Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

How to sync differently iPhone and iPad without having to create another library

This is a discussion on How to sync differently iPhone and iPad without having to create another library within the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch forums, part of the Hardware MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; How to sync differently iPhone and iPad without having to create another library and consume disk space. As we all ...

Default How to sync differently iPhone and iPad without having to create another library

How to sync differently iPhone and iPad without having to create another library and consume disk space.

As we all know, there are apps that are exclusive for iPhone that appears crappy in an iPad, I want to remove it on my iPad screen but I'm afraid that if I delete/reposition them, they will also get deleted/repositioned in my iPhone. I was advised to create a new library so as to sync it differently, but won't the similar apps and music consume extra computer disk space?

anyone who can teach me how to deal with this?

thanks.

and oh sorry if this kind of thread already exists😓... or if I'm lost on another subforum... I would like to ask our moderators to kindly merge/delete/transfer this thread and direct me to the right thread.

thanks.
    iPod Touch 1st Gen 8G | iPhone 4 16GB Black | the New iPad 32GB White | iPhone5 (hopefully on the 14th)

Liked
    100 times
    Real Name
    Mark Ryan

Default Re: How to sync differently iPhone and iPad without having to create another library

no need to create a new library. itunes maintains a list of installed apps per device. it doesn't use one list across all devices.

for music/movies, you can have each iOS device sync to a individual playlist. just create playlists in itunes (for example, "iPhone media" for your iPhone, and "iPad media" for your iPad) and sync it to that playlist in your device options on itunes.

Thank cyberathlete... Does that mean i can delete an app on iPad and still show up on iPhone and iPod touch? (sorry, just making sure to avoid the hassle)
    iPod Touch 1st Gen 8G | iPhone 4 16GB Black | the New iPad 32GB White | iPhone5 (hopefully on the 14th)

Liked
    286 times
    Real Name
    Jonathan Paul Vital

Quote Originally Posted by teardrops17 View Post
    Thank cyberathlete... Does that mean i can delete an app on iPad and still show up on iPhone and iPod touch? (sorry, just making sure to avoid the hassle)
    Yup that won't be a problem.
     MacBook Pro Retina 13" 256gb ssd 8gb ram,  iPhone 5S Gold 16gb,  iPad Air Wifi+LTE White 16gb,  TV 3rd Gen, Fujifilm X-T1

Wedding & Events Photographer https://www.facebook.com/vitalimagephoto

Liked
    225 times
    Real Name
    Enuh Iglesias

Default Re: How to sync differently iPhone and iPad without having to create another library

no worries about deleting an app on your ipad affecting your iPhone. I don't have my laptop with me right now, but afaik, you can enable/disable some settings in iTunes to prevent the situation. So, if you usually sync your iPhone/iPad to the computer and transfer apps from the computer to your iDevice, check the apps list first. You can select, afaik, the option such as "Show iPhone apps only" to make sure that you can sync only the ones you need.

also, make sure you don't have automatic downloads turned on in your iDevice(s). Go to:

Settings/Store/

turn off automatic downloads for music and apps.

Not sure if my suggestions directly resolve your problem but I hope you find the info useful!

Founder, Editor-In-Chief & Girl Friday of appSIZED: Big and small Pleasures for Your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch || Join the appSIZED FB page! || Read about my ragdoll cats & comic book reviews || If you love cats, please visit BB the ragdoll cat, he'd love to meet you!

I had the same problem with my ipad, my sister is using an iphone and we are sharing the same pc, so when I sync the music and apps in my ipad it includes all her music too. I am not yet familiar with itunes since I am using an ipad for only 2 weeks.

Liked
    88 times

Default How to sync differently iPhone and iPad without having to create another library

Create a playlist and sync that instead of just the whole library.

iTunes sync works differently for apps as opposed to music when multiple devices are involved.

If you have an iPhone and an iPad and you sync both to the same iTunes library, your apps will be kept strictly separate for each of the devices.

Your music, on the other hand will be identical on both devices.

As a result you don't need to create a new library if you only want to keep your iPad apps separate from your iPhone such.

Liked
    50 times

I set my iDevices to "manually manage music and videos" so that I have full control on what goes on each device. Even if I delete songs in the iTunes library the music stays on the device. And with the new automatic download features on iOS5 my devices can still automatically download the new songs I buy from iTunes even without syncing and manually adding the songs to the device.

Do note that if you are already automatically synching now changing to manual will delete all the music and videos from your device. You better be sure that you have everything in your library so you can add it back later.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1535#