WIFI router.. what to recommend? (merged)

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by rockinrobin, Sep 2, 2007.

1. zChris

zChris Active Member

I have not bought from them but I met a company called Wireless Link for work. They are a local Ubiquiti reseller. They seem to know what they are talking about and have certified staff, etc.

Prices, as mentioned further up in the thread, are more expensive here than buying from Amazon.

SE20 likes this.
  2. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Do I need to start a new thread on my question?

I have new Globe Fiber installed. Will this make my Apple Airport Extreme, AirPort Express useless?

Thanks. I dont know how to hook them up since Huawei Modem uses only fiber then wan out. Huawei wont allow other devices to join it. Hope one can help. Am willing to pay also if one can help setup my home network .

3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

What's the speed of your Globe Fiber?

I recently upgraded my internet speed from 50mbps to 200mbps (I was still using an old plan, so the recontract only costs me an additional S$2/month)

Initially I thought my 4 year old router can only handle 100mbps... After some research, I replaced my lan cable with a Cat 7... And now I'm getting 200mbps on my Airport Extreme. :)

4. zChris

zChris Active Member

As far as I can remember, AirPort Extreme has 1 Gbps ports so you won’t have an issue, at least in the WAN side.

Download this app called “SweetSpots” and check what speed you are getting to each device. Make sure you use a reasonably recent device, ie, 2016 or newer. If the speed you get is slower than your fiber subscription, you will not be able to maximize the speed of your subscription unless you go wired.

I’m booking up your Apple Wi-Fi equipment to the Globe modem, there has to be more than just one port. Easiest (but not most optimized) way is to just plug in the wan port of your Extreme to the port of the Globe modem. On Airport Utility, set internet connection to DHCP and see if you get internet. If you do, then it works. You will be running what is called “double NAT” in this case, which is kind of frowned upon by network experts, but it will work fine.

Connect the Express as usual. If you extend your network using the Express wirelessly, you will be connecting your Wi-Fi extension using an older, slower standard. But it should work. Again, depends on the speed of your fiber connection. Think of these “hops” in connectivity as a search for a bottleneck. If anything other than your fiber connection is the bottleneck, then you may want to buy new equipment to maximize your connection.

5. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I subscribed to 50mbps. Thanks

6. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Thank you. So basically i need to hook up the Extreme first then all other expresses to join extreme? Will try this tonight. Will update you guys. Thanks so much and Philmug. Nice to be back.

7. zChris

zChris Active Member

Not necessarily. If you had an older broadband connection and have the Expresses already connected to the Extreme, then its just a matter of migrating your Extreme from the old connection to the new connection physically and in configuration. Nothing else to do with the Expresses.

If you are setting the network up from scratch, then one would typically begin by giving the router internet, so yes, starting with the Extreme and connecting the rest.

Since you are doing the job anyway, I would suggest using Cat 6 cable at least (or worst case, Cat5e). Remember, wired is always better than wireless so connect devices such as the Expresses to the Extreme wired if you can. There are a lot of new products out there today like Eero or Ubiquiti Amplifi that extend wireless networks around a house, like the AirPort Extreme and Express deployment model. Remember that the Apple solution was built with older tech so just because they seem to be deployed the same way, performance will be totally different.

Once you have it setup and your bottleneck is your 50 mbps subscription (not any of your LAN links), then you’re good to go, at least given the equipment you are working with).

ijingo likes this.
  8. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Ok so I tried resetting the Extreme and hooked it up via wan cable rj45 from provided router of Globe Fiber. But cant join because the router setup says does not allow. What do I do?

Please note that i hooked the Extreme as a new device and maybe join the expresses later. But cant get thru extreme-router link.

9. zChris

zChris Active Member

Please share pics of the Globe router with the ports showing, the screens on Airport Utility for internet settings, and the screen showing that it does not allow.

10. manager

manager Active Member

Hi guys. Sorry noob question:

I'm on PLDT DSL and using the modem's wifi function.

I have a dead spot and bought another router to cover it. I've run a cable from the modem to it. Should I set it up as another router [thru WAN] or as an access point [thru LAN]?

TIA

11. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

The 2nd option would be the standard way to do it.

manager likes this.
  12. manager

manager Active Member

Ok done.

Can both routers have the same SSID and password?

Update: Set same SSID and PW and works like a charm. Thanks for the help!

#1112 manager, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  13. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

Definitely. If wireless clients will be connecting to the same LAN, it's best to have a common SSID, authentication type and pass code to allow for seamless WiFi access throughout your home or office.

14. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

I have been using google wifi, set of three, replacing my airport extreme and expresses.
    So far the google wifis are way better.
    We are on sky’s 50mbps, and the speed is constant everywhere in our house ( 48mbps ).

ramil likes this.
  15. ramil

ramil Active Member

I am also thinking of replacing my Airport Extreme + Airport Express set-up. Choosing among the many options - Amplifi, Plume WiFi, Google WiFi, Netgear Orbi, etc. What made you go for Google WiFi? Where did you purchase? Thanks.

16. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

You might find this useful: Wi-Fi System Roundup

manager likes this.
  17. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

i asked a friend living in the states to buy it for me.
    i chose google wifi because of the price and the reviews. plus i am not geeky so simple configuration needed is ok

#1117 potpot2, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017