watchOS 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by denpacs, Sep 14, 2016.

1. denpacs

denpacs Active Member

Aside from the release of iOS 10, watchOS 3 is also here to introduce some new features.
    So what's new in watchOS 3?
    Here are some of the great new feature of this update. (Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138802-apple-watch-major-software-update-what-s-new-in-watchos-3)

Dock:
    The Apple Watch's side button, which in WatchOS 2 would surface a list of contacts when pressed, now brings up a dedicated Dock that has been designed to surface your favourite apps and recently used apps. Favourites in the new Dock are kept in Apple Watch's memory and can open seven-times faster than a standard Apple Watch app. Also, the new Dock is customisable and supports up to 10 apps. It's replacing the old Glances view, too, which you previously had to swipe up on a watch face to access (if you do that gesture now, you'll see a new Control Center). Because it's replacing Glances, it is used a lot like Glances. So, when swiping left and right through apps, you'll see full information from an app without actually having to launch it.

Faces: There are three new watch faces in watchOS 3: Minnie Mouse (similar to Mickey Mouse face, except the dress is customisable to match Apple Watch bands), Activity (shows a larger view of your daily activity rings at a glance and can be set to an analog clock, a digital clock, or a chronograph), and Numerals (displays a single number with watch hands; the number changes and rotates as time passes). Also, with WatchOS 3, you have to swipe left or right on a face to swap between watch faces.

SOS: A new SOS feature, which is activated by holding down the side button on the Apple Watch for three seconds, will auto-call emergency services over Wi-Fi or an iPhone connection. It works everywhere in the world, detects your location, and calls the relevant number for you. Once the emergency call has been placed, Apple Watch will notify your emergency contacts with a map of your location. It also supports Medical ID.

Activity Sharing: A new Activity Sharing feature lets friends and family share their activity and workout information with each other. You can access it by swiping right on the Activity rings view of the Activity app. In this view, you'll see the activity rings of selected friends, and you can sort by metrics like steps, exercise minutes, and workouts. You'll also see built-in messaging options.

Workouts: Developers can now make their third-party workout apps run in the background of Apple Watch. That means, with just the raise of a wrist, you can see real-time workout metrics from these apps. Developers will also have access to the heart-rate sensor and gyroscope. Furthermore, Apple said that Apple Watch can now detect when a runner stops and pauses the workout until running resumes. There's also a new option for naming "Other" workouts not listed in the app. And finally, if you press the Digital Crown and the side button during a workout, Apple Watch will pause a workout. To end a workout, swipe right (instead of using force touch).

Complications: Apple said complications can now be added to watch faces that didn't support them in watchOS 2, such as Photo, Timelapse, Motion, and Extra Large, and there are new complications available through new built-in apps, including Breathe and Reminders, which can be added to any watch face that supports complications. Some existing watch faces can also now display more complications at one time.

Breathe app: An all-new app called Breathe is available for Apple Watch. It guides you through deep breathing techniques. According to Apple, Breathe can help Apple Watch wearers incorporate meditation and breathing exercises into their daily routines. Breathing exercises can be done for one to five minutes. Apple Watch also also offers "Breathe" reminders, like stand reminders.

Home app: With iOS 10 for iPhone, Apple has given iOS users a new Home app for controlling all their HomeKit-enabled devices. There's also a Home app for Apple Watch, with quick-access controls for doing things like turning lights on/off or adjusting the thermostat.

Reminders app: Apple Watch now has a Reminder app for to-do lists. It works just like the app for iPhone.

Find My Friends app: Apple Watch now has a Find My Friends app for locating friends and family. It works just like the app for iPhone.

Heart Rate app: A new Heart Rate app on the Apple Watch replaces Heart Rate Glance (because Glances has been replaced by the Dock).

Find My Apple Watch: You can now get the location of your Apple Watch using the Find My iPhone app.

Siri: Siri has a new interface. Also, you'll feel a haptic tap when Siri has stopped listening, and Siri now lets you know when she is looking up information by saying "Hang on..." or "Hold on...".

Wheelchair setting:
    A new Wheelchair setting customises activity options for wheelchair users. This allows Apple Watch to accurately add wheelchair pushes to all-day calorie goals. There are also wheelchair workouts, and the "time to stand" reminder is called "time to roll".

Continuity: Apple Watch can now be used to unlock a password-protected Mac, thanks to new Continuity functionality. Unlocking is done through proximity, meaning a Mac owner just needs to be near their watch for the feature to work.

Scribble: The Messages app now includes a Scribble feature that lets you write replies on the Apple Watch face using your finger.

Face Gallery: The Face Gallery in the Apple Watch app for iPhone makes it easier to customise watch faces with colours and complications.

Apple Pay: Apple Pay is now available within apps on Apple Watch, allowing you to make in-app purchases directly on your watch. Developers can also build Apple Pay into their watch apps.

Digital zooming: You can now use the Digital Crown to control the iPhone's digital zooming capabilities.

Disable screenshots: In order to disable screenshots, press the the Digital Crown and Side Button at the same time.

Notifications: When you dismiss a notification now, you'll go back to the watch face instead of the Notification Center.

So far, what's your favorite new feature of your Apple Watch? :)

Attached Files:

Flex Villa and shootertwist like this.
  2. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

Is it me or there hasn't been really a discussion on this? I searched and found none so...

Anybody already successfully installed iOS 3 on their Apple Watch? I'm still downloading with an hour to go and I'm kinda nervous if this install goes south like what happened early this morning to my iPhone 6S for iOS 10

And no matter how much I'm already used to the crappy internet connection we have here, it's always this time of the year when my patience is stretched to the limit. Ambagaaaaalllll!!! (n):mad:

3. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Haha actually @denpacs just beat you to it.

Merging both watchOS 3 threads.

Sunil_K and mongkee like this.
  4. Flex Villa

Flex Villa Member

Took mine 46 minutes to download the update and then another hour to install. Missed two Stand hours already lol

Sunil_K likes this.
  5. abielbad

abielbad Member

Mine is taking around 2 hours to download.... Would probably take the whole afternoon for the update.

6. mongkee

Mine starts from scratch over and over due to my poor connection. Looks like I'll get this done late tonight. To those who've gotten through, how's the overall experience? Is it really much faster as advertised?

7. shootertwist

shootertwist Well-Known Member

our connection is fast here in the office but for some reason its slow to download the watch update

8. karlopb

karlopb Member

I'll try to update tonight, been wanting some of new Apple release faces.

9. abielbad

abielbad Member

Done finally. Around 2 hours download (also in my office), and around 1 hour update.

10. denpacs

denpacs Active Member

watchOS 3 has been quite great for me. I can say it's quite faster for me due to the Dock implementation.
    Some 3rd party apps also loads faster when compared to the previous OS.
    Overall, I'm satisfied with the new features in this update. :)

mongkee likes this.
  11. mongkee

Updated and so far the only new feature I've been fiddling since this morning is Minnie Mouse telling me the time then her malandi giggling after :LOL:

Flex Villa likes this.
  12. abielbad

abielbad Member

Like'd the scribble feature.

Flex Villa likes this.
  13. shootertwist

^same here bro, really useful, i was on the train earlier and coudnt pull out my iphone and replied to 5-6 messages all using the scribble feature, its very accurate and handy, props to apple for having this feature. Also love the added complications and the new watchfaces, the apple watch feels like a new device again... but cant wait for series 2 :)

update: viber just had an update for ios10 and also incorporates the scribble feature :)

#13 shootertwist, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    den1224 and Flex Villa like this.
  14. Flex Villa

Flex Villa Member

Yep. They had me with Scribble :)

15. ignudi

ignudi Member

hi!
    i've updated my watch to watchOS 3. i can't seem to get minnie to speak the time? how do you do it?

16. mongkee

Just tap the watch face while Minnie/Mickey is on-screen. Check also you might have Silent Mode on your AW turned on

17. ignudi

ignudi Member

silent mode is turned off. tap to speak is turned on. yet minnie and mickey won't speak the time when tapped. does this feature need always-on internet connection in order to work?

18. mongkee

Just now, I disconnected my AW from my iPhone (turned off BT) and Minnie still talks so looks like it doesn't need internet connection at all. Sorry, but I'm stumped... I do hope yours is not a hardware problem like a defective AW speaker or something

Perhaps other folks here have some clue what's going on with your AW and Minnie's refusal to speak

19. shootertwist

Just tapping on minnie/mickey makes them speak the time on my apple watch

20. denpacs

denpacs Active Member

Did you check in the Apple Watch App from your iPhone? Click the Mickey/Minnie Mouse watch face from your 'My Faces', and from there you must have an option to enable/disable "Tap to Speak Time". :)