Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help on a Dragon Portrait

This is a discussion on Need help on a Dragon Portrait within the Graphic Archives forums, part of the Archived Threads category; I was planning on making a portrait of a proud, noble and fiercely intelligent dragon. This is what I came ...

Louvette

Default Need help on a Dragon Portrait

I was planning on making a portrait of a proud, noble and fiercely intelligent dragon. This is what I came up with so far but I'm not really satisfied with it. I hate the way the wings are posed too but I can't think of a better way of posing them. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dunno if this helps but try this (got this from the upcoming Harry Potter movie)

honestly, it doesnt look "intelligent" as it is... :angel: maybe you should rent a copy of the original dragon heart and get some posing tips there.

i think the eyes should be more deep set, the jaw more narrow, and maybe the horns closer together? and maybe you could do away with the "hair" or something. and make the neck a bit bigger/wider?

Louvette

Originally posted by Gomi
    honestly, it doesnt look "intelligent" as it is...
    I know. Which is why I wasn't satisfied with it. I know I have to do something with the eyes, as the eyes are the ones that give the hint of intelligence.

Also, now that I look at it, perhaps green isn't the right colour. A green dragon like this one looks like a much lesser sort of dragon in terms of "evolution" (much like swamp monsters). I wonder if a brown or black dragon looks better?

Obeywan: thanks for the tips. I'll try them out.

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by Louvette]

this might help...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked
    1 times

ditto on the eyes, maybe bigger and/or a different color.

the top horns are drooping down, which makes your dragon less proud and more meek.

the hair also doesn't fit with a 'proud' image. make it thicker maybe? or perhaps remove it altogether. or maybe even a beard

i think green is a decent color, though

good luck on the dragon, post the updated one when you're finished with it :cheers:

Originally posted by bluboi
    the top horns are drooping down, which makes your dragon less proud and more meek.
    i agree. maybe you should also try looking at dinosaur images and try getting features from these ancient lizards. or maybe try looking at how different countries visualize dragons -- japanese, chinese, british, scotts, africans, etc. i'd like to think that asians view dragons as a wise creature rather than westerners, but this may just be my bias. hehehe.

the hair also doesn't fit with a 'proud' image. make it thicker maybe? or perhaps remove it altogether. or maybe even a beard
    onga.. if you like the hair, make it a proud mane, like that of a horse siguro, pero baka not like a lion's. make it longer siguro.

ang galing mo mag-model in 3d! what do you use? i tried my hands on blender once, pero narealize ko nde ako pang-3d. or slow lang ako talaga. hahahaha.

Louvette

Bluboi: Now this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestions! :cheers:

Obeywan: Nah di ako gumawa ng model. It's from DAZ Productions - one of the leading suppliers of 3D content. I used their software called DAZ|Studio to produce the image. The base software is for free :love: but you have to register first (that's for free too). Go check it out and tell me what you think. Personally I like it a lot and I use it almost exclusively to do 3D images (Check out my gallery - most of them are done using D|S).

[Edited on 2-10-2005 by Louvette]

Liked
    130 times
    Real Name
    Kenneth Chua

Great render. Thats fantastic work.

It looks nice and fierce. If you want to make it look more intelligent, my suggestion is to make it look older so that it visually conveys that this guy has been around the block a few times so don't mess with him. Makes him look experienced. Not geriatric old but like the Dragon Heart movie.

The green color is a bit too rich, which makes it look young and "green" speaking metaphorically. Maybe less saturation. I suggest you take a look at Chinese dragons which are always drawn as such. I'm sure you'll find a few visual tips there.

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Kenneth]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast