Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

OSX Lion installation

This is a discussion on OSX Lion installation within the OS X and OS X Apps forums, part of the Software MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; Can you reinstall osx lion into an upgraded hard drive. Once I upgrade my hard drive into a much larger ...

Liked
    24 times

Default OSX Lion installation

Can you reinstall osx lion into an upgraded hard drive. Once I upgrade my hard drive into a much larger one and use the older hard drive to boot up the system. Is it possible for me to reinstall lion using the lion recovery tools. Would I be able to install lion on the new hard drive this way. As much as possible I don't want to clone my old hard drive.
    Macbook Pro 13" 750 GB Core I5 2.3 GHZ | Classic Ipod 160 GB | Iphone 4S 16 GB White

Liked
    89 times
    MacBook Air MC966 | iPad mini ME820 | OM-D E-M5 + Lumix G X 12-35mm | Xperia P LT22i Black | PS3 CECH-3001A | PS2 SCPH-90006CB | PSP-3000KPW

Liked
    5 times
    Real Name
    Dennis Zuniga

Default Re: OSX Lion installation

you can also use the migration assistant to transfer applications, users, settings.
    15" late 2011 mbp * 13" mid 2011 mba * 13" early 2011 mbp * mid 2010 mac mini with apple keyboard, magic mouse and remote * iPad 2 16gb wifi * iPad 32gb wifi * iPhone 4S 32gb * iPhone 4 16gb

Liked
    393 times
    Real Name
    Gino R. Punsalan

I believe you can restore a Time Machine backup to the new hdd using the Recovery volume.

1. Install the new hdd
    2. Install old hdd on a usb case and connect to the Mac
    3. Boot into the Recovery HD volume by pressing option key after tone. Choose Recovery HD.
    4. Use Disk Utility to format the new hdd Mac OS Journaled. In Partition Options, choose GUID partition scheme NOT mbr.
    5. Exit DU and Restore Time Machine backup unto the new hdd.

I believe that will work without a Lion installer.
    MacBook Air 11.6"  Airport Extreme Base Station  Apple Magic Mouse  iPad 2  iPad 4  iPod Touch 4

Liked
    86 times

That will work, except Recovery Volume won't be in the new hdd. Needs to have Recovery Volume on a flash drive handy.

Liked
    393 times
    Real Name
    Gino R. Punsalan

Step 2 or create Recovery volume on a usb stick:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433
    MacBook Air 11.6"  Airport Extreme Base Station  Apple Magic Mouse  iPad 2  iPad 4  iPod Touch 4

Liked
    86 times

Agree on the latter since step 2 might not be possible later on if the user decides to repartition the old hdd and use it for other purposes other than boot drive.

Liked
    393 times
    Real Name
    Gino R. Punsalan

Good point. I don't think restoration will put a Recovery HD volume on the new drive. Yes, the poster should create a Recovery HD volume on a usb stick to assist in the future.