Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PLDT MyBro VS Smart Pocket Wifi VS Smart LTE

This is a discussion on PLDT MyBro VS Smart Pocket Wifi VS Smart LTE within the General OT forums, part of the Fun MUG Stuff category; Hi, I'm particularly comparing the above mentioned products. Anyone of you using and of these? I am looking for a ...

Default PLDT MyBro VS Smart Pocket Wifi VS Smart LTE

Hi, I'm particularly comparing the above mentioned products. Anyone of you using and of these?

I am looking for a good broadband solution for myself, since we'll be relocating to California garden Square in Mandaluyong soon.

Here are some quick links on the products:

1. PLDT MyBro - PLDT Home myBro Plans - High Speed Broadband Internet Connection

I'm particularly looking at Plan 999 @1MBps, no cap,

2. Smart Pocket Wifi - Pocket WiFi - Smart Communications
    I'm looking at Pocket Wifi Plan 999 @7.2Mbps, (cap unknown)

3. Smart LTE (pocket wifi modem still to purchase) - Plans and Data Packages - Smart 4G LTE - Smart Communications
    I am not sure if they give away for free the pocket wifi modem, I think they only give you the USB stick for now. Anyway I'm looking at plan 1299, @42Mbs , 5GB Cap

Any comments so far on these specific broadband connections?

Liked
    133 times
    Real Name
    Richard Dy

Default Re: PLDT MyBro VS Smart Pocket Wifi VS Smart LTE

Your choices are quite hard to take in because one service is either inconsistent (myBro & 3G Pocket wifi), or have capping (LTE). Assess your historical usage patterns and look at what these services have to offer.

1. MyBro now has a cap, this is for minimal usage like social networking and emails only, you may reach the 15GB throttling if you do some torrenting heck, even just youtube. You are throttled down to 200kbps (20KB/s) download speed after 15GB of usage.

2. 3G signals are known to be erratic, I would suggest this if you are on the go, budget conscious and doesn't mind inconsistent speeds. Plus, it is not known to have capping or throttling yet. (by inconsistent, I mean speeds are not uniform when you use it from place-to-place but speeds does not fluctuate that much when you find a sweet spot at home).

3. LTE is the best choice for wireless stability and since you mentioned you are in mandaluyong, it may be one of the areas served by smart LTE. One problem would be the 5GB capping (unlimited until June 30). Pocket wifi for this is also 2,000 (one-time) if you are locking yourself up for 2 years.

My suggestion is get DSL. But if you don't like to jump through the hoops, I would suggest get a prepaid LTE pocket wifi (@7,000 on the smart store) and test smart's signal first rather than locking yourself up for 24 months. The pocket wifi comes with an LTE sim card and 1 month worth of LTE credit which is still unlimited as of writing. Assess if you have good 3G first, then LTE. Then decide if you want LTE sim only plan (1299 for 5GB) or 3G sim only plan (999, unlimited) if you feel 3G speeds are good enough get it since it is better that you have unlimited and throttle-free internet.

The great thing about sim-only plan is that you are only locked in for at most 6 months so if you feel they are slow, you won't have to wait as long to terminate and keep the pocket wifi for out of home use.

On your choice of ISP: The PLDT Group (Home & Smart) is known to have set up good infrastructure around the philippines so they are the better network (I guess) but not by too much. For Globe, I can only recommend DSL too. For 3G or LTE on Globe, its a case to case basis if it's good, it's good but when it's bad, it's really bad.

P.S. If you have great LTE signal on the prepaid pocket wifi, I suggest you keep the sim and keep reloading 1,000 pesos to it and converting the credit to 1 month LTE (995) until such time that Smart imposes any type of capping or throttling in the future, that way you're paying for LTE at 3G prices.

To help you out, here's the coverage: Coverage - Smart 4G LTE - Smart Communications

HTH.
    |MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.4Ghz 4GB 250GB Mountain Lion 10.8.5|iPhone 5s Gray iOS 7.0.2|iPad Mini iOS 7.0.2|

Liked
    24 times
    Real Name
    Rodrigo Basa

3 wireless broadband providers, all taken at the same spot, at almost the same time.

What does this mean? That Globe has the best service? At that specific area, yes. Nationwide? No. Then, what is the best provider? None of them. It depends on your location, and the locations you frequent.

Do take note that the Speedtest server I used to test is the same for all, a Hong Kong server. Why? For consistency and to provide a realistic reading. Using the nearest server is unrealistic and will often provide better results because using Sun 3G, the nearest Speedtest server would be Sun's server, on Globe 3G, Globe's server, on Smart 3G, Smart's server. Those aren't real world readings. I could set up a Speedtest server at home and test my devices with it. I'd get anywhere from 80-200Mbps down and up.

40 meters away from that position, but still in the same building, and 1 hour later, I got this for Globe. Didn't bother testing the others because Globe already gave the best performance earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by rdy0329 View Post
    Your choices are quite hard to take in because one service is either inconsistent (myBro & 3G Pocket wifi), or have capping (LTE). Assess your historical usage patterns and look at what these services have to offer.

1. MyBro now has a cap, this is for minimal usage like social networking and emails only, you may reach the 15GB throttling if you do some torrenting heck, even just youtube. You are throttled down to 200kbps (20KB/s) download speed after 15GB of usage.

2. 3G signals are known to be erratic, I would suggest this if you are on the go, budget conscious and doesn't mind inconsistent speeds. Plus, it is not known to have capping or throttling yet. (by inconsistent, I mean speeds are not uniform when you use it from place-to-place but speeds does not fluctuate that much when you find a sweet spot at home).

3. LTE is the best choice for wireless stability and since you mentioned you are in mandaluyong, it may be one of the areas served by smart LTE. One problem would be the 5GB capping (unlimited until June 30). Pocket wifi for this is also 2,000 (one-time) if you are locking yourself up for 2 years.

My suggestion is get DSL. But if you don't like to jump through the hoops, I would suggest get a prepaid LTE pocket wifi (@7,000 on the smart store) and test smart's signal first rather than locking yourself up for 24 months. The pocket wifi comes with an LTE sim card and 1 month worth of LTE credit which is still unlimited as of writing. Assess if you have good 3G first, then LTE. Then decide if you want LTE sim only plan (1299 for 5GB) or 3G sim only plan (999, unlimited) if you feel 3G speeds are good enough get it since it is better that you have unlimited and throttle-free internet.

The great thing about sim-only plan is that you are only locked in for at most 6 months so if you feel they are slow, you won't have to wait as long to terminate and keep the pocket wifi for out of home use.

On your choice of ISP: The PLDT Group (Home & Smart) is known to have set up good infrastructure around the philippines so they are the better network (I guess) but not by too much. For Globe, I can only recommend DSL too. For 3G or LTE on Globe, its a case to case basis if it's good, it's good but when it's bad, it's really bad.

P.S. If you have great LTE signal on the prepaid pocket wifi, I suggest you keep the sim and keep reloading 1,000 pesos to it and converting the credit to 1 month LTE (995) until such time that Smart imposes any type of capping or throttling in the future, that way you're paying for LTE at 3G prices.

To help you out, here's the coverage: Coverage - Smart 4G LTE - Smart Communications

HTH.
    Thanks so much for this, I must agree with most of your points! This will help me in choosing!

Quote Originally Posted by briareos View Post

3 wireless broadband providers, all taken at the same spot, at almost the same time.

What does this mean? That Globe has the best service? At that specific area, yes. Nationwide? No. Then, what is the best provider? None of them. It depends on your location, and the locations you frequent.

Do take note that the Speedtest server I used to test is the same for all, a Hong Kong server. Why? For consistency and to provide a realistic reading. Using the nearest server is unrealistic and will often provide better results because using Sun 3G, the nearest Speedtest server would be Sun's server, on Globe 3G, Globe's server, on Smart 3G, Smart's server. Those aren't real world readings. I could set up a Speedtest server at home and test my devices with it. I'd get anywhere from 80-200Mbps down and up.

40 meters away from that position, but still in the same building, and 1 hour later, I got this for Globe. Didn't bother testing the others because Globe already gave the best performance earlier.

Hi sir, yes, I do know that provider performance always is location dependent, thus I provided my location the first time I posted. Thanks for your inputs!

can i convert my existing mybro plan to mydsl? intermittent connection ng mybro lately.. been a subscriber since 2009, smartbro pa..

jor

If you're near the Ortigas Center area / Capitol Commons, UP Diliman, or BF Homes Paranaque, DON'T get Smartbro pocket wifi. Take rdy0329's advice: don't get locked in. I'm locked in and Smartbro in the areas I frequent totally sucks.

Liked
    7 times

Is there no other pocket wifi device (preferably cheaper) that one can buy to avail of smart's or globe's lte connection? 6995 for the device is kinda steep.

Liked
    466 times
    Real Name
    Mike Antigua

^You can get the same Pocket WiFi device (open-line) at any gadget store (aka Villman) or outside the country (HK) for about P4,500. Then just get a 3G sim for it, either Smart/Globe/Sub. Heck, you can get all three prepaid 3G sims and then just switch to whichever is faster in your area.

Liked
    31 times

If I were you I would do the ff. process (in order):

1. Verify if your house and places you always go to get a decent LTE signal. If yes then go for the Smart LTE pocket wifi plan.
    2. If your locations of interest get a good amount of 4G HSPA+ signal, it's better to get the Smart Rocket Wifi plan.
    3. Just in case you only have 3G signal, go for the Pocket Wifi.
    4. If you are someone who stays at home most of the time and doesn't mind spending money for consuming data from your phone while in mobile, you would rather get PLDT myDSL.

Hope this helps.
    iPhone 6 16GB | iPad 16GB WiFi | iPad Mini 64GB WiFi | rMBP 13" 2.5GHZ i5 8GB 256GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast