Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Protecting and cleaning the Mac

This is a discussion on Protecting and cleaning the Mac within the Newbies & Switchers forums, part of the Archived Threads category; So I'm planning to put a invis shield, screen guard and keyboard guard. I also planning to clean the mac ...

Default Protecting and cleaning the Mac

So I'm planning to put a invis shield, screen guard and keyboard guard.
    I also planning to clean the mac with a screen cleaner.
    Would there be brands I should not use?
    What brand should I use?

Thanks in advance

Liked
    18 times
    Real Name
    Robin Rivera

Default Re: Safety in protecting the Mac

You don't really need a special "screen cleaner". Just wipe with damp (not dripping) tissue paper to remove smudges, then dry it off with a microfiber cloth (like from 3M). As for stick on stuff, I avoid them completely. They will eventually get dull anyway. Just get a sleeve to avoid scratches in transit.

For keyboard rubber "condoms", I guess any will do as long as it fits right. I've always had really cheap no-name ones, and they work just fine. I'm kinda skeptical about the Capdase models that have cooling holes. It defeats the purpose because if you drop any liquid on the keyboard, it will leak through the holes.

Liked
    2 times

Forget about keyboard guards. Its a waste of money. Your laptop would be harder, more like uncomfortable, to type on and would just add another accessory in your bag adding minimal weight. I'd rather avoid bringing liquid close to my laptop than having a keyboard protector.

Safety is a key priority in work and we believe that the first step in avoiding accidents is by eliminating the hazard, thus the liquid example.

Many would also point you toward wrapsol instead of invisible shield for the bare look. I keep mine bare though.

Liked
    7 times
    Real Name
    John Ramirez

^+1. Plus keyboard guards prevents ventilation. As you can see in your keys, there are "holes" to vent the heat out.

I suggest, if you really want to protect your mac, Wrapsol would be best (that's according to what I read so far) since it provides complete protection for your mac. However, you just have to prevent dirt from accumulating on the sides.

Other than these, there's no use in buying other accessories. A good padded sleeve and a nice bag will do.

Oh yeah, be careful in handling it. Yes, the best accessory is your carefulness.

So, you mean dirt still accumulates at the side of wrapsol? uh-oh! I really don't want that to happen. It bothers me. I think I'm going to keep mine bare.

Liked
    7 times
    Real Name
    John Ramirez

Quote Originally Posted by agua24 View Post
    So, you mean dirt still accumulates at the side of wrapsol? uh-oh! I really don't want that to happen. It bothers me. I think I'm going to keep mine bare.
    yes it does since it does not cover all the body, just the surface. but it can easily be cleaned as long as you dont let it accumulate, say for 3 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by makinao View Post

For keyboard rubber "condoms", I guess any will do as long as it fits right. I've always had really cheap no-name ones, and they work just fine. I'm kinda skeptical about the Capdase models that have cooling holes. It defeats the purpose because if you drop any liquid on the keyboard, it will leak through the holes.
    I have this on my MBP. I find it useful because my keyboard does not get that annoying shine at the center of the keys and iwas greasy finger prints who touch my keyboard. LOL.

Liked
    80 times
    Real Name
    Mark Ryan

OT: and using your macbook bare makes you look more macho..

I like to put a screen guard for those people who seem to like sticking their fingers into my monitor when they point out stuff. X.x They always get a "This is not a touch screen" from me.

Any recommendations?

Liked
    804 times
    Real Name
    Butch Dalisay

just a word of advice from a longtime apple laptop user (20+ years and as many machines )--don't get too OC about "protection", or that consciousness could get in the way of working with and enjoying your mac. i've never used keyboard protectors because they get in the way of fast and comfortable typing.

whatever you do, your mac will undergo wear and tear; even if you manage to keep it physically immaculate, it will depreciate naturally as the technology advances. often, the best protection--as has been suggested--is to keep possible threats (like glasses of water or mugs of coffee) at a distance, and to give the mac a good cleaning once in a while.
     Old fountain pens, watches, cameras, hats, flushes and full houses, and all things Apple www.penmanila.ph

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast