Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Removing stolen mac report

This is a discussion on Removing stolen mac report within the MugFeedback Archives forums, part of the Archived Threads category; Originally Posted by Mad Mac If the story is true, just furnish the new owner the original receipts that matches ...

Liked
    2 times

Default Re: Removing stolen mac report

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    If the story is true, just furnish the new owner the original receipts that matches the laptop serial number. Prepare a deed of sale that will authenticate transfer of ownership. Furnish him a copy of the police report of the recovery to protect him in the future.

lorraelena, my observation is not just about your case. Don't take it personally. I am just questioning the existence of an unverified database. For example, we just can't make a thread listing sex offenders whose names are submitted my virtually anonymous forum participants.
    And that's why I regret posting it up in the first place. I was really just trying to help out a friend but it seems like he'll be going through hoops just to fix the whole situation.

But I'll tell him about your suggestions and hope it's easy for him to get all the necessary documents to sell his recovered laptop.
    Upgraded my unibody aluminum MacBook to a MacBook Pro

It's nice to hear your friend got his mbp back.
    It's curious that the "people" who gave it back to your friend bought the mbp even if they knew it was stolen.
    “Price tags advertise your pride,
    Since when did what we pay for coloured cloth gauge our gravity?”

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemymbp View Post
    It's nice to hear your friend got his mbp back.
    It's curious that the "people" who gave it back to your friend bought the mbp even if they knew it was stolen.
    I'm not sure if they know it was stolen because they (supposedly) got word of it from their messenger who knows the dealer (who really buys from the bad guys). When they caught the guys on the motorcycles, the police raided the apartment of one of the guys and found many other stolen items.

So, they buy the mbp from "the dealer"(who really buys from the bad guys) but at that time, they did not know that the dealer buys from the bad guys, and they only found that out when the guys on the motorcycles were caught by the police?
    Head spinning.
    So then they did not want to be associated with the crime, hence, they return the MBP?
    Don't mind me, i just can't stand mystery or unsolved puzzles.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemymbp View Post
    So, they buy the mbp from "the dealer"(who really buys from the bad guys) but at that time, they did not know that the dealer buys from the bad guys, and they only found that out when the guys on the motorcycles were caught by the police?
    Head spinning.
    So then they did not want to be associated with the crime, hence, they return the MBP?
    Don't mind me, i just can't stand mystery or unsolved puzzles.
    They realized it could have been stolen because the hard drive wasn't reformatted. My friend's name and password was still there so they couldn't really use the hard drive. They only bought the hard drive because the dealer took it out of the unit.

So they contacted my friend since his name was still there on the login screen.

Whether they knew that it was stolen before buying it or not, I'm just glad that they decided to do the right thing. They should have checked it before buying it though, but it's a good thing for my friend that they didn't.

A good thing indeed.

Liked
    1 times

I'm with Mad Mac on this. There should be safeguards in place to prevent abuse. A troll could potentially just cruise around the ads section, take the serials, and post them up as stolen.

(Off-topic, but probably useful)

Another side benefit of having AppleCare - your serial number is associated to your user account in the Apple database.

Still not 100% fool-proof, but it'd be stupid (not to mention quite expensive) to register AppleCare for hardware you don't own, right?

medyo OT: my sister-in-law‘s mbp was stolen from her gym bag, inside a classroom in ateneo college. sad, huh?!

Liked
    123 times
    Real Name
    Louie Salapare

Quote Originally Posted by julskie View Post
    medyo OT: my sister-in-law‘s mbp was stolen from her gym bag, inside a classroom in ateneo college. sad, huh?!
    so even in Ateneo, there are thieves..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast