Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's a good drawing program/alternative to Corel Draw?

This is a discussion on What's a good drawing program/alternative to Corel Draw? within the Graphic Designers forums, part of the Creative MUG Stuff category; Hi guys! Im a newbie here and with macs in general. Ive been using Corel Draw for drawing ever since ...

Liked
    8 times

Default What's a good drawing program/alternative to Corel Draw?

Hi guys! Im a newbie here and with macs in general. Ive been using Corel Draw for drawing ever since 2006 with my pc and now that im getting a mac, id just like to ask-
    id there a good alternative to Corel draw? I do Logos, cartoons, etc.
    thanks!

Default Re: What's a good drawing program/alternative to Corel Draw?

Adobe Illustrator

Liked
    8 times

oh thanks! any other good ones? preferably Affordable or free ones =) thanks guys

Liked
    16 times

You can try Inkscape software. It's an open source free apps for Mac OSX though I have not tried this out personally. You may download the free app HERE.

There's also a Mac version of CorelDraw which you might want to check out. During the earlier years CorelDraw only had PC versions as it was a PC based software. Adobe Illustrator was originally mac based back in the 80s. It's actually the "granddaddy" of vector based softwares and later was simulated by another software called Freehand and later by CorelDraw. Freehand used to be owned by Aldus Corp in the early 90s and later the rights was bought by Macromedia and called Macromedia Freehand. That time the competitors were Illustrator, Freehand and CorelDraw. In 2006 Adobe bought Macromedia and they discontinued Freehand and further developed Illustrator. Illustrator was actually the flagship product of Adobe before Photoshop came into the picture.

I also used to be a CorelDraw user in a PC before switching to a Mac. I have also used Macromedia Freehand and Illustrator. Among all 3 I personally felt more comfortable with Illustrator because of its features and user interface.

Liked
    11 times
    Real Name
    Justin

try alias sketchbook pro for sketching, etc.. pixelmator is a light weight program.. its like photoshop but mac exclusive

@Bluekaze

Not sure if you design for a living or if it's just a hobby. If it's for actual client work, I suggest that you invest in Adobe products because most, if not all international clients would prefer this. It's also better to start with Illustrator right away than some other software, so learning time is shortened. Rather than learning how to use the free/cheap alternatives first, go straight to one that you'll end up using the most anyway. 2 cents.

Liked
    432 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

Alias Sketchbook has been purchased and improved by Autodesk the makers of Autocad.

The new version of AutoDesk Sketchbook is given high praise in many reviews. You will find that it is also great for logo drawings because it has a lot of technical drawing tools.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=6848332

Its also much more affordable than illustrator: (only 90 USD). I purchased my copy and downloaded it straight online.
    The nuns of the Missionaries of Charity urgently need donations of Lysol disinfectant for their ministry work. Please click here to help them!

Liked
    8 times

salaryman thanks! i will definitely check that out =) does sketchbook also have tools for doing curves/circles and such? coz in iphone i dont think they have?

toffenut, how much is adobe illustrator? i hope its within my budget haha thanks =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekaze View Post
    salaryman thanks! i will definitely check that out =) does sketchbook also have tools for doing curves/circles and such? coz in iphone i dont think they have?

toffenut, how much is adobe illustrator? i hope its within my budget haha thanks =)
    Design software = generally expensive.

Price here: http://snapplr.com/8jmt

http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/

Liked
    432 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekaze View Post

Yes it does

You can give it a try by downloading the trial:

http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-44957.html

Good luck!
    The nuns of the Missionaries of Charity urgently need donations of Lysol disinfectant for their ministry work. Please click here to help them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast