

King and Juice like this.
  13. oj88

I.T. folks gets no Easter break...

'Tis the time to do some spring cleaning. Them dust bunnies ain't getting rid of themselves. At the same time, I'm adding another 4TB HDD. This upgrade will bring up the storage capacity to 24TB.

[​IMG]

Other tasks involves mounting an external PTZ CCTV camera (Wyze Cam Pan) and currently, I'm changing out the old busted Cisco 794x/796x IP phones at home with newer Cisco SPA504G phones. The SPA504G's are actually pre-owned units I got off eBay.

One down, three to go:
    [​IMG]

Hmm. It's only Day 1 and now I don't know what to do in the next three days.

#453 oj88, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Sunil_K, Juice and lamski like this.
  14. shelleydiaz

shelleydiaz New Member

15. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

USG or pFsense for each office branch that numbers in 2 dozen site installs.

16. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

If VPN performance is important go for pFsense.

17. oj88

How many users per site?

Just between these two options, I vote USG for out-of-the-box ease of management and its ability to do Deep Packet Inspection (DPI).

pfSense can be a pita to setup and maintain.... I've been there. It's a solid firewall but it's not for the non-techie. It does not natively support helpful features like layer-7 application control (ie. DPI in USG-speak). The latter one is important if you want to control which apps or category of sites your users are allowed or not allowed to access, among others.

Another option is to go with Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X. Not as 'friendly' as USG, but it offers more granular control and is a proper enterprise equipment.

King likes this.
  18. emsy

emsy Active Member

anyone had any success with the edgerouter running globe fiber and pldt fiber? only pldt works on my end.

19. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

20. oj88

It's a fancy NFC tag and QR code 'block'. You can create your own using cheap writeable NFC tags/stickers.

There are QR code generator apps that allows you to print your own QR codes onto stickers, etc.

Juice likes this.