Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Moving Music Files to External Hard Disk

This is a discussion on Moving Music Files to External Hard Disk within the Apple TV Archives forums, part of the Archived Threads category; Guys, When I bought my iPod, My laptop PissCee's HDD's free space was only 2GB or less. I decided to ...

Liked
    10 times

Default Moving Music Files to External Hard Disk

Guys,

When I bought my iPod, My laptop PissCee's HDD's free space was only 2GB or less. I decided to manually move my iTunes files manually to iPod and then delete the files from the library, to have space for the next cd-mp3 conversion.

[CD] --> [PissCee = 2GB free] --> move manually to [iPod]

Now I have 2 external FW hard disks, one 20GB FW/USB and one 160GB FW/USB.

What do I have to do now to move my music (currently running into 17GB), into an external HDD itunes library so I can synch it to my iPod, rather than making my iPod the sole repository of my music files?

[iPod] --> [PissCee = 2GB free] --> [20GB XHDD][160GB XHDD] - so all future CD ripping to MP3 will be directed to the external HDD itunes library.

Some of the original CD's kasi went back to my brothers and cousins, and I fear that updating my iTunes might also lead to a wipeout of the music and files.

What are the steps that I need to take to make that smooth and worry-free transition from iPod based collection to an iTunes library based collection?

Thanks

Tantin

Liked
    10 times

Oops, I found the answer to my own question. sheeeessh

All I need to do pala is copy the //ipod_control/music/ subfolders to the external hard disk, and reload all the songs to iTunes ( with the iTunes folder redirected to the external hard disk).

I tested it with one of the subfolders (F47) and loaded all the songs back to itunes library. Worked without a hitch. I'm gonna finish the whole batch tonight at home.

Tantin