Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Building a Home Recording Studio

This is a discussion on Building a Home Recording Studio within the Musicians Archives forums, part of the Archived Threads category; This week, I embarked on a new project: Building my home recording studio. Threads already exist in this forum that ...

Liked
    2355 times
    Real Name
    Roland Benzon

Default Building a Home Recording Studio

This week, I embarked on a new project: Building my home recording studio.

Threads already exist in this forum that are related to this subject, including:I do not know if anyone in PhilMUG has used a thread as a blog, but I intend to do so; to chronicle the design, construction and set-up of my studio--and, of course, so PhilMUGgers can help me shape the design and construction with their feedback.

That said, however, I must qualify the following: This is my DIY project, which I intend to use for my personal enjoyment. My objectives--and budget--are drastically different from commercial recording studios, such as those enviable builds by vicicasas, sound-weavers, et al. So pardon me, if this endeavor seem pedestrian to the pros.

If you want pro advice, google Mike Pedero, who posts regularly on the PhilMusic Talk Board, and has built some of the country's most well-known studios. Or you can holler on this forum, and hope that the pros are reading.

Hope you enjoy my build and blog!

Coming up, my first post...
    Last edited by rbenzon; 08-01-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Liked
    2355 times
    Real Name
    Roland Benzon

Default Re: Building a Home Recording Studio

My posts on this thread echo my blog about my personal studio.

SQUARE ONE: WHAT I WANT

What we want is usually a world away from what we need. And then, there’s what we can afford, which typically puts neither within reach.

So here’s my plan: To build my studio like a home recording studio, but not use it like one.

Huh?

Well, my primary goal is to have a private getaway from all the urban jungle noise. I could go out of town for some tranquility, which I occasionally do, or build a sanity room in my house for on-demand quiet time.

For now, I intend to use my studio for the following purposes, in order of my anticipated usage frequency: 1) as a work/study den; 2) music studio, where I can practice playing my V-Drums, guitar, keyboard, and maybe write a few songs; 3) alternative home entertainment center, in case my living room home theater is being used by my family; 4) occasional jamming/demo recording with friends; and 5) as an occasional (once or twice a year) guest room.

That said, I will build this studio as a versatile quiet room, instead of a dedicated home recording studio with separate tracking and control rooms. Still, most of the building specifications will approximate that of a modest home recording studio.

Liked
    2355 times
    Real Name
    Roland Benzon

I SAW DESIGN

To design my studio, I used Live Interior 3D from Belight Software. It was fairly easy to learn, and a joy to use. One of its cool features is its ability to import objects/models from Google’s 3D Warehouse. In fact, all the objects in my prototype were obtained from 3D Warehouse. Resizing the objects were easier to do on Live Interior 3D than using Google’s SketchUp--which could be fun, but not necessary for my needs; I was modeling the room, not designing objects. The 3D-rendered images can be seen in my gallery of studio-in-progress snapshots (if you cannot see the photos, trying browsing the link via Safari). And, of course, everything was done on my Macs.
    Last edited by rbenzon; 08-01-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbenzon View Post
    I do not know if anyone in PhilMUG has used a thread as a blog, but I intend to do so; to chronicle the design, construction and set-up of my studio.
    There's a reason why this is called a forum... and why blogs are called blogs. Please do your blogging on your blog.

Liked
    2355 times
    Real Name
    Roland Benzon

Well, Mr. Mod. It was hard to discern the sarcasm in your smiley.

Think of it as a build that is shaped by this forum! The "blog" posts merely serve as fodder for more discussions!

There are forums elsewhere with blog-like threads, but I prefer the warm and cozy feel of PhilMug, thanks to your open embrace.

Liked
    2 times

Cool Re: Building a Home Recording Studio

Good luck to your home recording studio build. The 3D plans are looking really good.

Well, since the original poster has already pointed out that four similar threads about his topic already exist in this forum, there's no need for a new one. Please just add to the existing ones. Thanks.