YouTuber are you?

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by markandapps, Nov 15, 2016.

1. markandapps

markandapps Member

Anyone who is an active YouTuber here? How often do you upload videos? What camera do you use? Mic and video editing software? :)

2. ivin

ivin Active Member

Hmmm tried to start a channel but really couldnt fine the time, just uploaded around 2 videos last summer when i had the time :D

Used my gopro hero 3 plus and s7 last year :)

markandapps likes this.
  3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Don't know what qualifies as YouTuber. I have more ideas than time.

But if I had the time, I would use what I have now:
    * Primarily my GH4, Blackmagic cameras; prime MFT lenses (Olympus, Panasonic and Voigtlander).
    * Occasionally: GoPro and Samsung 360 cameras;
    * Primary editing: mostly FCP X, on my Mac Pro and MBP.
    * Occasionally: Apple Motion 5 and After Effects;
    * Not yet: Legit copy of Da Vinci Resolve, but have not used it yet. Looks powerful and fun, but no time for something that deep.

IMO, YouTube seems to be better for viral videos. But Vimeo generally has better, more artistic videos. Quantity vs quality.

My favorite video last month is on Vimeo:

Nikkio96 likes this.
  4. markandapps

markandapps Member

I think we have the same quandary. I have 2 channels, one is for my guitar covers and the other one for "tech". I used to upload frequently before but just stopped making for more than 2 years now. I have a lot of ideas but have no time and making a video, I think requires a lot of time, effort and passion. Btw, I use note 2 and iphone 5s but I already sold my 5s. Thanks for the reply. ☺:)

ivin likes this.
  5. markandapps

markandapps Member

Wow! You're so blessed to have a GH4 and Blackmagic camera! GH4 is my dream camera (have you tried Panasonic fz1000?). I also read a lot that Blackmagic cameras have high dynamic range.
    How about for audio recording? Have you considered buying a zoom H1 or H5/H6?
    I agree with you, Vimeo offers generally better videos (more like a portfolio) and while YouTube, there's almost no quality control but I choose YouTube over Vimeo because, when browsing videos on YouTube, loading videos is much faster than Vimeo. I don't know why, but correct me if I say anything wrong because these are all my opinions and no programming theory to back it up; 1.YouTube "decodes" videos better, faster equals faster video streaming 2. YouTube's platform is much better. 3. YouTube has more servers.
    I don't know if any of I said made sense. I really don't know how to put my thoughts exactly in to words.
    I used to be a subscriber of supersurf unlimited Internet plan until it was obsolete, and personal experience, YouTube loads video fast and video streaming is a breeze (whether using Chrome or the YouTube app) while Vimeo is slow, waiting time is long either on chrome or their Vimeo app.
    Currently, I'm under iphone plan, just the same. Vimeo is still slow to load videos when streaming and YouTube never fails to be smooth sailing.

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

For audio, I use my Zoom H1 and/or H4n, which I've had for at least 5 years. The H5 and H6 are steps up, but much depend on your actual needs. I want (but no need yet) the Zoom H2n for its ability to record 360 audio! So if you pair that with a 360-degree video, the audio will "spin" with the video.

Yeah, YouTube has more resources, so generally better streaming performance, especially for the "third world viewers", with pricey-but-slow Internet. Plus, YT and FB are more progressive, being the first to support advanced formats such as 360, virtual reality, live channels, etc. Like you said, Vimeo seems preferred for artistic portfolios.

Are there big Pinoy YouTubers who aren't celebrities or media channels?

7. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

Helllo, this is Stampy, and welcome to another minecraft video. - hear this all the time at home. my son wanted to start a channel similar to Evantube. I was kinda concerned of security of having my kid and our community shown so I didn't encourage it (of course, thi presupposes that people will actually watch it) hehe

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^I think my son had similar aspirations. I did not discourage him. I only asked him how he was going to rise above the noise.

He is only a freshman in high school now, but he is already his school's video editor. I didn't teach him. He knows that I use FCP X, so he learned it, and Adobe Premiere too on his own.

Live and let live. :)

Kiko likes this.
  9. raffie

raffie New Member

Hello guys :) what would you recommend for beauty makeup blog? I am torn between the panasonic g7 and canon 80d? And also would you know a shop local or international in which i could score a deal? Thanks!

10. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

Check out the Sony Handycam CX405. It's very inexpensive and can shoot for long hours straight. It's what I use for my indoor videos.