Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Customs Tax (US / Philippines)

This is a discussion on Customs Tax (US / Philippines) within the Travel forums, part of the Fun MUG Stuff category; Hi everyone. I need your help. I am currently in the US, scenario is I will be bringing home with ...

Liked
    1 times
    Real Name
    Ramon Banaag

Default Customs Tax (US / Philippines)

Hi everyone. I need your help.

I am currently in the US, scenario is I will be bringing home with me a number of cellphone and other gadgets. When I went to the US I have 2 phones, 1 camera and 1 Ipod touch with me. Going back I will now bring 5 cell phones, 1 laptop, 1 camera, and an Ipod Touch.

What is the best way to handle this? Do I just hand carry the said items or tuck them in my check in luggage. Will I be charged any customs duties here in the US or in the Philippines?

Thanks

Liked
    1484 times
    Real Name
    Butch Dalisay

Default Re: Customs Tax (US / Philippines)

you won't be charged getting out of the US. arriving in manila, you'll be charged only if it appears that you're bringing in, say, brand-new iphones in commercial quantities. how will that happen? if you make it obvious that you're loaded with expensive, taxable goods. how do you keep that from happening? use your ingenuity and imagination (another alternative is to send the phones ahead through johnny air cargo.)
     Old fountain pens, watches, cameras, hats, flushes and full houses, and all things Apple www.penmanila.ph

Liked
    1271 times

mmm....two or more of the same/similar items may qualify as commercial quantities and if those are boxed/sealed, it may arouse the interest of the customs personnel. To minimize your chances of being taxed, just remove the original packaging and leave it in the U.S.
    Astell & Kern AK240 + iBasso DX100 + Hifiman HM801 + iPod Classic + Sony PCM-D100 + Fostex TH900 + ATH W3000 ANV + Grado PS1000 + Heir Audio 8.0 + Noble Audio 6W + AKG K3003i + Sennheiser HD 800 + Fitear To Go! 334 + Shure 846 + Audeze LCD X + Oppo PM1 + Cypher Labs Theorem 720 + Alo Audio PanAm/Passport + Hifi M8 LX + Woo Audio WA7 / a slew of computer stuff from Apple & Microsoft.

Liked
    3319 times
    Real Name
    Roland Benzon

if you can, avoid looking like a balikbayan you know, folks who travel with oversized boxes.

the most valuable items i hide underneath stinky clothing. let customs ukay-ukay that!

or if you must, rehearse your lie. over and over again.

Liked
    3 times

If you're bringing in a couple of balikbayan boxes then there is a chance customs will ask you to open them, that's where the bargaining begins. I have heard that a $5 tip is all it takes, while some say they give a Ninoy. I'm not sure about this since I'm not much of a shopper and I usually travel with only one suitcase and I have never been hassled.

My sister and her family usually brings in two or three Balikbayan Boxes plus their suitcases and she says that as they approach the customs area at least three customs agents would be waving for them to line up at their counter even if those agents are still busy with quite a handful of people still in queue at their counter! Imagine that! Nakakahiya talaga dito sa atin ano?

...so if you're bringing in Balikbayan Boxes be prepared to beocome a celebrity... pag-aagawan ka.
    Last edited by maxx; 08-17-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    www.applei.ph iPhone 8GB / MacBook 2.2 / iMac Al 2.0 / Generic PC with no anti virus...am I out of my mind?

Liked
    119 times
    Real Name
    Allen Yumul

Quote Originally Posted by rbenzon View Post
    if you can, avoid looking like a balikbayan you know, folks who travel with oversized boxes.

the most valuable items i hide underneath stinky clothing. let customs ukay-ukay that!

or if you must, rehearse your lie. over and over again.
    As George Costanza from Seinfeld wisely advised:
    "It's not a lie, if you believe it!"

Will the customs charge me if i will to bring in a 1 sealed IPad from HK?

Liked
    1271 times

mmm...if asked, just tell him/her that it's for personal use only.
    Astell & Kern AK240 + iBasso DX100 + Hifiman HM801 + iPod Classic + Sony PCM-D100 + Fostex TH900 + ATH W3000 ANV + Grado PS1000 + Heir Audio 8.0 + Noble Audio 6W + AKG K3003i + Sennheiser HD 800 + Fitear To Go! 334 + Shure 846 + Audeze LCD X + Oppo PM1 + Cypher Labs Theorem 720 + Alo Audio PanAm/Passport + Hifi M8 LX + Woo Audio WA7 / a slew of computer stuff from Apple & Microsoft.

Liked
    3 times
    Real Name
    Darwin Villanueva

from what I know, even if its for personal use so long as it exceeds 350USD you are subject to custom charges. I think its written in the custom declaration form you normally fill out upon arriving in Manila.
    AN1MO LA SALLE
    Macbook White / iPhone 4

will the custom charge you if you hand carry the item?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-17-2013, 10:00 AM