Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Physical Iphone 4 doesnt match the Serial Number and IMEI on the box

This is a discussion on Physical Iphone 4 doesnt match the Serial Number and IMEI on the box within the iPod, Apple TV and other Apple-branded entertainment devices forums, part of the Hardware MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; Hi! Im new here in Philmug =D I just have a question, it was about my IMEI and Serial Number. ...

Exclamation Physical Iphone 4 doesnt match the Serial Number and IMEI on the box

Hi! Im new here in Philmug =D I just have a question, it was about my IMEI and Serial Number. I just had my Brand New Iphone yesterday afternoon and I went to a technician. Because it was the nearest store that I could visit. He tried to jailbreak it and it seems it cant go through the process. When he tried to activate the phone from iTunes, it suddenly went off and it was on DFU Mode. He told me that we need to redo the process again and again to make it work. (the restoration for the firmware to make it JB) That's what he have done on another Iphone that I saw. He doesnt want to install the 4.2.1 because of some bugs are not yet fixed. (And issues ofcourse). Even the 4.1 cannot be open line because the software wasnt just release yet. My unit was not Factory Unlocked. While we are chatting, He showed me his Iphone 4 and working on other Iphone 4 (which the back panel was opened and showed me some internal parts of it!). Hours passed by, my phone was still on the DFU mode. The store will be close, He said that he will bring home my unit to jailbreak it on his MAC because sometimes Windows do have issues on jailbreaking an Iphone 4. It will be easy for him to do it and later he will meet me up to give it back to me. So he did.

I do remember that we have tackled that the back panel of the Iphone 4 was easy to open and he mentioned that even on his Iphone that just came to his dad, the Serial number and the IMEI on the Physical Iphone doesnt match with the Packaging box even it was absolutely sealed! ( He have encountered it many times from his client, thats what he told me).

I wish they have engraved an IMEI and SN inside the unit aside from sim tray, box and on the General Settings.

My questions are:

1. From what he have said, is it true that sometimes the unit itself and the box's SN and IMEI are really different from each other? When I got my Iphone it was sealed to the fullest!

2. Would it be possible that he changed the back panel of my unit to his unit so that he could acquire my new unit? I checked the Sim tray, the IMEI and SN are the same with the box except from the physical unit, I checked it from the SETTINGS>GENERAL>ABOUT the IMEI is diff. from the box. (Software) Even I connected it to the iTunes, the SN is diff. from the box too.

3. If you Jailbreak a brand new unit, is it possible when you initiate the process, will it change its IMEI?

4. If the unit was "Nakalkal", is it like a NOKIA which most of internal hardware, parts of them have been replaced into old ones, or I might call it "refurbished'?.

5. Lastly, He told me that DFU Mode while JB or restoring it is different from doing a Manual DFU. is it true? because while we are activating the unit and we are restoring it, it couldnt turn on, even he pressed the Home button.

Im just a bit worried and cant sleep up to now. Worried that might someday my unit may encounter some fixations and problems with the hardware parts. I know, that I shouldnt trust him pero nadala ng pakikipag-usap, and I was a bit "kampante" because he got His own Iphone. I kinda need some help from you guys. Thanks! =D

Liked
    6 times

Default Re: Physical Iphone 4 doesnt match the Serial Number and IMEI on the box

Double post bro.
    Black MacBook '08 - 1TB of Western Digital My Passport Essential 2nd Ed. External HD - Marshall Major headphone - Sennheiser CX300 II - Black iPhone 4, 32GB (Covent Garden, London UK) - iPad2 16GB White - Apogee Mic and Jam - Nexus 7 2nd edition

Default Re: Physical Iphone 4 doesnt match the Serial Number and IMEI on the box

first welcome to philmug!
    next, talking about JB is not allowed here, so i'd suggest you look it up on other websites. i've heard and read that JB can be very easy for those who know how to use google, youtube can also help you with that.

regarding the S/N and imei number, i might be wrong about this but i believe that everything should match, from box, to unit to where ever. it is placed there to function as the phone's ID (identification). so i'd have to ask, where did you get your phone?

Liked
    19 times

Yes, first let's remove any doubt that when you bought the iPhone "brand new", was it really brand new? If you got it from Globe, then your receipt should contain the IMEI of the phone as it's standard procedure for them (well any carrier) so that you can claim warranty on the unit.

If that's the case, then your repair guy must have done the ol' switcheroo on you. Since the serial number on the SIM tray and the serial number on the box match, then it would be reasonable to say he switched the sim trays on the two iPhone 4 units (accidentally/intentionally we cannot say).

And might I suggest you go to applei.ph for your JB-related questions/concerns.
    Team applei.ph - Filipino iPhone Community

Liked
    210 times
    Real Name
    bhoyet jumpay

i recommend you go to www.applei.ph as posted by mysterio, i'm sure they will help you regarding to jb your device

OT, moderators/administrators please merge this thread to this thread. thanks