WIFI router.. what to recommend? (merged)

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by rockinrobin, Sep 2, 2007.

1. jessec

jessec Member

i am using an apple extreme base as my main router and two Apple express connected wirelessly as expander, Getting full internet speed from my Main router but only 30% speed from the two expander, our house has concrete walls, Will I get any benefit from a mesh system? Tia

2. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah - true story - when I had a Linksys router, after a couple of episodes the call center support guy and I became like old buddies. I even persuaded him to talk to me in Tagalog as he seemed to be able to give better directions that way. "Kumusta sir! May problem na naman router mo?"

3. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

I suggest an access point but you need to connect an ethernet cable from the router to your access point. If you have an old wifi router and you can make it as a bridge mode. The consumer wireless mesh is not yet tested in Philippines concrete homes.

jessec likes this.
  4. jessec

jessec Member

^Thanks @macfrancis, I tried changing the placement of my apple express expander and got a better speed 60%. Satisfied for the mean time, will try cabling as access point in the future.

5. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

hello everyone! can you recommend a wifi router for me to be able to utilize my PLDT Home DSL 3mps data plan? Im only getting an actual DL reading of 250-350KBps but when i check it on speedtest, it DL reads at 2.5Mbps? sorry, not an IT guys so i really don't know if i do have any technical concerns. will appreciate any corrections on my initial understanding. thanks in advance.

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

That download speed is correct. You're just confusing kiloBytes per second with kilobits per second. These are usually abbreviated to kB/s and kbps, respectively.... The capital 'B' signifying Bytes.

Your internet connection speed is measured in megabits per second (mbps), while your browser or file transfer utility is showing the download progress in kiloBytes per second (kB/s).

1 Byte = 8 bits

So to get mbps from kB/s, just simply multiply kB by 8. Hence, 350 kB/s = 2.8 mbps. You're not getting the full 3 mbps in file throughput due to network protocol overhead, but for all intents and purposes, you're getting the whole 3 mbps.

7. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

It looks like the CIA can gain access to AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule. The project "HarpyEagle" is entirely dedicated to "gain root access on an Apple Airport Extreme and Time Capsule via local and/or remote means to install a persistent rootkit into the flash storage of the devices."

This just goes to show that no router is ever secure. At this point it's silly to think any other manufacturers are safe from tampering.

8. fcdiesta

fcdiesta Well-Known Member

I'm really intrigued by Asus' latest budget router, the RT-AC58U (I think it's RT-ACRH13 in the US). It retails for about US$70.
    [​IMG]
    For that, you get AC1300 (400+867 Mbps), 4x5dBi antennas, MU-MIMO, dual-band, Gigabit ethernet, guest networking (up to 6 guest networks), remote monitoring (via browser or the Asus Router app), 1xUSB 3 port, and has a quad-core processor. However, since it's not Broadcom-based, I don't think you can use custom firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc.) on it. It's getting great reviews online, also on Amazon US. Only drawbacks I can see are the single USB port and the fact that you can't use custom firmware on it. Plus the Asus hacking vulnerability that has already been patched up reportedly.

I'm currently using an Asus N-router and thinking of upgrading to this. I love the fact that this Asus router never gave me any problems, unlike my previous experiences with Linksys and D-Link. Also, their GUI is one of the best I've tried.

Have any of you guys tried the AC58U yet?

#1048 fcdiesta, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    potpot2 likes this.
  9. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

^ Haven't tried it yet but based on specs vs the price, I say go for it. MU-MIMO will be future-proof I guess.

Quad-core processor was probably needed for the MU-MIMO feature. Just remember that routers normally use passive cooling. So the more cores, the more heat of course.

If you look at my RT-AC68U, temp right now is at 89C. And this is only a Dual-core router. If I turn on the mini USB fan connected to it, it drops the temp about 10 degrees.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

fcdiesta likes this.
  10. King

King Active Member

Unsurpising when Apple has exited the router market.

Best thing to do is buy new routers every few years that is supported by the manufactuer/

greta87 likes this.
  11. bowman60

bowman60 Member

Good call on the usb fan! Barely 5 mins on and temps dropped significantly. CPU temp actually started out in the mid 80s!!!

IMG_2245.jpg

pepspeps likes this.
  12. fcdiesta

So if I use the AC58U's lone USB port for a USB fan to cool the router, I won't be able to use the port for anything else. Can use a USB hub on that port? Highly doubtful, I guess...

13. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

That I'm not sure since I don't use my router's USB port at all.

But I read somewhere that Asus already supported USB 2.0 hubs on their latest routers sometime around 2014. YMMV

fcdiesta likes this.
  14. oj88

Use an extra USB charger to power the fan externally and problem solved. It's never a good idea to overload the router's USB port.

fcdiesta likes this.
  15. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Guys, can anybody recommend a 4G router? The ones that we can put a simcard in as the source of internet? Planning to put one in our cafe to avoid hardwiring DSL lines.

16. fcdiesta

Finally bit the bullet and bought one. Just a caveat for those thinking about this model (Asus AC58U), you can't install the USB application "Download Master" (a standalone Asus plugin for downloading torrent and NBZ files to a USB connected hard disk, no PC or NAS required) on it. Funny thing is that it's included in the online User Manual but not on the unit itself, even if you plug-in a hard drive. Maybe Asus will update it with a firmware upgrade in the future but I'm not holding my breath for that. I personally don't use it so it's not a biggie for me. But it may be a dealbreaker for some...

17. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Anyone here have any experience with TP-Link routers? Thinking about getting this model since it's available locally.

18. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

I've been using a TP-link router (AC1750) at my house for 3 years now, and another TP-link router on our cafe for 1yr+ already, so far so good. I use the AC1750 to stream HD movies from my NAS to TV, no problems so far. :)

19. ramil

ramil Active Member

I am using TP Link M7350 as my 4G router. I've been using it for the past 1.5 years.

porkypork likes this.
  20. oj88

I have three TP-Link routers (already decommissioned) from almost a decade ago.... Two 642G's and one 4300. All three are still working except that some of the LEDs on one of the 642G have burnt out.

As with the majority of consumer-grade Router+AP's, they're quite ok if you only have fewer than a dozen WiFi users connected concurrently. But if you go beyond that. the performance drops and sometimes they crash or stop forwarding data (even with full signal bars) which incidentally may require a power cycle to recover. But again, these are old boxes.