Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie

This is a discussion on Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie within the Food forums, part of the Fun MUG Stuff category; Originally Posted by Salaryman Ryan Guys, just to clear things up. There seems to be much confusion between Wagyu beef ...

Liked
    1057 times
    Real Name
    Leo Castillo

Default Re: Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Salaryman Ryan View Post
    Guys, just to clear things up. There seems to be much confusion between Wagyu beef and Kobe beef. Wagyu beef 和牛 literally means "eastern beef" or "beef from Japan." Kobe beef is simply one type of Wagyu beef - the best kind of Wagyu beef. Any kind of beef that taken from Japanese breeds of cows from Kobe, Mishima, Matsusaka, Ōmi, and Sanda can be classified as Wagyu beef.

So the local Wagyu restaurants are not necessarily lying when they say they are serving Wagyu beef. They are simply not serving Kobe beef but a lesser kind of Wagyu beef. So unless these restaurants claim that they serve KOBE BEEF, there is no scam involved.
    Just a few clarifications. Technically, Kobe is NOT officially classified as the best kind of Wagyu beef. Based on what I read about Matsusaka, that's something i DEFINITELY want to try.

Second, the definition of Wagyu is very very iffy. The strict definition is Japanese cattle. So if I buy Japanese cattle and breed it in say New Zealand, is it still Japanese cattle?

The article says no, the same way that if you buy Florida oranges and grow them in NZ it's no longer Florida oranges. The American Wagyu Association (AWA) says yes, even to the point that cross breeds with Japanese and US cattle should be called Japanese beef even if it comes from the US and not Japan. This is detailed in Part II of the report.

Definitely two very different answers. I think i agree more with the article's definition than the AWA definition.

Finally, the author does not claim Japanese beef is the best beef. He just says that ONLY beef from Japan can claim to be called Wagyu and ONLY beef from Kobe can claim to be called Kobe.
    No American Wagyu, no Australian Kobe, etc etc....

Leo

UPDATE: the author has created an unofficial part 4, covering some of the common questions - http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...larifications/
    Last edited by LeoCastillo; 04-23-2012 at 01:15 AM.
    The ability to use a camera will make you a decent photographer. The ability to see and feel will make you a great one.
    Photoworks.
    Discover Photography as You've Never Known Before. http://www.photoworksacademy.com

Liked
    38 times
    Real Name
    Macky Faylona

I've tasted both Kobe beef and matsusaka beef in Japan and I'm no steak expert but in my opinion matsusaka beef is much better than Kobe beef. My two cents worth.
    MB air 11.6, 2.8 Core i7 8gig RAM 256gig SSD, SG Note. IPhone 4S, Ipad 3 64gig 4G, OMD

Liked
    21 times
    Real Name
    Chris Dela Cruz

Thanks for sharing. This is a very good read.

Liked
    864 times
    Real Name
    Elbert Cuenca

I've tried both Matsusaka and Kobe. You can't compare the two. It's an apples-and-oranges thing. Both are of outstanding quality in terms of richness and flavor. Each has a distinct flavor. If you are looking for a strong beefy type of flavor, then Matsusaka is the way to go. If you're looking for the more subtle and elegant type, then Kobe should be the choice.

One thing's for sure, neither is good if cut, cooked and eaten like an American steak. These fine Japanese beef are best eaten in very small qualities--as sukiyaki, shabu-shabu, yakiniku or teppan.
     Mid 2013 13" MacBook Air 1.3GHz 256GB Late 2012 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz Late 2010 11" MacBook Air 1.4GHz 64GB Mid 2010 Mac mini 8GB RAM 32GB iPhone 5S 16GB Blue iPhone 5C 64GB iPad Air 2013 AirPort Extreme + AirPort Express 3rd Gen AppleTV

www.steakroom.com

Liked
    3 times
    Real Name
    stacy

My mom buys from Santi's deli the premium wagyu kobe beef and cook it as steak. It is the best I've tried. Is that fake too? =(

About wagyu naman the reason why its becoming cheap sa mga resto's is because there's a local wagyu na. But, for me iba pa rin ang imported from Japan quality. We buy from a japanese supplier that we see during food expos.

Liked
    8 times
    Real Name
    Antonio Ray Ortiguera

I heard that, for ground beef used for burger patties for instance, they will simply add more fat into the mix and say its wagyu. Could that be true?

Liked
    28 times
    Real Name
    Randy Landicho

Quote Originally Posted by blisstacy View Post
    My mom buys from Santi's deli the premium wagyu kobe beef and cook it as steak. It is the best I've tried. Is that fake too? =(

About wagyu naman the reason why its becoming cheap sa mga resto's is because there's a local wagyu na. But, for me iba pa rin ang imported from Japan quality. We buy from a japanese supplier that we see during food expos.

From what i heard the local wagyu from Bukidnon is not pure wagyu cattle. Its been crossbred with other breeds thats why its more affordable.
    13" 2013 rMBP i5 /Ipad 4 32GB wifi/Iphone 5 16GB/ Fuji X-Pro1

Liked
    139 times
    Real Name
    Val Santiago

is it the same with Black Angus beef here in ph? i guess so.

i saw something in the tv, only women can prepare and cook a Kobe beef? is it for Kobe beef? so technically if this is true, if you ate Kobe beef in Kobe, japan, but is cooked by a man, then what? hahaa..

Liked
    864 times
    Real Name
    Elbert Cuenca

Quote Originally Posted by mafioso View Post
    From what i heard the local wagyu from Bukidnon is not pure wagyu cattle. Its been crossbred with other breeds thats why its more affordable.
    The Wagyu in Bukidnon is Japanese cattle crossbred with Brahman from Australia. It's not about affordability, but sustainability. The crossbreeding ensures that the cattle is able to adapt to the climate of Bukidnon. Brahman is known to be extremely tolerant of hot conditions.

Don't think that it's different in the US. Their Wagyu is crossbred with Black Angus. Same reason.
     Mid 2013 13" MacBook Air 1.3GHz 256GB Late 2012 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz Late 2010 11" MacBook Air 1.4GHz 64GB Mid 2010 Mac mini 8GB RAM 32GB iPhone 5S 16GB Blue iPhone 5C 64GB iPad Air 2013 AirPort Extreme + AirPort Express 3rd Gen AppleTV

www.steakroom.com

Liked
    1057 times
    Real Name
    Leo Castillo

Just to be clear, Wagyu is beef raised and slaughtered in Japan.

If you get a Japanese cow, bring it here, and cross breed with other cows, then it is no longer beef from Japan, therefore no longer Wagyu.

The same way if you get Florida oranges, bring it here, and cross breed with other oranges, then it is no longer Florida oranges.

Local Wagyu or Australian Wagyu is a misnomer, just like saying there's such a thing as Pasig Batangas Coffee.

At least, that's what the article claims.
    The ability to use a camera will make you a decent photographer. The ability to see and feel will make you a great one.
    Photoworks.
    Discover Photography as You've Never Known Before. http://www.photoworksacademy.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast