Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Globe tattoo, Smart bro or Sun Broadband Wireless

This is a discussion on Globe tattoo, Smart bro or Sun Broadband Wireless within the Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express forums, part of the Hardware MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; @pepspeps got it. It seems there are areas in which the signals of the telecom companies are strong. In Quezon ...

Westchester County, Salem Center, New York
    Liked
    8 times
    Real Name
    Michael Lu

Default Re: Globe tattoo, Smart bro or Sun Broadband Wireless

@pepspeps got it. It seems there are areas in which the signals of the telecom companies are strong. In Quezon City based on my experience the signal of Globe is quite erratic while Smartbro's is consistent. It appears the opposite in your area.
    Until the day til all are one.

jor

I'm now looking at Wi-tribe, Smartbro and Sky near the CHED-ULTRA Ortigas Center area. Anyone have any experience with these providers?

mnx
    Liked
    181 times
    Real Name
    Boylit De Guzman

just an update...

i've installed a cdrking cellphone signal booster (900MHz) at home... strangely, i now get hspda on my android phone... i thought wcdma/hsdpa was 2100MHz...

not complaining as i'm getting a consistent 3mbps downstream... tethered my mba and downloaded a 15gb file last night... kept going 2.5-3mbps all til the download finished... even when the bars on the phone was reading near zero... must be an android glitch as the network info app says i'm getting -55dBm signal (good for full bars)...

here's a screen cap off my phone this morning...

Liked
    133 times
    Real Name
    Richard Dy

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    @rdy and @isalapare

Thanks for the replies.

So let me try to summarize it:

Sun - not good. Period.

Globe - fastest, but capped at 800mb a day. Wouldn't that be unattractive when you're trying to download tv shows?

Smart - no cap, but slow (50kb/s).

What about getting the new Globe Lamborghini stick? Will that be fast AND capped too? Considering its an expensive plan, I'm hoping it would be reasonable to download right?

Also, how can I test whether my area will get good reception? Does my current globe mobile data reflect globe tattoo signals (i.e. if I get 3g in my house, but not in my office, does that mean signal in house will be good for tattoo than office)?

Lastly, can you share your connection to wifi?
    Globe tattoo postpaid DOES NOT HAVE CAPPING. You can download at full speed (if you do get full speed) with no worries.

To test out the three telco, buy an unlocked modem (preferable those hspa+ compatible modem already i.e. huawei e353, look around at tipidpc, hotgadgets sells some, i got mine there.)

You can share your 3G connection using 3G wifi routers. I recommend sapido since they offer free firmware upgrades to old routers to support newer datacards (3G modem). I use the Sapido RB1632 n-router. Its small and yes, it covers less area but that works for me and my medium sized condo unit. They sell a slew of routers though so you'll have many options. It's available in all pc chain stores in the metro. (there's one in v-mall, greenhills)

Quote Originally Posted by jor View Post
    I'm now looking at Wi-tribe, Smartbro and Sky near the CHED-ULTRA Ortigas Center area. Anyone have any experience with these providers?
    For wi-tribe, now is the best time to subscribe since the lock in period is now lowered to 12 months from 24 months and general speed increase to new subscribers. Plan 598 is now 1mbps and plan 998 is now 2mbps. Plan 1998 is now 4mbps.

I'm on witribe at home and I do get those speeds. Request for a trial at home from their website. www.wi-tribe.ph

Heed of caution though, they still have capping BUT its less strict than before. Now I can download 50gb of data and still not be capped, only after so much abuse will my speed get bogged down to 256kbps or 30KB/s download which doesn't sting when doing some web browsing.

YMMV though.
    |MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.4Ghz 4GB 250GB Mountain Lion 10.8.5|iPhone 5s Gray iOS 7.0.2|iPad Mini iOS 7.0.2|

jor

Quote Originally Posted by rdy0329 View Post

For wi-tribe, now is the best time to subscribe since the lock in period is now lowered to 12 months from 24 months and general speed increase to new subscribers. Plan 598 is now 1mbps and plan 998 is now 2mbps. Plan 1998 is now 4mbps.

I'm on witribe at home and I do get those speeds. Request for a trial at home from their website. www.wi-tribe.ph

Heed of caution though, they still have capping BUT its less strict than before. Now I can download 50gb of data and still not be capped, only after so much abuse will my speed get bogged down to 256kbps or 30KB/s download which doesn't sting when doing some web browsing.

YMMV though.
    Thank you. I've put in a request for a demo but I guess I have to wait until Monday for that. I don't do a lot of downloading or uploading. Most of my internet activity is confined to browsing, reading, and sending emails.

I've been using Globe which I mentioned in a previous post has slowed to an incredible crawl--less than 30 kb/s for a download. Or else I experience things like gmail taking forever to load, or if I want to load multiple pages, I stop to play a game while I see the loading icon do a perpetual wheel. My connection has always been slow but over the past two weeks, it just started acting like a dial-up connection, which is why I decided to ditch it. Also, I'm on some old plan at 990 for 512kbps.

Liked
    5 times
    Real Name
    Lani Garcia

The decision actually depends on your location: network strength and congestion
    Here in my place, Manggahan, Pasig, I have tried all 3 networks when my PLDT bugged down.
    The Smart cannot connect, the Globe connects but logs off in a few mins, and the screen just keeps loading. The Sun holds its connection and is very workable. Only Sun works in my area up to 1Mbps speed during off-peak hours. Normally in the range of 500Mbps-850 Mbps.
    *12" iBook G4 1.33GHz 1.5GB 40GB OS X 10.4.11*HP Pavilion P4 2.6GHz 1GB 80GB OS X 10.6.8*Python and Windows RT on Raspberry Pi*

jor

I got a wi-tribe demo but the demo unit won't let you test torrents so I didn't sign up. I asked a friend to bring her wi-tribe modem to my house so I could test it. She has a 2Mbps plan. The torrent download was spectacularly pathetic: worse than smart bro prepaid, which means slower than 15 kbps.

When I called up Globe to unsubscribe, they offered me a free 1 month trial of Globe Wi-max which, they checked then and there, isn't available in my area though it is available just a corner away from me. My area is more or less 250 meters from CHED-ULTRA.

I just signed up for a SkyCable 15 day trial. Torrent download was at a decent clip of over 100 kbps. That's good enough for me. Will post updates on performance and consistency after the 15 days are up.

Liked
    2 times

Default Globe tattoo, Smart bro or Sun Broadband Wireless

The secret to speed issues is to strictly force your modems to just 3G/HSPA/HSPA+/WCDMA signal ONLY. Through this you can avail of the faster speed that the networks offer. Devices are normally on 3G-EDGE selection, whichever has the stronger signal then that's the connection you will get. Forcing to 3G allows you to "focus" the modem or 3G device to 3G signal only.

However, if you really do not have 3G signal in your area, then, more likely you won't get any signal at all and will be forced to use EDGE or GPRS, which are definitely slower.

so, better check first if your 3G signal is very strong in areas you frequent most.

Sun does not have 3G signals in Purto Galera, Dipolog, Boracay, parts of Cebu and Davao and has poor 3G signal in Ortigas Center, Dasmarinas Cavite and San Pedro, Laguna.

Globe's 3G signal is erratic in San Pedro and Dasmarinas but decent enough. Also very weak in Ortigas Center.

Smart, I have yet to check which areas have strong 3G signal

Liked
    45 times

Availed of the newest Globe myfi plan 299 with 40hours/month allocation.

This is perfect for my quick on the go needs besides I've free Internet minutes on my iPhone plan. To top it all, it doesn't have a lock up period

Liked
    9 times

anyone tried any of the networks in Taguig? which one you prefer?
    Canon 7D, Macbook Pro 15", iPhone 3G, Dlink Mifi, iPad (Soon)...
    http://www.jeffreyching.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreyching/

Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-14-2014, 01:16 PM
  2. 04-26-2014, 10:44 PM
  3. 04-11-2014, 02:52 AM
  4. 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM
  5. 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM
  6. 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM
  7. 05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
  8. 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM