Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thunderbolt! The new high-speed standard? (plus: more leaked MBP rumors)

This is a discussion on Thunderbolt! The new high-speed standard? (plus: more leaked MBP rumors) within the Rumors Archives forums, part of the Mac Rumors category; Something that will hit you like a Thunderbolt! Macbook Pro Specs: Lightpeak known as Thunderbolt! http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/23/...s-thunderbolt/ So Displayport is now ...

Liked
    1287 times
    Real Name
    Leo Castillo

Default Thunderbolt! The new high-speed standard? (plus: more leaked MBP rumors)

Something that will hit you like a Thunderbolt!

Macbook Pro Specs: Lightpeak known as Thunderbolt!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/23/...s-thunderbolt/

So Displayport is now LightPeak aka Thunderbolt?
    The name makes sense the more I think about it... Thunderbolt implies speed and implies it will supply power.

And check out the new MBP Specs! (in German)

What looks disappointing: 13" is STILL 1280x800. The last MacBook Air already beat that!
    But then again there's probably a low end and a high end 13".

Leo

Liked
    491 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

Default Re: Thunderbolt! The new high-speed standard? (plus: more leaked MBP rumors)

Wow interesting find! THUNDERBOLT! Interesting name - does have a jolt to it! Macrumors confirmed that this is the low end MBP so I think that the hi res screen will probably be available in the higher end model or BTO, perhaps? Can't wait!

PS. I'm a little disappointed that the MBP was not redesigned, no dedicated GPU or no USB 3 but wow a i5 CPU for the LOW END! (I also hope this is the 999 USD replacement for the white Macbook)

---wait-- on the other hand, this could simply be a Photoshop...better take this with a grain of salt...
    The nuns of the Missionaries of Charity urgently need donations of Lysol disinfectant for their ministry work. Please click here to help them!

Liked
    1287 times
    Real Name
    Leo Castillo

Default Re: Thunderbolt! The new high-speed standard? (plus: more leaked MBP rumors)

I'm checking out the buzz. It seems there's now a lot of confirmation that these images are LEGIT.

And looks like someone got a shot of the specs in ENGLISH!!!!

Surprise! Intel i5 not i3!
    New Facetime HD Camera!
    SDXC Card Slot!
    Still the same size and weight.

My biggest disappointment? No SSD!

Looks like I might get the high end 13"... unless something amazing shows up in the 15"!

Leo

Liked
    491 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

Yeah the even the specs for the Hard Disk is low, only 320 GBs. If this is indeed the model that will replace the white Macbook I would be very pleased. Unfortunately this might also kill the resale value of a lot of the current unibody 13 inch Macbook Pros as the i5 is a huge leap over the Core2Duo...
    Last edited by Salaryman Ryan; 02-23-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    The nuns of the Missionaries of Charity urgently need donations of Lysol disinfectant for their ministry work. Please click here to help them!

Liked
    258 times

Thanks for this Leo. I was about to get an MBP this week. I can wait a few more weeks
    iPhone 5 Black 32gb, iPad Air 64gb Cellular, iPod 4th Gen, iPod Classic, Fuji X100s

Liked
    491 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

Reading the Macrumors forums, it seems the rumor mongers are all disappointed because they believed all the fantastic speculations on the next update.

Liked
    1287 times
    Real Name
    Leo Castillo

Quote Originally Posted by Salaryman Ryan View Post
    Reading the Macrumors forums, it seems the rumor mongers are all disappointed because they believed all the fantastic speculations on the next update.
    Well, let's see. I'm thinking we're just seeing the entry level MBP.
    I can still see the SSD option as a strong possibility. We'll find out tomorrow.

Leo

Liked
    3 times
    Real Name
    Paul M. Juco

damn! i5 on that 13.3!

What does lightpeak/thunderbolt do, aside for it being faster that USB 3? I don't find any devices that are using this technology currently. Is this for future standards? Can anyone educate me on this matter?

Liked
    1300 times

@P-M-J Here's what I know: it is an intramural on which standard will prevail. Right now the fight is USB 3.0 vs. Light Peak. Light Peak is much faster but USB, in it's earlier iteration (1.0 and 2.0) is widely adopted. Intel is pushing it for obvious reason (they made it) but it remains to be seen whether hardware manufacturers (of the end-user devices) will jump on the Light Peak bandwagon. The deciding factor, in my opinion, is cost and backward-compatibility (will it support existing hardware?). Light Peak is supposed to be pure optical but it appears that the first Lighpeak product will be copper-based (possibly a cost-cutting move). USB 3.0 has failed, thus far, to take off simply because chipmaker Intel and ATI have not supported it. Some motherboard manufacturers have been selling USB 3.0-equipped motherboards but it is not true USB 3.0 because they have to introduce their own specific chip sets to power "USB 3.0" devices and typically limited to only two 3.0 ports (like the Asus X58 mobo I've been using since last year). There are a number of peripherals now that can take advantage of 3.0 but it has not been selling in significant numbers.

Light Peak is being billed as Intel's attempt to manufacture a superfast cable to replace all cables (not just USB but PCIe, SCSI, firewire, etc.). So, which standard will prevail? The answer is still up in the air (and this reminds me of the Betamax vs. VHS fight or HD-dvd vs. Blu-ray). Is it something that concerns mainstream consumers? Absolutely not. But in time, it may.
    Astell & Kern AK240 + iBasso DX100 + Hifiman HM801 + iPod Classic + Sony PCM-D100 + Fostex TH900 + ATH W3000 ANV + Grado PS1000 + Heir Audio 8.0 + Noble Audio 6W + AKG K3003i + Sennheiser HD 800 + Fitear To Go! 334 + Shure 846 + Audeze LCD X + Oppo PM1 + Cypher Labs Theorem 720 + Alo Audio PanAm/Passport + Hifi M8 LX + Woo Audio WA7 + Chord Hugo (Black)

Liked
    2 times

Talking Re: Thunderbolt! The new high-speed standard? (plus: more leaked MBP rumors)

Ive been wanting to get my hands on a new MBP since last month, I guess the refresh is one of the reasons why the stocks are at an all time low, in any case that these rumors are true, what are the odds that it will come here to Manila? and when?

From the leaked specs, which MacRumors claim to be LEGIT; should I get the new MBP instead of the 2010 model? Though I assume because of this spec bump, there might be a reasonable decrease in the price of the old models (if they wont be phased out by the time the new ones come out), is this right?

Any news about the expected launch tomorrow? Will it push through, because if it will, I might as well wait it out for a few more weeks then. (hoping that the price won't be too steep)..

Looking forward to your updates..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast