iPad Air vs iPad Mini with Retina Display

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by ironclaw79, Oct 23, 2013.

1. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

How do you do this? I have a Note 3 and iPad Air, and I have videos and pics on the Note 3. Thanks!

2. acid_burn628

acid_burn628 Active Member

Wanna watch it in a bigger screen ei?

Ok. Here goes...

For transferring files(movies or photos or docs)on the go with no requirement of local network (works like wifi direct), install fast file transfer in your note 3. This app allows you to send files from android to any device (ios,Mac,windows) by inputting the IP address on your web browser. Just follow app instructions. For streaming though, install vlc in your ipad air and instead of inputting the IP address in your web browser, input it on vlc in the open stream section.

For streaming photos and videos on a local network, use remoteplay app on both devices. This is a very good app and can share to multiple devices on the same local network.

I am still in search for a better solution as fast file transfer sometimes do not work at transferring very large files as my safari closes in the middle of the transfer. Maybe my safari is the problem. Can't make it work in chrome too.

Feem is better at transferring large files but this would require you to be in the same local network. Send anywhere is also good. Same with feem, however, files are saved in the documents and data section of your ipad and eats up space. Even if you have deleted the file, the storage space is still not lessened. Uninstalling the app and reinstalling it again is the only solution.

if you know other approach, please share. Just want to save money than buying the expensive seagate wireless plus hard drive.

I hope this helps.

#222 acid_burn628, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

I can't make it work with vlc.

4. hyperfab566

hyperfab566 Member

Bigger screen streaming pics and video from ios. Smart tv + wifi router + ArcMc . So far so good on this setup.

5. acid_burn628

Did you use vlc in ipad and fast file transfer in android? Ipad should be connected to android via fast file transfer wifi.

6. francisian

I did. IPad is connected to note then used the IP add on vlc. It still won't play.

7. acid_burn628

Did you use it on the open network stream section of vlc? It should work. Download doesn't. Try using a different video format and see if that works.

8. francisian

Already tried different versions and it still wouldn't work. I can transfer files successfully though

9. acid_burn628

I have made a video about it. Please see link below..

How to stream movies from S4 to ipad - YouTube

Notice that streaming started a bit slow. That is not always the case. Sometimes it is quick. Once streaming starts, it plays smooth.

10. ivin

ivin Active Member

guys i think you're deviating away from the topic :D

11. acid_burn628

Sorry about that. To Francisian, let me know if you got it working.

Now going back to the topic, I had my ipad mini RD for almost a month now and I can say that I have never been happier. I use my ipad mini retina to just about practically everything. I have an iPhone 5 and a samsung galaxy s4-lte-a but I now seldom use them and use my ipad most of the time instead. It stole my attention from my smartphones because I am now using my ipad mini retina just like how I use my smartphones. My smartphones now are just for calls and SMS.

Overall, I am in love with my ipad mini retina and I am not going out without it. Surely, the ipad air's screen quality is better but I am confident that I am not gonna use it like how I use my mini if I had one.

#231 acid_burn628, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  12. francisian

Thats exactly why i want the mini retina although i have the ipad air

13. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

You know what would be nice?

The ability to charge my iPhone using the iPad, wirelessly.

You can place your iPhone on top of your iPad, then boom, instant juice.

14. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

i've been so decided on getting an ipad air, but after reading some user experienes, i'm having 2nd thoughts. haha.

my usage of the iPad 2 has been primarily for those moments before going to sleep. and it's impossible to hold it using one hand, so i have to prop it on a pillow on top of my chest for me to be able to use it.

the only inhibition i have in getting an iPad mini is that I use Zinio a lot for reading magazines, and i'm worried that i will have to zoom in/out oftenly if i opt to get a mini. as much as possible I want to eliminate the need for zooming in, because in my iPad 2, i have to zoom in quite often because the screen isn't retina.

even though the mini's screen is already retina, i'm worried that the text will still be too small to read and might still require some zooming in? anybody have any experience with reading magazines on a mini RD?

15. rimewire

rimewire Active Member

Definitely the iPad Air for reading magazines. But if you really want to check the readability of texts/magazines for yourself on the mini with Retina, you can always go to a Beyond the Box branch. They have units on display.

16. acid_burn628

Most stores now have units in display. Just go to any mall near you and you will find a display unit. Test it out and see if that works for you.

for me, the retina RD is already good. I still have 25/25 vision though.

17. ivin

ivin Active Member

really depends on the eyesight and the text being read,
    tried textbooks and magazines, sometimes i need to zoom, and sometimes i dont, better try the demo units first :)

18. zeno

zeno Member

I have owned iPad 1, 2, 3 and the mini 1st gen. I was really happy with the mini with its portability. Never hesitated bringing it outside the house as it fits even my smallest field bag.

When the new iPads came out a few weeks ago at local stores, I was already deadest on getting the new mini RD, but when I tested the Air in the showrooms, I started vacillating. The Air was just impossibly light. I suddenly missed the full size iPad. It was just a pleasure to read on the full size screen of the Air, especially with tired eyes at the end of a long day.

The weight reduction in the Air really won me over. I got the 128gb. No regrets!

Funny thing now is I also want to get the mini RD. Trying hard to resist the temptation!

19. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

Haha! If you have the cash to burn, then why not! :p Unfortunately, i can only choose one of the two hehe. I'm already being swayed by the mini RD's price & portability... But i still somehow want the full size experience.. Cant decide, lol...

20. ygee

ygee Member

I have been a long time iPad 3 user, and the weight reduction of the Air is really significant. But when I lifted the iPad Mini RD, it really has no competition. For 1 handed use, like lying in bed or for long reads, or you just want to carry an iPad everywhere, the iPad Mini has the ideal weight and display size for me. There's also no longer a friction switching to and from the Kindle Paperwhite to the iPad Mini, it just feels seamless. Not like before, when switching from the the lightweight Kindle in a small screen to the heavyweight iPad 3 with a big screen, it seems like I always need to adjust for a while. Regarding the Color Gamut issue with the iPad Mini RD; with my regular use, I didn't notice any loss in vibrancy, coming from an iPad 3. Maybe it's all just in the numbers and meticulous inspection, but not really noticeable in normal usage :p

All in all, I'm very very happy with the iPad Mini RD. It was a hard find since it's always Sold Out, while the Air seems to be always available. I'm glad I was able to resist the Air :cool:

#240 ygee, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014