What cloud services do you use?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by rbenzon, Apr 20, 2012.

1. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

google photos for back up of even not important shots,
    still Dropbox for everything important, and fast sync with desktop app.

anyone still don’t have dropbox, try grab your own dropbox now, try use my link for additional space for us both

2. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

I use iCloud Drive for all work-related files and documents. I signed-up for a 50GB subscription and use just about 10GB. I like its integration with macOS and iOS. Thru iCloud Drive, I keep my work files synchronized between two Macs, and can conveniently access those files on my iPhone when I'm mobile.

I've also got OneDrive, which comes bundled with my Office 365 subscription; but I only use it to synchronize my OneNote notebooks between my Mac and iPhone. It's my wife that uses OneDrive more.

Some may ask "Why not use Dropbox when it can do the same thing?" Simple: Dropbox is blocked in China. There are local cloud storage services here that provide even faster upload/download than iCloud Drive, such as Baidu Cloud, 360, etc.--but I simply don't trust them as much as I trust Apple and Microsoft when it comes to security and privacy.

3. putakti

putakti Active Member

I'm using Amazon services especially Prime Photos. It is like $60 per year with unlimited space.

macjobber likes this.
  4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

5. rvaph

rvaph Member

I use OneDrive for my school work and personal stuff, and DropBox for my work.

6. Technobilder

Technobilder Member

I only use Crashplan from Code42 for my Backup - even they changed policy and you now can only use their Small Business that costs 10$/month.
    But its still the best online cloud backup service as it offers true unlimited backup space (I use 4TB now) AND is the only one allowing to backup also a NAS attached.

7. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

BackBlaze also offers unlimited backup plus any external storage attached to the machine.

If you have to pick a single cloud storage service (icloud drive, dropbox, google drive, box, MS OneDrive, etc) that you would be willing to pay for, which would you pick and why?

8. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

I am subscribed to the 200gb iCloud storage for the whole family, because everyone in the household uses an iPhone, iPad, and a Mac. So far, 73gb available storage is left. I also have the onedrive 1tb that comes with my office 365 subscription, mainly used by my wife for her doctorate school staff. I use Google drive for my Notability app backup storage.

lamski likes this.
  9. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

I have a 2TB iCloud Drive subscription which I share with the wife and son via Family Sharing. Perfect integration with all our devices since we all use iPhones, MacBooks, iPads, and iPods. Heck, I also get to sync my Windoze laptop for work.

That way I have all my files, photos, music with me at any given time.

lamski likes this.
  10. ramil

ramil Active Member

I’m planning to upgrade my iCloud storage to 200GB, and share it with my family. I have a US account (primarily for iTunes AppStore) and use ITunes GC to add credits. When I tried activating Family Sharing, it asks me to put in a credit card as payment method. I don’t have a US credit card.

My questions are:
    1. For those who upgraded to a bigger iCloud storage, are you using US or PH account?
    2. Is it possible to use different accounts for iCloud and iTunes AppStore (e.g., PH in iCloud and US in iTunes AppStore)?
    3. Are there PH credit cards that can be used as a US credit card?
    Thanks.

11. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

You could try setting up a virtual credit card with a US address e.g. https://www.usunlocked.com/

Ghibli likes this.
  12. Ghibli

Ghibli Member

This is interesting. I may use this in the future. Thank you.

13. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

1. Google Drive - mainly for work
    2. 200 GB iCloud - for my 256GB iPhone and son's 128gb iPad. Wife has separate 200GB for her.
    3. Amazon Drive - unlimited for photos, 5GB for videos

Sunil_K likes this.
  14. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Smugmug - unlimited storage for photos and videos. Been a user for years and already crossed 1TB used up
    Evernote
    iCloud
    Dropbox -though might kill it to just focus on iCloud
    Spotify