watchOS 4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by denpacs, Sep 20, 2017.

1. denpacs

denpacs Active Member

Apple’s latest OS for the Apple Watch (watchOS4) is now available for download.

Ditch the app grid
    [​IMG]
    Instead of using a grid of app icons, to launch apps on your watch, there's a new list view. Switch to the list view with a hard-press on your watch's app screen, then select List View.

The list is alphabetical, with no way to rearrange it. To switch back to the grid view, repeat the same process.

Switch up the Dock
    [​IMG]
    Press the bottom button to open the new app dock. Instead of scrolling from left to right, starting with WatchOS 4 app previews are stacked vertically.

Use the Digital Crown to scroll through the list, and tap on an app to open it. By default, the dock shows your most recently used apps. However, in the Watch app on your iPhone, you can change it to show your favorite apps first, followed by recents.

Open the Watch app, select Dock > Favorites. A list of apps then will display below, where you can then set your favorite apps in your preferred order.

New watch faces
    [​IMG]

There are a few new watch faces in WatchOS 4, ranging from a psychedelic kaleidoscope to "Toy Story" characters to Siri's own dedicated face.

Using the Siri watch face you'll find a list of cards, each one displaying information about your day, be it the weather forecast, news updates, photos from a recent trip or your calendar and reminders.

Auto-pause running workouts
    [​IMG]
    With a quick flip of a switch, your Apple Watch will begin to auto-pause when it detects you're no longer moving when in a running workout.

Open the Watch app on your iPhone then go to Workout and enable Running Auto Pause.

A lot more activity alerts
    [​IMG]
    Be prepared for your watch to constantly encourage and nag you to be more active. If you fall behind a previous day's activity, your watch will let you know and suggest getting up to go for walk. Likewise, if it's near the end of the day and you still need to close a ring, your watch will suggest the exact amount of time you need to walk or run to achieve it.

If it gets to be too much, you can turn off alert types in the Watch app in the Activity option.

Apple Music on steroids
    [​IMG]
    Apple recently announced Apple Watch users will gain the ability to stream Apple Music through the watch after a future update, but there are new features available with WatchOS 4.

Primarily, indicating which music you want to sync to your watch is now a lot easier. Open the Watch app and select the Music option.

Apple Music subscribers will have the option to automatically have your customized playlists synced to your watch as they are updated. You can also set your personal playlists or artists to sync to the watch as you charge it each night.

Heart rate alerts
    [​IMG]
    Apple really wants you to know how healthy your heart is. With WatchOS 4, the heart rate app on your watch is revamped, and there's a new option to be alerted if you have a high heart rate when resting.

In the Watch app on your iPhone open the Heart Rate app then set your Elevated Heart Rate notification threshold.

Flashlight
    [​IMG]
    Sure, our iPhones have a super bright flash that doubles as a flashlight in a pinch, but the display on the Apple Watch can also step in when it has to. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to view the quick toggles and you'll find a new flashlight icon. Tap it to enable flashlight mode, which includes a bright white setting, an alternating option and a bright red screen. It's not the best, but it works!

Source: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/new-features-in-watchos-4-you-need-to-know-about/

#1 denpacs, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Not appearing on my Software Update yet! Wonder why.

3. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

It's taking so much longer to download the 500mb watchOS 4 update than the 2GB iOS 11 one.

4. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Ok I figured out why watchOS 4 is not showing up... I have to update my iPhone to iOS 11 first.

5. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Sheeesh. It's taking forever to download to firmware update. At 500Mbps of internet speed. It's still 50 minutes remaining.

6. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

I tried to download earlier but it's going to take 11 days to download so I stopped it :)

jillsingian likes this.
  7. speeds

speeds Member

New watch faces on watchOS4

jillsingian likes this.
  8. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

Has anyone noticed a battery drain issue? Mine was charging but when I took it out, it dropped from 100% to 99.. then when I charged it again, it went even further down to 98.

9. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

Its normal. After the update I have 66% left even on charger, after an hours its down to 44%. The processor and network activity is to blame as apps are updating and music are being downloaded/synced. Give it a day to normalize.

10. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

This was two days after the update. I'm also connected to stable wifi the whole day, except when going to and coming from work. This particular scenario hasn't happened again but I can't say that battery has improved overall since then. :(

11. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Also noticing a faster drain in battery. Hope that it'll normalize. I updated last week.

12. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

If all else fails, guys. Try to re-pair your watch. AFAIK WatchOS 4 doesn't really bring in battery improvements, quite the opposite. But it SHOULDN'T drain alarmingly fast.

h2obaby likes this.
  13. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Member

Hi! My download of watchOS4 started out fine but at some point during the night it paused itself. It says i can resume the download when I am connected to wifi, but I AM connected to wifi, and was even able to download the iOS 11 update.

Has anyone had this problem? Do we have a fix? Thanks!

14. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

According to this Apple Support article: Update your Apple Watch, your Apple Watch has to be at least 50% charged. What's your battery level?

15. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

Thanks! I'll try this.

16. macsurge730

macsurge730 Well-Known Member

Loving the ToyStory Watch Face

SE20 likes this.
  17. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

after updating to watchOS4 Mickey and Minnie won't speak anymore. LOL

18. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

Seems like apple is really faltering!
    One little miss after another.
    And all these little misses are piling up.

19. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

reset 5x then it speaks again LOL took me the whole day to fix this. haha.

potpot2 likes this.
  20. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Member

36D4860D-5C9C-402C-A0A8-FC3001967CAE.png
    It’s already fully charged and still on the charger, as I am not supposed to take it away from the charger while it’s updating.

I tried again last night and I experienced the same problem. I wonder what’s causing this and what the fix is. I have been searching online for days but I seem to be the only one with this problem.