Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

LTE Plans: Globe vs Smart

This is a discussion on LTE Plans: Globe vs Smart within the Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express forums, part of the Hardware MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; Ive been looking into the possibility of getting a phone + postpaid line or just a sim only postpaid line ...

Default LTE Plans: Globe vs Smart

Ive been looking into the possibility of getting a phone + postpaid line or just a sim only postpaid line with the telcos for mobile internet. I use Globe Tattoo DSL (Postpaid) at home and Smart Mobile Internet (Postpaid) for my iPad. I travel most of the time and need a reliable, fast and uncapped mobile broadband plan (i download a lot of movies and music)

As LTE is now the wave of the future, i was thinking it would be useful to put in one place all the information out there about the current offerings from Smart and Globe in order to better inform all of us and be able to make an informed decision in subscribing to either of the telcos.

Here are the facts I was able to gather from inquiring at each telcos wireless centres, please feel free to add in the comments below and I will edit the main topic as we go along.

Globe Postpaid LTE Line
    Plan : iPhone Plan - Unlisurf 999
    Cost : Php 999 / month plus phone unit cost add on.
    Capped : No cap - unlimited data
    Lock in - 24 month with iPhone 5

Smart Postpaid LTE Line
    Plan : iPhone Plan - Unlidata 999
    Cost : Php 999 / month plus phone unit cost add on
    Capped : 1.5 GB per month then speed down to 256kbps for the remainder of the month
    Lock in - 24 months with iPhone 5

-------------------------------------------------

Post compliance: Related Post about Globe vs Smart: (Does not address the LTE issue)
    Unli Surf: Which one is Better GLOBE or SMART? Link
    Globe vs SMART 3GLink
    iMac 24" : Macbook Pro 13 : iPhone 4 32GB : iPad 2 32GB : Apeks Flight : Halcyon BCD : JP Slalom Board : Neilpryde Sails

Liked
    24 times
    Real Name
    Rodrigo Basa

Default Re: LTE Plans: Globe vs Smart

You said you download a lot of movies and music. I assume you'll also be using the iPhone 5 as a wifi hotspot. That 1.5GB monthly cap of Smart will go rather quickly. If all you'll be doing is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the apps that send data to a server, 1.5GB might cut it. Otherwise, no.

Liked
    88 times

Or better yet, just do your downloading at home using your DSL since it has a bigger cap allowance (if it does have one)

Liked
    103 times
    Real Name
    Richard Dy

Coverage and stability: Smart

Pricing and Generosity (Re: capping): Globe

What I learn about the telcos here is that you really can't have it both ways.

Here's what I know so far:

For regular postpaid plans that comes with an LTE Phone, Globe's offering is much more generous with unlimited LTE access. One caveat would be the 7.2mbps cap they seem to put on plan 999 subs (selective only, not all the time).

For Smart, LTE seems to be available as another type of plan pricing, Data Plan 1500, etc. These are marketed as unlimited (in terms of how many times you can use it). For iPhone, you see their iPhone plan too but the truly unlimited aspect (no speed throttling or capping) will be gone by April 30th, 2013. Speeds will be throttled after you reach your plan's limit from uncapped speeds of 20-60mbps to something below 1mbps. After everything is considered, Smart is king for coverage and overall reliability of its network.

Globe's approach: A data plan is a data plan, you are free to use 2G, 3G or 4G HSPA+/LTE for what you paid for.
    Smart's approach: LTE is a premium offering and should require a separate plan or add on.

Smart is a bit protective of their network (or their pockets) while Globe is more generous at the same time still cautious (re: throttle for unlisurf 999).
    Last edited by rdy0329; 03-29-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    |MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.4Ghz 4GB 250GB Mountain Lion 10.8.5|iPhone 5s Gray iOS 7.0.2|iPad Mini iOS 7.0.2|

Liked
    103 times
    Real Name
    Francis Ian Espiritu

Quote Originally Posted by rdy0329 View Post
    Coverage and stability: Smart

Pricing and Generosity (Re: capping): Globe

What I learn about the telcos here is that you really can't have it both ways.

Here's what I know so far:

For regular postpaid plans that comes with an LTE Phone, Globe's offering is much more generous with unlimited LTE access. One caveat would be the 7.2mbps cap they seem to put on plan 999 subs (selective only, not all the time).

For Smart, LTE seems to be available as another type of plan pricing, Data Plan 1500, etc. These are marketed as unlimited (in terms of how many times you can use it). For iPhone, you see their iPhone plan too but the truly unlimited aspect (no speed throttling or capping) will be gone by April 30th, 2013. Speeds will be throttled after you reach your plan's limit from uncapped speeds of 20-60mbps to something below 1mbps. After everything is considered, Smart is king for coverage and overall reliability of its network.

Globe's approach: A data plan is a data plan, you are free to use 2G, 3G or 4G HSPA+/LTE for what you paid for.
    Smart's approach: LTE is a premium offering and should require a separate plan or add on.

Smart is a bit protective of their network (or their pockets) while Globe is more generous at the same time still cautious (re: throttle for unlisurf 999).
    For plan 999 throttling, has this been proven? I'm on it and I'm not sure if I'm being throttled. I get more than 7.2mbps though when on an iPhone 5.

Liked
    5 times

In a situation where both signals will be good for your area (LTE coverage is fair for both networks) then globe is the way to go. (price wise)

However, speed will still vary depending on how many users are connected to the network. Globe offering a better plan compared to Smart offering a premium plan for LTE will tend to attract a lot of customers to Globe, resulting in huge network traffic for peak hours.

So it entirely depends on where you want to be locked for 2 years with it's service.

If you ask me, I'm quite satisfied with Globe's here in Cebu.

and no, I am not in any way affiliated with Globe. Just a regular satisfied customer.

Liked
    103 times
    Real Name
    Richard Dy

Quote Originally Posted by francisian View Post
    For plan 999 throttling, has this been proven? I'm on it and I'm not sure if I'm being throttled. I get more than 7.2mbps though when on an iPhone 5.
    I got speeds not exceeding 7.2mbps in Makati and DLSU area while I exceed 7.2 in The Fort and Katipunan so I stand by my selective notion. It will depend on area congestion, I guess? I did several speedtests and it won't exceed 7.2mbps in areas mentioned above. There's a way to get around it but so far, I'm content with speeds like that.
    |MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.4Ghz 4GB 250GB Mountain Lion 10.8.5|iPhone 5s Gray iOS 7.0.2|iPad Mini iOS 7.0.2|

Liked
    103 times
    Real Name
    Francis Ian Espiritu

Quote Originally Posted by rdy0329 View Post
    I got speeds not exceeding 7.2mbps in Makati and DLSU area while I exceed 7.2 in The Fort and Katipunan so I stand by my selective notion. It will depend on area congestion, I guess? I did several speedtests and it won't exceed 7.2mbps in areas mentioned above. There's a way to get around it but so far, I'm content with speeds like that.
    Could it be that those areas are congested and not necessarily throttled? I get 7mbos too in Makati but at home in mandaluyong I get couple to triple that speed.

Liked
    6 times

I went with globe unli postpaid. Smart rep shockedme on sunday when she said about the cap but from what i have seen the penalty for exceeding is roughly 300mb to 300 pesos. I got a print out from the reps computer that supports this. Id rather go with unli globe or smart 3g until the rates are more reasonable.

id be happy with 3 or 4mb speed as long as it consistent and with proper coverage. Lte whichever vendor is a nice hedge to pldt abusive linemen ( kotong linemen ) and customer uncare team.

Liked
    103 times
    Real Name
    Richard Dy

Quote Originally Posted by francisian View Post
    Could it be that those areas are congested and not necessarily throttled? I get 7mbos too in Makati but at home in mandaluyong I get couple to triple that speed.
    If areas are congested, the speeds would linger above or below and not just stay steady during my downloads and or speedtests.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast