Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Web development / Web design application

This is a discussion on Web development / Web design application within the Graphic Designers forums, part of the Creative MUG Stuff category; Hi guys, I am trying to help our company prepare a simple website for the different subsidiaries. I am fine ...

Liked
    28 times

Exclamation Web development / Web design application

Hi guys,

I am trying to help our company prepare a simple website for the different subsidiaries.
    I am fine using the iWeb, but my problem is whenever I try and see my design in the different computers we have here in the office - it looks quite bad. But on my MB Pro, it looks quite nice.

Problems
    - Margins
    - Colors
    - Effects
    - Alignments
    - a few more

Is there any other free applications I can use to create the website? Something that can help me make my site more compatible with windows, different screen sizes, etc.

I'm not an expert on this, so all your inputs would be really helpful.
    Thanks in advance, guys!

Nix
    M A N N I X

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Web development / Web design application

I do not know of any WYSIWYG editors that automatically code for cross-browser compatibility (if anyone knows any, please post!); you have to code in hacks and workarounds manually for fancy stuff, or at the very least, declare a Doctype. Either way, you will need to get your hands dirty. Even with just declaring a Doctype, you will need to understand how elements are rendered and what elements and attributes are included in each Doctype.

Spacing issues, which most probably includes your margin and alignment problems, are due to the different ways browsers render the box model.

Color is a non-issue. Colors appear differently based on monitor quality and varying color profiles.

With effects, I'm not really sure. I assume it's some kind of browser-specific tag like blinking text?

For screen resolution, you can either have a fluid layout that adapts to screen width or build for 800px which is the lowest common screen width for computers,

Liked
    2 times

Check-out sites.google.com.

Liked
    12 times
    Real Name
    Justin

You can get by with WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors like iWeb but, as you are experiencing, can cause browser compatibility issues.. I suggest hiring a web designer/developer to do your website. But if you are really into web designing, you can learn yourself (www.w3schools.org). Thats a pretty informative site.

If you are designing your website yourself and from scratch, i suggest you use a framework (http://framework.gregbabula.info/) -- this really makes it easy in terms of browser compatibility. For programs, i suggest maybe notepad++ (free) or dreamweaver (if you have it).

good luck!
    I wanna have the same last dream again, the one where I wake up and I'm alive..

L ☽ V E

Liked
    365 times

Adobe Dreamweaver is the web standard for creating websites. different browsers have different behaviour, so you have to adjust your codes so that your website will look the same on all browsers. you can also try rapid weaver, cost cheaper than dreamweaver.

Liked
    30 times
    Real Name
    Teejay del Rosario

Try wordpress. It's very easy to setup and there are tons of free themes to choose from.
    Shop-Junkies.com + Gadget-Junkies.com + Teknikulay.com

15 rMBP i7 (Late 2014) | D700 | E-M5 | TS3 | LX3

You can try my company's product called irepublic.ph.

Just visit the site and you can use it to create a website without need for HTML knowledge.

It also has a demo so you can see how easy it is to create a website.

www.irepublic.ph

Liked
    24 times
    Real Name
    Rodrigo Basa

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    I do not know of any WYSIWYG editors that automatically code for cross-browser compatibility (if anyone knows any, please post!);
    Flux does a decent job at being cross-browser compliant.

http://www.theescapers.com/flux/

Liked
    490 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

Consistently across different browsers and platforms is one of the biggest pains of all front end web designers. The only way you can have a consistent look on a customized website is to master the intricacies of Cascading Style Sheets and HTML - and through experience. In other words, you need to code by hand.

Even "professional grade" WYSIWYG tools like Dreamweaver (at least the WYSIWYG part), and Freeway Pro are notoriously bad at producing a websites that is consistent on all browsers across platforms.

If you are really hellbent to do this, I suggest learning at least the basics of HTML and CSS and purchasing a good coding environment like Panic Coda or Textmate. If you need to get the job soon, I suggest to pony up the funds and hire a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by briareos View Post
    Flux does a decent job at being cross-browser compliant.

http://www.theescapers.com/flux/

You need at least a working knowledge of CSS and HTML to use Flux.
    The nuns of the Missionaries of Charity urgently need donations of Lysol disinfectant for their ministry work. Please click here to help them!

Liked
    24 times
    Real Name
    Rodrigo Basa

Quote Originally Posted by Salaryman Ryan View Post
    Even "professional grade" WYSIWYG tools like Dreamweaver (at least the WYSIWYG part), and Freeway Pro are notoriously bad at producing a websites that is consistent on all browsers across platforms.

If you are really hellbent to do this, I suggest learning at least the basics of HTML and CSS and purchasing a good coding environment like Panic Coda or Textmate. If you need to get the job soon, I suggest to pony up the funds and hire a professional.

You need at least a working knowledge of CSS and HTML to use Flux.
    I agree completely. And maybe that's why Flux does a good job at cross-browserness, you still need CSS and HTML knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast