Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

How do I create Groups in iPhone and iPad Contacts?

This is a discussion on How do I create Groups in iPhone and iPad Contacts? within the iOS & iOS Apps forums, part of the Software MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; How do I create Groups in the Contacts app of iPhone and iPad? In my Mac's Address Book I have ...

Default How do I create Groups in iPhone and iPad Contacts?

How do I create Groups in the Contacts app of iPhone and iPad? In my Mac's Address Book I have different groups configured, such as Work, Travel, Dining, etc. and the same groups and its contents sync to my iPhone thru iCloud.

I was trying to configure something similar for my mother's iPhone and iPad but couldn't find an option to add Groups in both devices. She doesn't have a Mac so my intention is just to sync her Contacts between her two devices and adding Groups to help her organize her contacts better.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Liked
    47 times
    Real Name
    Jingo Lopez

Default How do I create Groups in iPhone and iPad Contacts?

I don't think you can. You need an app to do that. Search for group sms in Apps Store.

 Mac mini late 2012 OS X Mavericks  Mac mini late 2007 Snow Leopard  Apple BT Keyboard  Apple Magic Mouse  AirPort Extreme 2nd gen  AirPort Express 3rd gen  iPhone 4  iPhone 3GS  Bose Companion 3 S2

Liked
    81 times
    Real Name
    Mark Ryan

Default Re: How do I create Groups in iPhone and iPad Contacts?

primitive solution: prefix the last name or first name with the group name, then change the sort order to sort it via "group - first name, last name" or "group - last name, first name"

Quote Originally Posted by ijingo View Post
    I don't think you can. You need an app to do that. Search for group sms in Apps Store.
    Hmm... I'm not entirely sure... but when my mother's iPad was using my Apple ID and synced with my Mac, I believe that I was able to create Groups in the Contacts. My iPhone has Groups in its Contacts.

It's strange that Apple will remove this feature in its Contact app for iPhone and iPad if it doesn't sync with a Mac?

Liked
    4 times
    Real Name
    Pael Zuniga

without using a mac, you can pair the iOS device with an iCloud account, then just manage the contacts via browser (www.icloud.com). There you'll find an option to group contacts accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by kinetic88 View Post
    How do I create Groups in the Contacts app of iPhone and iPad? In my Mac's Address Book I have different groups configured, such as Work, Travel, Dining, etc. and the same groups and its contents sync to my iPhone thru iCloud.

I was trying to configure something similar for my mother's iPhone and iPad but couldn't find an option to add Groups in both devices. She doesn't have a Mac so my intention is just to sync her Contacts between her two devices and adding Groups to help her organize her contacts better.

Does anyone have any suggestion?
    Apple has decided not to include contact group adding/editing from within the iPhone Contacts app (i presume this is also true for the iPad Contacts app).

If you have a spare PC (or your mom has Windows) you can use copytrans contacts in order to group iphone contacts with changes being applied directly to the iPhone/iPad Contacts app.

You could also try to use the app in order to exchange contacts between your mom's iPhone and iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by pael View Post
    without using a mac, you can pair the iOS device with an iCloud account, then just manage the contacts via browser (www.icloud.com). There you'll find an option to group contacts accordingly.
    Whoa! I never knew you could access your iCloud account this way. This solves my mom's problem. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot bro!

Quote Originally Posted by tobyBear View Post
    Apple has decided not to include contact group adding/editing from within the iPhone Contacts app (i presume this is also true for the iPad Contacts app).

If you have a spare PC (or your mom has Windows) you can use copytrans contacts in order to group iphone contacts with changes being applied directly to the iPhone/iPad Contacts app.

You could also try to use the app in order to exchange contacts between your mom's iPhone and iPad.
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, my mom doesn't have a PC. But I found a solution for her already on this thread.