Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Black screen of death when installing Win7 32-bit via Bootcamp

This is a discussion on Black screen of death when installing Win7 32-bit via Bootcamp within the Alt OS Archives forums, part of the Alternative Operating Systems category; Hi Folks, I spent the whole weekend attempting to install Win7 on my Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo (Oct ...

Liked
    5 times

Default Black screen of death when installing Win7 32-bit via Bootcamp

Hi Folks,

I spent the whole weekend attempting to install Win7 on my Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo (Oct 2007) but in vain. Here are the steps I carried out:

1. Complied with all the requirements mentioned in the Bootcamp Installation Guide
    2. Installed all Software Updates
    3. Able to partition my 500gb SATA using Bootcamp assistant, allocating 32gb for Win7.
    4. Rebooted the machine with Win7 DVD installer (ISO downloaded from MSDN)
    5. Once On, I can hear the DVD spinning. I know that the system recognizes the installation but after a few moments, it will just display an empty black screen. No more activities afterwards. I tried to wait and even finished my laundry but it didnít progress at all. I just had to hard-reset and boot my OSX to do further research.

I tried several options after reading forum posts and online articles but still unsuccessful, bringing me back to the same black screen:

1. Disk verified/repaired (via Disk Utilities) before creating Bootcamp partition (it helped a few users but not me)
    2. Created Mac-compatible DVD installer (using oscdimg in Windows) Ė 1st disc [I followed the same method as described here http://mactyler.com/technology/how-t...mpatible-dvd/]
    3. Burned the ISO to DVD using SLís legacy burning function Ė 2nd Disc
    4. Burned the ISO to DVD using Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool Ė 3rd Disc
    5. Burned the ISO to DVD using ImgBurn in Windows Ė 4th Disc

Iím not sure if this has something to do with the video drivers and am just about to give up (:

Thanks so much for your tips.
    iMart
    15.4" MacBookPro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT | 8x SuperDrive | iPhone 3G 16gb

Liked
    397 times
    Real Name
    Gino R. Punsalan

Default Re: Black screen of death when installing Win7 32-bit via Bootcamp

You do not have a verified good dvd installer. Make sure that dvd boots elsewhere.
    MacBook Air 11.6"  Airport Extreme Base Station  Apple Magic Mouse  iPad 2  iPad 4  iPod Touch 4

I got a black screen after installing drivers. =/

Liked
    38 times
    Real Name
    Jet Pacapac

I have also recently tried for several days to install Windows on our MacBook 2007.

I also attempted to install Windows 7, although without using a DVD. I had the file as an ISO on the HDD, and tried installing using a trial version of Parallels. No go. Also tried installing from USB, using a utility called rEFIt. Didn't work. This same file/USB boots up perfectly on PCs.

I also tried installing Windows XP, using a brand new XP Professional DVD. MacBook couldn't read it. Failed on Boot Camp and Parallels.

Tried for several days with various combinations and strategies. Just got frustrated. Anyone else with suggestions?

Liked
    5 times

Maybe it's the MBP that's just turning off the display and not turning back on because of the ongoing installation? You can try turning off all power-saving entries in the System Preferences (Sleep, Turn off Display/Hard disks, etc.) before doing your Windows installation.

I also had trouble before installing XP on a MacBook but it was because of a HD problem. Repairing the HD using the disc that came with the laptop fixed it.
    Macbook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM

Liked
    119 times
    Real Name
    frallenop

@imart: try using Toast Titanium to burn a copy of that Windows 7 DVD installer, or use another PC/Mac to burn a copy. If it still fails, try to download another copy in a PC/Mac with good internet connection

@sam789: make sure your Windows & OS X disks are working discs, with no scratches
    MBox2 . M-Audio DX4 . PSR-2000 . AT2020 . . LX5 . . iPhone 4 . iPad 3 . . my Flickr . imbued with Unending Grace UST@400 .
    Go LAKERS!
    c",)

Quote Originally Posted by macdrive007 View Post
    @sam789: make sure your Windows & OS X disks are working discs, with no scratches
    Brand new, actually. I will try to bootcamp again tomorrow.

Liked
    5 times

i'll try to re-download the ISO once again. I'm even using the fibre (200mbps) to do the downloading (:

i'll also attempt to turn off the power-saving settings and will let you guys know. thanks for the hand!
    iMart
    15.4" MacBookPro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT | 8x SuperDrive | iPhone 3G 16gb

These might help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

Are you sure you're on Bootcamp 3.1?
    pixelpusher

Liked
    5 times

hi kenok, i've read and understood all possible articles related to Bootcamp before starting the thread. But just curious, the 2nd article specifically refers to iMac and my concern delves on the 2007 MacBook Pro. I'm not sure if this applies.
    iMart