WIFI router.. what to recommend? (merged)

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by rockinrobin, Sep 2, 2007.

1. King

King Active Member

2. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

3. King

King Active Member

I talked to a distributor of wifi routers and they told me that since the ISPs are bundling "modems" with built-in wifi routers they see a slowing of sales of dedicated wifi router so little incentive to import.

YOu might be better off importing it yourself.

Alternatively you can buy a Ubiquity wired router + wifi access point. they're sold seperately but cost similarly to the Synology.

potpot2 likes this.
  4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry if this has been answered earlier...

Please recommend a router powerful enough to reach the 1st floor if it's located on the 5th floor of a building...

Our unit is presently on the 5th floor (facing amenities) and I would love to have WiFi connection near the pool :)

5. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

There's no chance of that happening. However, if your unit has a window directly above the pool, then you can somehow fashion a sector or a directional antenna and point it at the pool area. It is technically illegal, though.

6. ice

thanks...

Will try to look for "long range" WiFi routers online...

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

Is your wifi near your window/terrace facing the pool? If so, you can place the antenna outside (while keeping the router inside). I did this on our unit on the 17th flr facing the amenities area and I can get a decent wifi signal (2-bars). That was a long time ago though (wifi was not as prevalent so less interference).

potpot2 likes this.
  8. ice

Yes, balcony is facing the amenities...

Is your set-up still working?

I was thinking of using a "long range WiFi extender" which I can easily turn off when not in use.

Did a quick Google Search and I found possible "extenders" from Chinese sellers...

9. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure anymore. There are extenders from TP-link that can do the job reliably to add. I'm guessing your wifi is not near the balcony? Amazon is selling some for just $25-50 (depending on the wifi tech).

potpot2 likes this.
  10. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] Router.jpg

Choosing between the 2 TP Link routers above (C59 & C20). I don't know much about routers, & just want to ask if dbi means signal strength, & dbm means signal reach? I'm just confused that the C59 would have a stronger antenna (3 x 5dbi), but it says that the Transmit Power is lower at 17 dbm compared to 23 dbm of the C20. So does it mean that the reach of C59 is shorter?

#1070 bugs, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  11. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

I used to have a TP-Link Archer C7 but Internet speed drops. When I ping the router, the ping is not consistent and there are occasional delays. When I googled the problem, it seems that other Archer C7 users also experience the same issues.

So my recommendation is try the other models but avoid the Archer C7.

12. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

I ended up getting an Asus RT-AC88U a few weeks ago, but thanks! Hopefully others will find your advice useful.

13. dr_prbc

dr_prbc Member

Hi guys! I'm not sure if it's the right thread to post this question but since I think it's related to our router (or our modem, i don't know)

anyways, here goes. So i'm currently on PLDT DSL (i think subscribed to 5mpbs bundled to our landline) with the following router and modem

the linksys ea6300 as router and the zyxel p-600 series (c/o PLDT) as seen below)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now. for the rest of the day, things are stable, meaning, relatively good connection (we can surf the net with all the devices etc) however, every night, usually around 7-8 pm, things start to slow down, even to the point that we really get disconnected (meaning on the modem, the light that says dsl which is usually on, will go off then will try to reconnect a lot of times) this continues on over the rest of the night. Sometimes what i do is to unplug the modem and router and turn it back on which sometimes help but then it will slow down again.

at first, i thought maybe it's just the time(peak time etc etc), but after a few days of observation, i noted that this only happens when my brother plays the ps4. so now i'm either blaming the router for not able to handle the number of gadgets connected to the wifi (the linksys page at that time said 14 devices connected, and yes these are all ours) or the ps4 for some reason i cannot determine.

Would anybody share their thoughts on this It's really getting on our nerves since the internet slows down everytime everyone in our house is at home and is doing something over the net. if we have to buy a router then what would be the best for us to buy or do i just have to tweak some settings? Thank you for the big big help!

14. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

Having a slow connection is one thing, having the DSL disconnect frequently is another.

With just 5mbps, PS4s are notorious for sucking all available bandwidth, whether it be game downloads or updates. It is normal to feel the slow down whenever the Ps4 is running.

As for the DSL disconnection, this is usually caused by noise in your phone line. This can further be broken down to be caused by a faulty DSL filter, modem, or simply having a "dirty" line. If you try to login into the DSL modem, you should be able to see the current connection speed and CRC errors. The CRC errors ideally should remain zero, but if it increments every few seconds, then the line is bad. For these problems, only pldt can help you. You can try replacing the dsl filter on your own and see if it helps, tho.

15. dr_prbc

dr_prbc Member

Thank you so much for the input. Yeah, I can actually see the slow internet connection from the PS4, however there are times that even if the PS4 is off (as in totally turned off), internet is still at an all time low during the said times. (only to be exacerbated when my brother turns on the console)

So i'll have to check the modem then, just a question, do routers have a number of gadgets that can connect before really slowing down? my dad's considering that we get a router that can accomodate a large number of gadgets (we have a total of 10+++). is it a good idea? thanks a lot again!

16. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

With PLDT DSL, you only have a maximum of 1mbps upstream bandwidth. If anyone at home is uploading pictures or videos on FB, Youtube, or if your iOS devices just happens to start its iCloud backup, that will easily use up the upstream bandwidth. When that happens, even when there's relatively low downstream utilization, your web/http/https requests can't get out to fetch the page. This will be perceived as the internet being non-responsive, even when downstream utilization is still way below your plan limit.

We have about 50 devices at home, 80-90% are wireless devices. I have opted to separate the WiFi and router functions to have the best scalability. My router is a tiny server (HP Microserver) running pfSense. I have 4 access points, all from Ubiquiti.... 1x UAP-AC-PRO and 3x UAP-AC-LR.

I know, this is overkill in your situation. But I'm just giving you a feel of what extent a home network can become if you everyone has 3-4 devices, several Rokus, smart TVs, WiFi CCTV, IP telephony, etc.

Anyway, to address your issue, most any mid- to high-end wireless routers can handle 20-25 users without issues. Stay away from cheap entry-level ones. You can spread the load on the WiFi spectrum by having 2 or more access points. That's how I started before I lost my mind and got into the Ubiquiti buying spree.

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. dr_prbc

dr_prbc Member

Sir thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Ok, so 50 wireless devices is maybe a bit too much compared to what we have here but I really do get your point. and nowadays, everything is just wireless. So i'll have to reconsider building up everything little by little. the easiest I can do now would be to buy a better router. Now, i've done a bit of research here and there but still i cannot say that i am well versed with the brands, technologies etc. So i'm turning to you guys, now, for a setup such as ours, a lot of devices connected (though not all are bandwidth hungry devices) in your opinion (or maybe experience) what can you recommend (brand and model i suppose) that can be able to carry this much gadgets

as of the moment, i cannot do any ubiquiti, since i am too busy reviewing for the medical board exams to set up a server. so any mid to high end plug and play router would do! thanks a lot!

18. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

I've got to be honest with you. I haven't bought a consumer-grade wireless router in years. Things have changed and specs have definitely improved across the board but I don't know the current models well enough to make a recommendation. Ever since I went pfSense+Ubiquiti, I simply never looked back. I'd wait for the others to respond to your inquiries. But for what it's worth, I've seen some good feedback on Asus units. I suggest you check out online reviews, check it against your budget and local availability.

19. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

I had this problem too, but different setting. my router's on the ground floor then i work at the second floor. since wifi is flaky, i used a powerline adaptor, you can use a powerline adaptor with wifi if you want.

you may want to take a look at this:

https://www.lazada.com.ph/tp-link-t...html?spm=a2o4l.search.0.0.9M7fOu&ff=1&boost=2

you are like connecting the these 2 device via wire through power lines in your house, then the output is a wifi access point too.

hope this helps!

20. dr_prbc

dr_prbc Member

Noted sir! i'll take a look at reviews regarding routers then. but thanks a lot for enlightening me on ubiquiti, maybe if i'm a little less busy, I may research a bit on that. but for now, a new router will do I guess. again, thank you so much!