Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

mac mini problem: on for one sec, then dies

This is a discussion on mac mini problem: on for one sec, then dies within the Big Macs Archives forums, part of the Archived Threads category; hi, folks, i thought i'd ask for a quick diagnosis before this goes to the shop: my mac mini 1.83 ...

Liked
    847 times
    Real Name
    Butch Dalisay

Default mac mini problem: on for one sec, then dies

hi, folks, i thought i'd ask for a quick diagnosis before this goes to the shop:

my mac mini 1.83 (intel) turns on for one or two seconds, then dies. (the power light comes on then goes off). any ideas? i've tried to reset the SMC (that's the equivalent of the PMU reset on PPC macs), wala rin. sometimes it won't even turn on. have moved the plugs around, etc.

thanks for any insights. (this is under applecare, anyway, but i'd still like to know what's gone wrong.)
     Old fountain pens, watches, cameras, hats, flushes and full houses, and all things Apple www.penmanila.ph

Liked
    27 times
    Real Name
    Alyson L. Yap

Default Re: mac mini problem: on for one sec, then dies

in PCs, if that happen, the culprit is usually the power supply. I'm not sure if there is a power supply in the mac mini

Liked
    458 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

It could be two things. First, it could be the internal power supply (probably logic board) or second the big power supply brick is faulty. You can try checking your Mac mini using a spare power brick if you have one and see if that is the problem.
    The nuns of the Missionaries of Charity urgently need donations of Lysol disinfectant for their ministry work. Please click here to help them!

Liked
    890 times
    Real Name
    Elbert Cuenca

+1 on what Saparyman Ryan said. You've the routine troubleshooting procedures. It's time to check it into the Apple hospital to get it healed.
     Mid 2013 13" MacBook Air 1.3GHz 256GB Late 2012 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz Late 2010 11" MacBook Air 1.4GHz 64GB Mid 2010 Mac mini 8GB RAM 32GB iPhone 5S 16GB Blue iPhone 5C 64GB iPad Air 2013 AirPort Extreme + AirPort Express 3rd Gen AppleTV

www.steakroom.com

Liked
    560 times

i'm quite sure it may be the internal power supply...the mac mini of a friend had the same problem last month and had it fixed by ynzal...they had to replace the power supply...