Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

App to remove background in photos

This is a discussion on App to remove background in photos within the Photo Archives forums, part of the Archived Threads category; I remember seeing (via Google Alerts, I think) an app that lets you easily select an object so you can ...

Liked
    76 times

Default App to remove background in photos

I remember seeing (via Google Alerts, I think) an app that lets you easily select an object so you can crop out the background. The example they showed was separating a dog (with fur sticking out) from the background. For the life of me, I can't seem to find that app again. Tried searching MacUpdate and VersionTracker but no luck. Maybe you guys know what I'm talking about. It's not a Photoshop plugin or anything.
    Mac Switcher since February 24, 2003
    13" MacBook Pro (Retina Late 2013) 2.6 GHz Core i5 / 8 GB / 500 GB
    iPhone 5 32 GB / iPad mini 64 GB WiFi / Apple TV 3rd Gen / Panasonic Lumix LX5 White / Microsoft Xbox One / Sony PS3 Slim 250 GB / Synology DiskStation DS413j

Default Re: App to remove background in photos

Any graphics tool that has a good magic wand tool can select an object out of a distinct background. The key is in your wand settings: senstitivity, feathering, etc.

Of course there's Photoshop and Photoshop Elements (a feature limited, cheaper version), and there's also free Gimp for Macintosh, MacGimp (related, but different, like OpenOffice.org for Mac and NeoOffice), Seashore (also based on Gimp, but doesn't require x11), Cinepaint (widely used by Hollywood for exactly that).

For shareware, there's Graphic Converter, which you'll probably need anyway since it has so many useful graphic manipulation tools.

Find more free Mac apps here.

Liked
    50 times
    Real Name
    Rolly Ceballos

is that photoshop elements 5? I remember looking at the same sort of feature tour using the dog and adding it to a family picture.
    Rolly
    A Black Macbook, a 2010 15" MBP and an iPhone

MobileJunkie blog | bacchus_3 flickr

Liked
    1125 times
    Real Name
    Leo Castillo

You won't believe this, but Keynote '08 has this feature. They call it Instant Alpha.
    It's not as sophisticated as using Photoshop or some other hi-end photo software, but it'll do in a pinch. :-)

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGaerlan View Post
    I remember seeing (via Google Alerts, I think) an app that lets you easily select an object so you can crop out the background. The example they showed was separating a dog (with fur sticking out) from the background. For the life of me, I can't seem to find that app again. Tried searching MacUpdate and VersionTracker but no luck. Maybe you guys know what I'm talking about. It's not a Photoshop plugin or anything.
    Hi Patrick,
    I think the app you saw might be Corel Knockout. Its an application created about 3 years ago for the sole purpose of extracting complex subjects from its background, specially subjjects with hair sticking out. Corel knockout can also be installed into Photoshop.

There is another software called "Essentials" made by OneOne Software that 's a plugin for Photoshop elements. Sorry if I could not provide you a more definite info.

Liked
    1 times
    Real Name
    Robbie Villegas

My brother uses ultimatte, its a photoshop plugin and it does the job well. of course, you get better results if the subject was shot against a green/blue screen. im not sure if there's a stand alone version.

Liked
    2 times

in photoshop you can use the extract filter.

Liked
    81 times
    Real Name
    JC

I also use Photoshop for PP-ing stuffs like this one(removing chosen subject from it's background).
    MBP Corei7 I MBP CD I MB C2D I iPod Nano + Nike Plus Kit/Flyknit I MM I AEBS(n) I AEX(n) I iPod Touch I iPhone 5s I iPAd Mini I AppleTV(2nd gen) I .Me I Nikon system 500px Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGaerlan View Post
    Hi Patrick. There's Corel Knockout and onOne Software's Mask Pro (used to be from Extensis). Both of them are good but Mask Pro can be bought either as a standalone program or as a Photoshop plugin. HTH

~hacksaw

Liked
    2 times

i've used knockout as well! it's a very good program and very easy to learn! if you'll buy a masking program that's the one i would recommend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast