Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Windows 8 Preview

This is a discussion on Windows 8 Preview within the Alternative Operating Systems forums, part of the Archived Threads category; Wired.com's take on Windows 8: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...th-a-new-skin/...

Liked
    397 times
    Real Name
    Gino R. Punsalan

Default Re: Windows 8 Preview

Wired.com's take on Windows 8:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...th-a-new-skin/
    MacBook Air 11.6"  Airport Extreme Base Station  Apple Magic Mouse  iPad 2  iPad 4  iPod Touch 4

Liked
    978 times

mmm.....finally got around to downloading Windows 8 Preview and installed the same on a desktop machine and a touchbook. Since this is an early, early version and for insurance, I installed both W8DP on dual-boot method (Win 7 and Win 8DP). Installations were flawless. I also linked the W8DP libraries to my default Win7 libraries. There are some applications that did not work, like Zune (issue with graphics driver) but for others like Office 2010, no problem.

On the Touchbook, it was a bit tricky and challenging because I wanted to use dual screen in portrait mode (inspiration is the Courier). After fiddling around with the Tablet setting in Control Panel, I was able to force Win8DP to recognize both monitors as separate touchscreens. The Acer UI overlay (enhanced Touch) does not work but Win8DP works flawlessly nonetheless.

First impressions:

1. Cold boot is so much faster (16 seconds to 20 seconds vs. 25 to 60 seconds). UEFI, where are you?
    2. Seems to have significantly improved battery life (on the touchbook). In my preliminary tests, battery life improved by about 30 to 45 minutes.
    3. This version of Windows is definitely designed for tablets (and other touch devices).
    4. On the desktop machine, it was a weird experience. It takes some getting used to and I'm not sure how MSFT will be able to optimize the keyboard/mouse devices to take advantage of the Metro UI.
    5. I hope they also develop a touch-optimized version for Office and other applications.
    6. On-screen keyboard is very fast.
    7. Weird location for the power menu (it's in settings!).
    8. Applications run faster than in Windows 7.
    9. Internet Explorer preview version is interesting (unified URL, swiping etc.).

The RTM is early next year and I wonder whether this hybrid OS will take off like Win 7 did and what the SKUs will be (a separate sku for tablets and traditional desktop/laptop machine or will there be just one SKU with a Metro UI kill switch?).

This is clearly an early build and many of the promised improvements have not been included. Interesting experience. I'm keeping an open mind.

Video.
    Last edited by raypin; 09-25-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Surface Pro 3 i5/256 + Sony Vaio Duo 13 + HP Envy 14 Spectre + MacBook Air / Nokia Lumia 1520 / iBasso DX100 + Hifiman HM801 + iPod Classic + ATH W3000 ANV + Westone 3 + Sennheiser HD 800 + Fitear To Go! 334 + Audeze LCD - X + Cypher Lab Theorem 720 + Alo Audio PanAm & Passport + Woo Audio WA7 / Panasonic AX200E HD + Buttkicker LFE + Apple TV 160 GB

Liked
    12 times
    Real Name
    Cara Bello

ice
    Liked
    202 times
    Real Name
    Ice Ang

seems like a lot of Netbooks won't running Windows 8

Windows 8: system requirements for the Consumer Preview

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/28...nsumer-preview

"One new element to Windows 8 is the requirement that Metro style applications have a minimum of 1024x768 screen resolution, and 1366x768 for the snap feature. If you attempt to launch a Metro style app with less than this resolution (e.g. 800x600, 1024x600) you will receive an error message."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123