Car change oil.. Follow time or KMS reading?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by mykc, Apr 17, 2015.

1. mykc

mykc Member

Hi guys! Which one do you follow with regards to changing oil, KMS based (5,000/10,000KMS) or time based (6months)? Considering that it is out of warranty.

I'm still deciding if I should get my car back to casa for change oil, but I only ran at about 1,000-2000KMS in a year since last PMS.

2. mnx

mnx Active Member

if your mileage is that low, follow the time based sched stated in your manual... for most that would be every 12 months...

3. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

I normally use per 5K

4. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Really depends on your driving. If it ran only 1,000-2000kms in a year is that multiple short trips 5kms or less with a lot of stop and go driving? or a few long driving for more than an hour or two?

Severe driving (short drives with less than 15min. - 30min of driving in stop and go situation) can be very bad for the engine. follow time based - 6months or less. manufacturer recommendations.

Changing Your Engine Oil Depends On Your Driving: Normal Or Severe?
    Are You Normal or Severe? Learn Which Oil Change Interval is Best for You
    Normal vs. Severe Driving

5. hungryalien

hungryalien Active Member

for me, whatever comes first. either the 5000km or the 6month range.

then again, depends on your driving style.

6. HiluxVigo04

HiluxVigo04 Member

For me, i have the oil changed religiously every 5K kilometers. :)

7. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

If you clock less than 5k kms every 6 months better change oil with regular oil. At least its way cheaper and you can change it every 6 months. If you clock more than 5kms every 6 months then it would be better to use semi or full synthetic at least you get your money's worth. At least that's how I do it. I usually check the quality of the oil in the dipstick to see whether the color, consistency and smell of the oil needs changing or not.:)

8. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Yeah, I agree depending on your driving style. Or 5k or 6 months. Also consider the air quality we have here. Even if it isn't 6 months yet, sometimes you can tell if the car is sluggish.

9. mykc

mykc Member

Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking to do every 5,000KMS or 1 year, whichever comes first? For 6 month rule and low mileage, isn't it a bit waste to get it back to casa, coz they stick to their package of PMS, of which some items are not really needed for low mileage? I called them to ask for a quote, they said the service package done should be 30,000PMS even though my actual KMS reading is just below 10,000KMS.

Also, do you guys include the "engine oil flushing"?

10. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Don't bring it back to the dealership for change oil. You can have that done at reputable gas stations at a fraction of the cost since its already out of warranty anyways. Depending on what type of vehicle you have, you'd probably shell out around 1 to 1.5k pesos for regular oil. If synthetic oils, depends on brand and price and how much your engine requires. I use Shell HX-7 semi synthetic and my engine uses around 8 liters at 300/liter so around 2.4k to 3k.

Engine oil flushing is not required. Its optional. I don't use it.

Also, some dealerships scams customers by charging them say 8 liters of oil while they only changed half of the oil. Some engines when changed oil and upon start up of the engine even for a minute or two will turn the engine oil black so it'll be hard for the customer to determine whether the dealership did indeed change the oil. For the Toyota 2.5L D4D diesel engines, when you change the oil, even when you have already clocked around 100kms, the oil is still clean like new. You can tell if the Toyota dealership did change the oil:) Mitsubishi engines can turn clean oil into black dirty oil as soon as soon as you start it up.

11. ste@lth

ste@lth Well-Known Member

go for the time mode specially if your doing 5K a year, saves a lot of money.

12. panis

panis Well-Known Member

I also schedule oil change religiously every 5k kms and I use regular oil, no synthetics. Flushing? I don't usually go for it.

#12 panis, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  13. chrisgel

chrisgel Member

Every 10k with my old corolla. Every 5k for diesel engine. What i do is i purchase the oil filter and gasket from Toyota and i go elsewhere for labor like Servitek. Saves me a lot of money.

14. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

every 10k with my honda jazz

15. jasonub

jasonub Member

Once a year or 5 k whichever comes first. What car and model year do you have?

16. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

6 months or 10k on my Civic.

But I only average about 1k km a month so I do the PMS every 6 mos.

17. mykc

mykc Member

Planning on doing the 5,000KMS or 1 year whichever comes first next time.. I'm not sure if it is really ok to store oil for more than a year in an engine. Other people said "hindi naman daw napapanis ang oil", so why waste money on changing oils on a low mileage.

Or just to be safe, just change oil outside casa as most of you guys recommend. Buy original parts from casa then do the service outside. Just wondering, how about other stuffs that casa does in a regular PMS?

18. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

6 months and just use regular oil. Don't bring it to casa just for changing oil especially now, you said its already out of warranty.

19. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

The advantage of taking it to the dealer or a capable garage is that, they do more than just change the oil. A PMS should be comprehensive and things like, lubricating suspension/brake parts or inspecting for leaks and worn parts before they give out, among others, are typically part of the scope. They are also better equipped to fix almost everything like having special tools and the ever so important torque wrench.... no more stripped bolts and such. In my case, I only have my car serviced at Honda SPA along Mindanao Ave. They're different from the other casas in that, you are allowed to see or even be by your car as it is being serviced on a lift. You're also free to interact with the technicians from whom you stand to even learn a few secrets specific to your car.

20. DenzDaniel

DenzDaniel Active Member

Hi, I think it would be best if you do it every 3000 miles or 5000 km. It is very important to keep your engine lubricated.
    You changed the oil filter as well, same time doing the oil change.

Some important things to check when you get your car serviced are for leaks, fluids, lamps, break pads and tire balance.

I'm not a professional... But, I always get those check-ups whenever I get my oil changed. ;)