This is a discussion on OCZ Vertex 4 for MBP 2010 2.66 i7? within the MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro forums, part of the Hardware MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; Guys, pa confirm I'd like to upgrade kasi. Will the OCZ Vertex4 SSD work on my Mid 2010 MBP 2.66Ghz ...
Yes it works. I'm using one on my MBP 13" mid 2010. Make sure you update the firmware on a windows or linux machine first to 18.104.22.168. There is a bootable ISO OCZ toolbox you can download of the internet to update it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on a Mac.
It wont work in boot camp or under virtualization. You'll need the SATA controller set to AHCI and since the MAC has a special BIOS you cant change it even if you boot from the OCZ toolbox. Btw, the firmware update is destructive and will remove all your data. Make sure you back up. Here is what I did:
1. Download the bootable OCZ toolbox
2. Create a bootable CD or USB stick
3. Attach the SSD to a WINDOWS PC.
4. Change the controller setting from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS
5. Boot up from CD/USB
6. Connect to the internet
7. Update FW
8. Restart and repeat step 5 - 7
9. Secure erase from the same utility
10. Shut down and enjoy your freshly updated SSD