Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Can I drive in the US with my Philippine license?

This is a discussion on Can I drive in the US with my Philippine license? within the Travel forums, part of the Fun MUG Stuff category; Ok I have been googling this for the past few days and I just cant get a direct answer. Some ...

Liked
    14 times
    Real Name
    Kevin Michael

Default Can I drive in the US with my Philippine license?

Ok I have been googling this for the past few days and I just cant get a direct answer. Some say that you need an International Driver's License in order to drive in the US. But some say that our Philippine driver's license can be used for a few months because of the UN Convention on Road Traffic (if Philippines is part of the treaty though) I cant apply for an IDL anymore coz Im already here in the US. So the question is can I just use my Philippines license without an IDL? I'm specifically here in NJ. Thanks Philmug!

Liked
    286 times

Default Re: Can I drive in the US with my Philippine license?

As far as I'm aware of.. In San Jose CA where I stayed for a few months in the past, you can drive with your PH issued drivers license just make sure you have your passport and i94 on you when you drive.
    If we have our own why of life, we shall get along with almost any how. óNietzsche

Liked
    2 times

Put it this way—more than once me and my travel companions have been able to rent cars using only their Philippine licenses.
    [ "Green Stabofen" avatar by Jesus Pernas ]

rsa
    Liked
    8 times

You don't need an international drivers license. Your Philippine license willdo. You cAn even rent a car with your phillipine license

Liked
    1257 times

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Visitors.htm

According to their website, you need International Driver's License to drive in Jersey in conjunction with your PH driver's license. But to be absolutely sure, why don't you give them a call.
    Astell & Kern AK240 + iBasso DX100 + Hifiman HM801 + iPod Classic + Sony PCM-D100 + Fostex TH900 + ATH W3000 ANV + Grado PS1000 + Heir Audio 8.0 + Noble Audio 6W + AKG K3003i + Sennheiser HD 800 + Fitear To Go! 334 + Shure 846 + Audeze LCD X + Oppo PM1 + Cypher Labs Theorem 720 + Alo Audio PanAm/Passport + Hifi M8 LX + Woo Audio WA7 / a slew of computer stuff from Apple & Microsoft.

Liked
    3 times

same here. rented, drove in the US many times already.

Don't believe the sales talk that you need an IDL.

As for the need to bring your passport, I have heard of this advice also but I'm not sure if this is really needed because the rental Co's never ask for it. I don't like to bring my passport with me because it might get lost, I just bring a photocopy in my person all the time.
    www.applei.ph iPhone 8GB / MacBook 2.2 / iMac Al 2.0 / Generic PC with no anti virus...am I out of my mind?

Liked
    1257 times

mmm....I wouldn't be so cavalier. I believe it varies from State to State. Car rental company rules are different from government rules. Let's not mix them up and just because you can rent a car, it doesn't mean that you can drive on U.S. streets.

My advise remains the same: call the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
    Astell & Kern AK240 + iBasso DX100 + Hifiman HM801 + iPod Classic + Sony PCM-D100 + Fostex TH900 + ATH W3000 ANV + Grado PS1000 + Heir Audio 8.0 + Noble Audio 6W + AKG K3003i + Sennheiser HD 800 + Fitear To Go! 334 + Shure 846 + Audeze LCD X + Oppo PM1 + Cypher Labs Theorem 720 + Alo Audio PanAm/Passport + Hifi M8 LX + Woo Audio WA7 / a slew of computer stuff from Apple & Microsoft.

Liked
    158 times
    Real Name
    Eric de Pedro

I haven't driven in NJ yet but in the other cities I've been to, your PH drivers license is accepted. LA, SFO, Virginia, Iowa, Utah, Phoenix and others were good. Avis gave me the rental car without any hassle. I even got on a car accident once and still no biggie. :P

Liked
    90 times

I agree with raypin, laws vary from state to state. The best way is to ask instead of assuming

Liked
    14 times
    Real Name
    Kevin Michael

Ok thanks guys! Well if ever I do need an International Driver's Permit/License, how do I get one? is it possible na i-lakad nalang ng relatives ko from the Philippines then just ship it here to the US?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)