New 2019 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by denpacs, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Theus likes this.
  2. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Still the old design. I was kinda wishing that at least they would lessen the bezels. Also, it's still sporting a 5400-rpm hard drive. Well, at least the keyboard has a numpad now? haha.

#2 warmgreentea, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Theus and porkypork like this.
  3. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

My late 2012 iMac turned 6 last February. I think it can go the distance for another 4 years before needing an upgrade. :) So long as my macOS is updated I'm good to go.

What I find odd with the iMac's Fusion drive still uses a mechanical drive. Apple it's 2019 na! Those drives are for low-end devices, NAS and servers.

My ideal Fusion Drive setup with 250GB NVMe SSD (3,500/3,200 MB/s) for boot & 2TB SATA SSD (~600MB/s) for data with an option for 4TB SATA SSD.

For those on the fence on whether to upgrade now or wait for the 2020 model be aware of this.

Today's iMac was updated for March 2019.

The model before that was updated in June 2017.

An earlier model came out in October 2015.

As you may have noticed Apple has been taking about 21 months to upgrade these iMacs.

I do not blame Apple. Sales of desktops are worse than those of notebooks like the MBP, MB and MBA with upgrade cycles lasting every 6 years.

So if you intend to wait... and wait... then expect the future update to come out around December 2020/January 2021.

#3 yoh_hectic, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Sunil_K, Theus, Qin Zhi and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kleithxx

Kleithxx PhilMUG Addict Member

Been waiting for these! Ive waited for almost 6 months for this new release.

Hoping to snag a good deal with our trusted Apple authorized sellers.

Baka there is a 10% cash discount? Hehe!

Wish it was redesigned tho. I thought the rumors were true that it would somehow looked like the ipad pro.

5. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

That 1TB HDD though... o_O

Theus likes this.
  6. yoh_hectic

Jason Snell conducted an interview with the current iMac Product Manager, Colleen Novielli. (Starts at 4:00)

Part of it included an attempted discussion (Overcast time stamp @ 25:28) as to why the base configuration iMac still comes with a 1TB 5400RPM 2.5" HDD in 2019, but was never actually addressed as Novielli PR-pivoted into Fusion Drive's benefits - despite the fact that Apple doesn't actually offer a Fusion Drive at its base configuration (it's an extra $100).

Theus likes this.
  7. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Disheartening to see 5400rpm still being used on macs. NVMe and SSD prices are now competitive enough. Local APRs should stock up on BTO with SSD options.

Hope there's an iMac Pro refresh with slimmer bezels.

8. Kleithxx

Kleithxx PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi guys! Need your help. I just ordered a BTO iMac 27" and I want to buy another 32gb ram for it.
    The problem is I do now know which is compatible and which is not. Its my first time having a mac and upgrading a ram.

I checked the internet and found these:

OWC 32GB Ram ~ 230 USD
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/2666DDR4S32P/

Crucial 32GB DDR4 2400 MHz SO-DIMM Memory Module Kit ~ 199 USD
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1346254-REG/crucial_ct2k16g4s24am_32gb_kit_16gb_x2.html

G.Skill SODIMM 32GB from Louie of Ayos Computer ~ Php 12,400

I honestly do not know which is the better option among those 3 so please help me. And if you can suggest a different one, please do so.
    Appreciate all the help! Thank you!

9. yoh_hectic

Crass language but I agree with him about the 2019 iMac

10. yoh_hectic

11. yoh_hectic

2019 27" iMac Core i9 8 cores Geekbench scoreboard

1st place for single core and faster than the following
    • 2019 27" iMac Core i5 3.7GHz
    • 2017 27" iMac Core i7
    • 2018 Mac mini Core i7
    • 2019 27" iMac Core i5 3.1GHz
    • 2018 Macbook Pro Core i9
    • 2017 iMac Pro Xeon W
    4th place for single core and slower than the following
    • 2017 iMac Pro Xeon W 10-18 cores (3 different versions)
    http://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

SSD bencmark of the Core i9

[​IMG]

12. jaiii

jaiii New Member

Any idea when will these 2019 updated models be available here in Manila (beyond the box; power mac)

13. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

Are iMacs with spinning hard drives really slow? I'm planning on getting the base model, 21.5 inches with retina but I'm torn between getting it with the 256GB SSD BTO or just get the one with the spinning hard drive and upgrade it myself.

14. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

I would not risk it on opening up the latest iMac. get the BTO via beyond the box with only 10k deposit.

amieldh likes this.
  15. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Cracking it open is the easy part... putting 'em back together spotlessly is the hard part :))

amieldh and Sunil_K like this.
  16. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

These are great machine but Apple is sure milking it with those slow hard drives.

17. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Love the specs of the top BTO iMac. According to the reviews the BTO 8 core is close in raw performance vs even the 10 core iMac Pro, quiet operation even under heavy load, and a relatively good price for what you get. I guess this is another example to the rule that the final reiteration (I assume) of any Apple product is usually the best and most polished. So tempted to get this.

One advantage of getting the pricer Apple SSD BTO is that it outperforms all the current third party internal SSDs you can buy in the market today. Also it is covered by Applecare in case you buy it.

Daughter of Pismo likes this.
  18. yoh_hectic

Alongside a refresh of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro this morning, Apple has also dropped the price on high-end storage upgrades across the Mac lineup. This includes the iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and even the soon-to-be-discontinued Mac Pro.

[​IMG]
    For the most part, 1TB SSD upgrades have dropped by $200 on the iMac, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini; and 2TB SSD upgrades have dropped by $400 on the Mac mini and MacBook Pro. The ultra high-end 4TB SSD upgrade for the MacBook Pro has dropped by $1400.

For the iMac Pro, 2TB SSD upgrades have been marked down by $200, while the 4TB SSD upgrade has dropped by $1200.

The updates continue into the old Mac Pro as well, with the 1TB upgrade dropping by $200. Apple has also removed the 64GB RAM option for the Mac Pro from its store, and made this model only available in 16GB and 32GB options.

Head to Apple.com to see more of the changes to high-end upgrades on the Mac.

19. arlo0611

arlo0611 Member

hi guys,

im planning to get the entry level 27" 2019 imac and bump up a few specs. getting the 8gb RAM and update later as many sites recommend.

my concern is storage. i'm inclined towards going ssd and the only decision is a) to get the 256 and upgrade later (or go external), b) 512 and upgrade later (or go external), or c) whole hog 1 tb.

what do you recommend would be the best value for money?

non-video editor nor photographer here. will be using the imac mostly for wordprocessing, surfing, and movies. a recent crash just wiped out my music so music is empty and photos are on icloud.

thanks in advance for your replies

20. onnyt

onnyt New Member

I bought the i9 modell with 512Gb SSD 8Gb of RAM. The question now is what brand and specs to get for the RAM upgrade. I'm looking for 2 x 16 so total RAM in my unit will be 40 Gb. Is Adata OK brand?

Theus and King like this.