Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to put a password in my Lyksys wifi router?

This is a discussion on How to put a password in my Lyksys wifi router? within the Wired-NOT Archives forums, part of the Archived Threads category; How can i put a password in my Lyksys wifi router? sorry im really clueless and have no idea how ...

Liked
    3 times

Default How to put a password in my Lyksys wifi router?

How can i put a password in my Lyksys wifi router?

sorry im really clueless and have no idea how to do it...

I asked the person who installed my globelines braodband and he doesnt know a thing how to do it.

thanks!!

Default Re: How to put a password in my Lyksys wifi router?

1. open up your browser
    2. put in the url -> http://192.168.1.1
    3. a username and password prompt appears: input just the password (which is "admin")
    4. go to the administration tab
    5. input your new password twice.
    6. that's it. while you're at it, you might want to put in WPA-Personal encryption and update the firmware as well to the latest version.

good luck

which password are you referring to?? the one to configure your setup?? is it the one to have someone access your network???

if you're referring to the network access... there is the Security tab where you can choose to use a WEP... wherein if someone wants to access your network they need to know your password...

try to browse all the tabs... there is always an explanation of what is shown on the tabs...

if this is a home setup.... i suggest you not to broadcast your SSID... and have the MAC filter on...

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    1. open up your browser
    2. put in the url -> http://192.168.1.1
    3. a username and password prompt appears: input just the password (which is "admin")
    4. go to the administration tab
    5. input your new password twice.
    6. that's it. while you're at it, you might want to put in WPA-Personal encryption and update the firmware as well to the latest version.

good luck
    COOL!! hey thanks maverick!! I was able to change the password. but i really didnt get it on how to put the WPA and update the firmware?

Thanks so much!!

Liked
    891 times
    Real Name
    Elbert Cuenca

RE: Firmware update:
    Go to Linksys Technical Support and Downloads to download the latest firmware for your model. Keep in mind that each model (i.e. WRT54G) will have different versions, like v1, v2, v3, etc. You can tell which version your hardware is by looking at the bottom of the unit. Once you download the latest firmware, unzip the file and leave it at the desktop temporarily.

Following Maverick's steps, under the administration tab, select the Firmware Upgrade sub-tab. Click Choose File and locate the unzipped .bin file your desktop. When ready, click Upgrade and wait. DO NOT do anything while it's upgrading, or you might brick your router.

After you've upgraded, you can delete the downloaded files.

Firmware updates are advisable because they usually resolve issues.

Good luck.
     Mid 2013 13" MacBook Air 1.3GHz 256GB Late 2012 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz Late 2010 11" MacBook Air 1.4GHz 64GB Mid 2010 Mac mini 8GB RAM 32GB iPhone 5S 16GB Blue iPhone 5C 64GB iPad Air 2013 AirPort Extreme + AirPort Express 3rd Gen AppleTV

www.steakroom.com

Liked
    3 times

guys,

i was able to chnage the password and upgraded the firmware (thanks maverick and elbert).

aamm... is that password for people not to be able to access my wifi? or is it just for the admin password? I tried using the PC laptop of my sis and she was able to access my wifi w/o asking for the password? did i do it right? or thats a dif password config?thats the password i need so people wont be able to access my wifi w/o my permit because i live in a condo bldg.

thanks guys!!

oh, and elbert my wrt54g has firmware ver 3.01.1 . should i download the ver 5 or still go to ver 3.0 and get the updatated last firm ver which is 4.20.7?

thanks agaian guys!!

Liked
    891 times
    Real Name
    Elbert Cuenca

Hi juanp. The password under the administration tab is for admin purposes, to keep other people away from configuring your system without your knowledge.

The password under Wireless Security is to keep unauthorized people from accessing your wireless router. You really should install security, especially because you live in a condo. Try WPA personal, it's pretty simple to use.

At home, I'm using WEP 64 bits 10 hex digits. I've also disabled Wireless SSID Broadcast and activated Wireless MAC filter. In other words, I have a password, I've hidden the SSID and have listed specific computers that can use my wireless. I live in a condo too.

As for firmware, like I said, it really all depends on the hardware version of your WRT54G you have. Be careful and upload only the firmware that's specifically for your unit.

For example, I have a version 5 router, so the latest firmware for my particular model is v1.00.6.
    Last edited by elbert; 04-16-2006 at 10:59 PM.
     Mid 2013 13" MacBook Air 1.3GHz 256GB Late 2012 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz Late 2010 11" MacBook Air 1.4GHz 64GB Mid 2010 Mac mini 8GB RAM 32GB iPhone 5S 16GB Blue iPhone 5C 64GB iPad Air 2013 AirPort Extreme + AirPort Express 3rd Gen AppleTV

www.steakroom.com

How do I install a WEP password in my network? I tried to do it last week via 192.168.1.1. After saving the settings, my PowerBook lost the connection/signal. I only got it back after I deactivated WEP through wired connection. What did I do wrong? Where can I find a step-by-step instruction regarding WEP?

Help, anyone?

By the way, I have a Linksys WRT54GL. We have 2 PowerBooks and a wired PC running Win XP in our home network. Also, I intend to use WEP since WPA is not supported by the Nintendo DS Lite.

try doing it using the wired connection... you just go to the wireless security option and select WEP and type your intended password and it will give you 4 translations and click save... i had the translated password (those with alpha and num combinations - sorry i don't know what it is called) saved in my connection setup...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast