Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Map location NOT updating on SGNote

This is a discussion on Map location NOT updating on SGNote within the Third party hardware, software and accessories forums, part of the Fun MUG Stuff category; when i use the Map app on my android phone (Galaxy Note) it does not update on my position. every ...

Liked
    12 times

Default Map location NOT updating on SGNote

when i use the Map app on my android phone (Galaxy Note) it does not update on my position. every time i use it, it tells me im somewhere that im not. everywhere i go it always point to that location. Wi-fi is ON, Mobile network in Location is ON, GPS is OFF.
    Someone told me to turn on gps, but i know it does not to be on to get a fix on the position on the map since our mobile network and Wifi can determine that...tried it on my other phone (HTC desire HD) without a SIM but wifi is on, the same problem also where before it was not a problem. tried using Map on my wife's iphone 4, and it works fine. Am i missing something or is there a current problem with maps on android?
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks guys

Liked
    506 times
    Real Name
    Allan Poe Yu

Default Re: Map location NOT updating on SGNote

On another android device, mine works but I have to turn on GPS and I should have clear view of the sky above my device

Pls turn on your wifi and GPS
    clear your RAM
    launch MAPS
    Data Transmission Solution Provider Fiber Optic, copper, Wireless, PC-based PBX telephone system, IP cam security system, Distributed Video system
    AMDG

Liked
    70 times
    Real Name
    Rolly Ceballos

When Wifi is used to triangulate your location, it uses the IP address to know your location. If your ISP uses a proxy chances are you'd be geo-located in the same location as where that proxy server is. For example, in our office we use a proxy located in India. If I turn off GPS and connect to the proxy using wifi it shows me in India when using FourSquare and Maps.
    Rolly
    A Black Macbook, a 2010 15" MBP and an iPhone

MobileJunkie blog | bacchus_3 flickr

Liked
    64 times
    Real Name
    Peter Tan

For more accurate location tracking, GPS should be on.

Liked
    109 times
    Real Name
    Randy Rivera

click the circle on the upper right, the icon should change, then tracking is enabled. if you scroll the map, tracking will be disabled again.

Liked
    12 times

tried clicking the icon on the upper right corner, still no effect, still the same wrong location.
    i'm not using the map for navigation so i dont need to turn on GPS. i just need my location to check-in to places, etc...so WiFi and mobile network turned ON should know where i am on the map.
    When i check in to a place using my FB account, it always suggest places that are not where i am nor near where i am. when i change locations, it suggests the same establishments from the previous check-in...weird!
    Last edited by albert69; 05-09-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Liked
    776 times

Like everyone says here TURN ON your GPS.
    "Doctors add years to life, PTs add life to years."
    "Smell my victory! Smell it!" -Agamemnon

Liked
    109 times
    Real Name
    Randy Rivera

albert, you really need to turn on the GPS.

In order to get the exact location, you will need to use 3 to 5 US Military satellites in order to triangulate your exact location down to the last inch. You also need to be outdoors also so that your phone can receive the pulses (signal) from the satellites hovering in space.

using network based (cell site proximity, and IP) is not enough to determine your exact location.

Liked
    10 times

just to prove everyone's point, try opening a map in your office, on your desktop/laptop (and log in to your Google Lattitude). Then compare it with your SG Note's display. notice the similar inaccuracy?

How about doing it this way. Walk/Drive using GPS On, then Walk/Drive using GPS Off, then Walk/Drive using GPS On, then Walk/Drive using GPS Off, then Walk/Drive using GPS On, then Walk/Drive using GPS Off, then tell us if its still not updating with GPS on. if that's the case, return to manufacturer.

anyway, just RTFM.

Liked
    12 times

yes I know you have to turn ON gps to get a fix on your location and my Note has no problem getting my location so it has no defects...
    my concern is, coming from an HTC phone, it can determine my location even if gps is OFF and only WiFI is ON. even my wife's iphone can do that only with wifi. these 2 devices can locate your position even if your INSIDE an establishment where its impossible to get a GPS signal.

here's a scenario: me, my wife and my son are eating INSIDE a restaurant, i'm using my Note, an iphone for my wife and an HTC desire HD for my son. We all want to see our location using Maps. all 3 have wifi ON and GPS OFF. the Iphone and HTC know where its on the map but my Note does not....
    So you're telling me the iphone/HTC phone can get location only with wifi ON and the Samsung Note cannot?
    anyway, thanks for your comments eveyone