Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

New iMac (early 2011 with sandy bridge processors)

This is a discussion on New iMac (early 2011 with sandy bridge processors) within the Mac Mini, iMac & Mac Pro forums, part of the Hardware MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; Most of the money you spend on any Apple product is on OS X & industrial design. You're probably getting ...

Liked
    77 times

Default Re: New iMac (early 2011 with sandy bridge processors)

Most of the money you spend on any Apple product is on OS X & industrial design. You're probably getting more performance from your Toshiba than the iMac.
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos.

Liked
    215 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

One big advantage of the iMac is the Superior IPS panel with large screen and higher resolution (versus the Toshiba's inferior TN panel). The iMacs high quality display is more suited for graphics work then any laptop screen. About the CPU and overall performance, I think the iMac with its new Sandy Bridge CPU should out perform your Toshiba (by a bit) despite of the fact it is "only" a i5 vs your Toshiba's older generation i7 cpu.
    The nuns of the Missionaries of Charity urgently need donations of Lysol disinfectant for their ministry work. Please click here to help them!

Liked
    1 times

I see. And yeah, the Toshiba's screen isn't anything great. I joined PhilMug back in 08 to find out the perfect Mac for me and none at that time caught my fancy... until now. Oh well. There's always next time. My i7 hasn't failed me yet and is probably more than enough for what I currently need.

Liked
    77 times

From what I can gather the IPS panel used has a delay of 12ms vs the TN that is faster than 12mn (5ms on most models). The delay is tolerable for productivity and less so for games. But not all gamers are bothered by this.

IPS shines in color & viewing angle.

Liked
    215 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

Quote Originally Posted by yoh_hectic View Post
    From what I can gather the IPS panel used has a delay of 12ms vs the TN that is faster than 12mn (5ms on most models). The delay is tolerable for productivity and less so for games. But not all gamers are bothered by this.

IPS shines in color & viewing angle.
    I used to have a 27 inch iMac, currently acquired a first gen 21 inch iMac (for my secretary) and a currently maintaining a 24 inch Apple Cinema display and played games on these units. I believe that all these have IPS panels that are rated 12ms. I tried Left4Dead, Dragon Age Origins, Portal, Counter Strike and Modern Warfare on all of these machines and I did not notice any screen lag/ INPUT LAG/ tearing/ any sort of delay due to the 12ms. Its not just "tolerable" I can't perceive it.

Perhaps if you have some sort of super extra perception vision you'll notice the difference of milliseconds between a TN and ISP panel but like many things in the spec sheets, it is hardly a factor in real world use. If you don't believe me watch the 720p videos on Youtube of iMacs being used in gaming. The games move smooth as silk.

For productivity stuff like office work, image and video editing it is a none issue.
    The nuns of the Missionaries of Charity urgently need donations of Lysol disinfectant for their ministry work. Please click here to help them!

Liked
    77 times

Quote Originally Posted by Salaryman Ryan View Post
    I used to have a 27 inch iMac, currently acquired a first gen 21 inch iMac (for my secretary) and a currently maintaining a 24 inch Apple Cinema display and played games on these units. I believe that all these have IPS panels that are rated 12ms. I tried Left4Dead, Dragon Age Origins, Portal, Counter Strike and Modern Warfare on all of these machines and I did not notice any screen lag/ INPUT LAG/ tearing/ any sort of delay due to the 12ms. Its not just "tolerable" I can't perceive it.

Perhaps if you have some sort of super extra perception vision you'll notice the difference of milliseconds between a TN and ISP panel but like many things in the spec sheets, it is hardly a factor in real world use. If you don't believe me watch the 720p videos on Youtube of iMacs being used in gaming. The games move smooth as silk.

For productivity stuff like office work, image and video editing it is a none issue.
    As I said not all gamers are bothered by this.

Can anyone confirm if the new 2011 imacs already support jumbo frames? I heard it now uses a new broadcom ethernet chip that now supports jumbo frames on the 21 inch model. They removed jumbo frames support in the previous i5 and i7 models...

Liked
    215 times
    Real Name
    Ryan Villanueva

Quote Originally Posted by tedmosuela View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the new 2011 imacs already support jumbo frames? I heard it now uses a new broadcom ethernet chip that now supports jumbo frames on the 21 inch model. They removed jumbo frames support in the previous i5 and i7 models...
    Hmm, I remember that the iFix tear down revealed that the 2011 iMacs had a Broadcom BCM57765B0KMLG Eithernet chip. (just go to the page and if you are using safari/firefox press command + F and type "Broadcom" to jump to that particular)

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-...eardown/5485/2

so I did a little googling and found out that:

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Eth...lient/BCM57765

Integrated 10/100/1000BASE-T transceiver with:
    - 10/100/1000BASE-T triple-speed MAC
    - Compliant with IEEE standards
    - Compliant with IEEE 802.3az draft standard for Energy Efficient Ethernet™ (EEE)
    - State-of-the-art physical layer interface that exceeds IEEE requirements
    - Jumbo frame support with up to 9.6 KB frame size
    - EthernetAV protocols with IEEE 802.1AS, 1588-2008, IEEE P802.1Qat and IEEE P802.1Qav support
    So it should support Jumbo Frames.

Liked
    40 times
    Real Name
    Bim Vitan

Looks like you can't upgrade the internal harddrive on your own: http://gizmodo.com/5801275/you-cant-...-the-new-imacs
    iMac 27" 2011 / Macbook Pro 13" 2010 / iPad Mini / iPod Touch 5th Gen / iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen / iPod Classic / iPod Nano 8gb "iWatch" / Time Capsule 2gb

Liked
    182 times

From that read, I can think of a work around...

Use the second drive bay for your "upgrade". - if SSD, set that as the boot drive via system preferences, then the stock HDD could be used for data storage...
    if another magnetic drive, you can run it on RAID or just use that new drive you've added as storage (for extra space).

If the user only wants one drive, then go ahead an remove the stock HDD. However, you must disable the thermal sensor first.

*** If one is on SSD, themal sensor should be disabled to begin with... (I have this setting on my MBP w/ SSD)

Disclaimer: This is just an idea from the logic of things... NOT Proven, NOT tested, NOT tried yet

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast