Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Simcards inside Globe/Smart/Sun Broadband USB modems

This is a discussion on Simcards inside Globe/Smart/Sun Broadband USB modems within the Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express forums, part of the Hardware MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; Are the simcards inside these USB modems similar as to their regular prepaid cellphone simcards that we can just buy ...

Liked
    14 times

Default Simcards inside Globe/Smart/Sun Broadband USB modems

Are the simcards inside these USB modems similar as to their regular prepaid cellphone simcards that we can just buy anywhere? Or are they special in the sense that they have data only capabilities? The reason I'm asking is because I purchased the Huawei e5830 MiFi and I want to be able to use this with Smart Bro, Globe Tattoo, or Sun Broadband wireless.

Another way to rephrase my question is that supposing someone had an unlocked USB 3G modem (either Globe Tattoo/Smart Bro/SBW), can he/she just purchase a regular prepaid simpack that can be bought just about anywhere, load it up, then use it for 3G surfing?

Or, do I have to buy the prepaid broadband kits of each of the telcos just to utilize the data sims that come with it.

Thanks guys.
    Think. Feel. Drive.

bon

Default Re: Simcards inside Globe/Smart/Sun Broadband USB modems

AFAIK both Globe and Smart use the usual prepaid SIM that can be used to make calls/texts on normal cell phones.

I'm not so sure about Sun - My postpaid Sun Broadband Wireless card cannot be used to make calls/texts, but can be installed on any smart phone if you intend to use the phone's data features exclusively. This might not be the case with prepaid SBW cards.

Liked
    4 times

As long as it is unlock you can use any sim, just modify the settings according to each carrier's network setting.
    Team applei- Filipino iPhone Community

Quote Originally Posted by bon View Post
    AFAIK both Globe and Smart use the usual prepaid SIM that can be used to make calls/texts on normal cell phones.

I'm not so sure about Sun - My postpaid Sun Broadband Wireless card cannot be used to make calls/texts, but can be installed on any smart phone if you intend to use the phone's data features exclusively. This might not be the case with prepaid SBW cards.
    Same case. The SIM card from my prepaid SBW cannot be used for calling and texting.
    ⌘ Macbook Aluminum Late 2008 ⌘ 32GB iPod Touch 3G ⌘

Liked
    5 times
    Real Name
    Mitch Bautista

Quote Originally Posted by wakomasei View Post
    Same case. The SIM card from my prepaid SBW cannot be used for calling and texting.
    + 1 here. Also, i could use the SWB Sim card on any 3G phone to browse the net.
    MBP 2.4 C2D | NewiPad 16GB Wifi / Cellular Black | iPhone 5 Black

Liked
    14 times

Thanks for all the inputs guys. So to sum it all up, any prepaid simcard will do for Globe/Smart 3G access. However for SBW, I guess I would have to purchase a prepaid SBW kit and pop out the SIM.
    Think. Feel. Drive.

Liked
    133 times
    Real Name
    Richard Dy

They sell specialized broadband sim cards, but you could also use their regular prepaid sim cards.

here's my experience:

SMART
    1. you could use regular smart buddy sims with the APN: internet (easier to find and set up)
    2. Smart bro sims - only available at smart wireless center APN: SMARTBRO (better support but hard to find since most smart wireless centers I go to are full of people)

GLOBE
    1. AFAIK they use the same sim for the modems and the prepaid sim under the brand name: Tattoo APN: http.globe.com.ph

SUN:
    1. Their prepaid sims does not usually come activated for internet and you have to sms the keyword activate to 2300 and wait 48 hours for it to activate.
    2. prepaid sun broadband on the other hand comes activated and ready to surf the web, but the sim card is data only unlike smart bro and globe tattoo.
    |MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.4Ghz 4GB 250GB Mountain Lion 10.8.5|iPhone 5s Gray iOS 7.0.2|iPad Mini iOS 7.0.2|

Hi guys!

I have a related question but for iPad users.

Can I take the same sim that's inside Smartbro or Globe Tattoo USB modems and use it for the iPad (granted that I have to cut the sim and make it into a microsim).

Will this work automatically like plugging in a normal phone sim?

Has anyone tried this?

I am skeptical because when you use the Smartbro or Tattoo you install a software on your computer and you click the "connect to internet" button. Then the modem logs in to connect to the internet. While the ordinary phone sim requires no logging in.

There might be some setting configuration.

thanks in advance.

Liked
    46 times

Quote Originally Posted by ninocaruncho View Post
    Hi guys!

I have a related question but for iPad users.

Can I take the same sim that's inside Smartbro or Globe Tattoo USB modems and use it for the iPad (granted that I have to cut the sim and make it into a microsim).

Will this work automatically like plugging in a normal phone sim?

Has anyone tried this?

I am skeptical because when you use the Smartbro or Tattoo you install a software on your computer and you click the "connect to internet" button. Then the modem logs in to connect to the internet. While the ordinary phone sim requires no logging in.

There might be some setting configuration.

thanks in advance.
    Yes you can. The secret is aligning the three metal contacts on the sim. You can use the provided AT&T microsim as a guide. I'm currently using my Sun sim that came with the Huawei modem, I just trimmed the edges, aligned the metal contacts, and inserted it in the iPad sim slot. In case i need to use my usb broadband modem, i use a microsim adapter bought online to regain the original form factor. No settings required, it automatically connects and is always live.
    If you are an IT, you are E. Furniture!

Liked
    133 times
    Real Name
    Richard Dy

Just don't forget to enter the APN for Globe Tattoo: internet.globe.com.ph Smart Bro: SMARTBRO and Smart Buddy: internet

any sim card will do I suggest Smart for extensive coverage for prepaid and Sun for postpaid.
    |MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.4Ghz 4GB 250GB Mountain Lion 10.8.5|iPhone 5s Gray iOS 7.0.2|iPad Mini iOS 7.0.2|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast