Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Time capsule radio mode.

This is a discussion on Time capsule radio mode. within the Wired-NOT Archives forums, part of the Archived Threads category; Is there a difference between 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible) and 802.11n (5Ghz) radio mode setting in terms of speed?...

Default Time capsule radio mode.

Is there a difference between 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible) and 802.11n (5Ghz) radio mode setting in terms of speed?
    iMac 24" | MBP 15" | Time Capsule | AppleTV 160GB | iPhone 3G 8GB

Liked
    70 times
    Real Name
    Rolly Ceballos

Default Re: Time capsule radio mode.

The first one broadcasts b/g/n protocols which will actually be slower since it has to manage noise from other frequencies and/or have additional quick-switching to feed b/g/n networks. All of them work at the 2.4Ghz frequency. It is also possible that other b/g wireless routers are in the vicinity adding more noise, thus slowing down the network.

The latter is pure 802.11n and in a different 5Ghz frequency. In a way, in this frequency it is quieter (no conflict with noise on other wifi routers) and can maximize the throughput/speed of your wireless network.

I hope that was simple simple enough.

For example, I use my AEBS in 802.11n 5Ghz mode directly with my MB and I have a Belkin b/g router in bridge/access point mode for other devices. Makes the speed of my MB's airport network stable and faster than if I'm using the b/g radio frequency.
    Rolly
    A Black Macbook, a 2010 15" MBP and an iPhone

MobileJunkie blog | bacchus_3 flickr

Default Re: Time capsule radio mode.

Please bear in mind that at 5ghz frequency, the signal degrades easier if there are obstacles in the way such as doors, walls etc.

But the speed gains if you use it for time machine or data storage are very noticeable.
    You never know how strong you really are until being strong is the only choice you have