Warning for those who will buy Apple products in Greenhills

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by omarsytan, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Please stay on topic. This thread is about Apple products in Greenhills, not cameras. Thank you.

2. gonefishing8

gonefishing8 Member

Good to a service center and have it check there

3. camillelala

camillelala New Member

I see. I had it checked on the apple self solve web. Bought it last march 14, and activated march 20, however, estimated warranty date is march 11,2015... could it be resealed?

4. mykc

mykc Member

About those tiangge shops in greenhills, 2 years ago I was looking to get an iphone 5. Most of the units are "sealed" but not factory sealed, so I insisted to check the phone and accessories first before I can decide, so they all agreed to open it first. I noticed that most of the accessories included are class-a. Good thing I did some research first before going there. After that experience, never came back since.

5. gonefishing8

gonefishing8 Member

Obviously it's not brand new since they allowed you to check the phone first without guaranty than you'll buy it, even on APRs they will not open box not until you bought it.

6. RastaSega

RastaSega Member

buti napadaan ako dito. i was checking OLX and TipidCP for a good used iPhone 5C. Kinabahan tuloy ako lol!

7. Bohica1925

Bohica1925 Member

Thank you for maintaining this thread for the safety of would-be buyers. From the start (iPhone 1), I have always purchased devices from authorized resellers and distributors to avoid authenticity issues. Cheers!

8. Paparapaopao

Paparapaopao New Member

Nireresealed po nila yung mga iphones nila sir. And ito yung sabi saken ng isang muslim dun. Yung box pati yung nakalagay na imei dun ay binibili lang nila. Yung serial number dun piniprint lang po nila. Then yung mga accessories mga class a yun. Walang orig. bumili po kase ako ng 5s dun last year. Then bumalik ako a year after. Balak ko iswap yung 5s ko sa iphone 6. Sabi saken hindi na daw isasama yung box ng iphone 5s ko. So nagulat ako. Then sinabi na saken yung about sa box and accessories. Pero nung binili ko yung 5s ko. Bnew daw. Yung chineck ko yung apple warranty nya. December 2013. Pero nabili ko sya ng april 2014. So activated na sya since dec 2013. Pero nung ginamit ko naman yung 5s ko walang naman naging problema. Ang hindi ko lang po alam kung refurbished po yung mga units nila. Kaya po ngayon. Kinocompare ko yung iphone 6 ko sa iphone 6 na binili talaga sa apple. Ok sana bumili sa greenhills. Kung original lahat ng parts ng iphone. Nangangamba pa po ako sa pagbili. Pero sempre po kase mura mo sya mabibili. Unlike sa mismong apple mahal. Tapos babaratin ka lang diba. Kaya nagdecide ako na sa greenhills ako bumili. Para kahit papano maswap ko pa sa pinagbilan ko ng iphone.

9. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Active Member

you can buy 2nd hand or brandnew phones sa Greenhills as long as meron Apple Warranty locally. best approach is check nyo un plastic sa ng box plus check the serial thru a local Apple Shop there (PowerMac, iStudio or Apple Store). once kasi na-activate un phone, the warranty starts outright; Sahara Telecoms doesn't reseal units.

greta87 likes this.
  10. ronjeremy

ronjeremy Member

Grabe ang galing nila.hehe

11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Can we tone down on the use of "text-speak" per our guidelines on posting in this forum?

at least try to make it understandable, clear and concise because this isn't just any forum but THE PhilMug forum, ok?

greta87 and shootertwist like this.
  12. juzanne

juzanne New Member

Hi!
    Just ask lang po kung anong stall sa Greenhills ang nagtitinda ng Sure Iphone products aside from authorized centers. May nagsabi sa akin na ok nman daw bumili sa greenhills pero nong mabasa ko ang forum na ito, gusto ko muna po makasiguro bago ako pumunta. Thanks po.

13. Cmmig

Cmmig Well-Known Member

Better not buy in Greenhills, it's not worth the risk. In the end you might be paying more for repairs or end up disposing of the phone for a low price because of defects. Specially with a high priced item like the iPhone.

Stick to authorized resellers like Beyond the Box and iStudio which offer 7 day replacement for factory defects and 1 year parts and service warranty.

#173 Cmmig, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  14. juzanne

juzanne New Member

Thank you for the reply kahit po ako doubt pa ding bumili,, si husband lang ang nag iinsist kasi daw mas mura kaysa sa apple center.

15. Cmmig

Cmmig Well-Known Member

One thing more - if you ever decide to dispose of the phone, It'll be easier to resell it if it comes from an authorized reseller.

It's hard to buy in Greenhills unless you really know what to look for (determining if the phone is new, sealed, original, not activated, no defects, etc).

#175 Cmmig, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    juzanne likes this.
  16. juzanne

juzanne New Member

thank you for the information/ ideas that you give to me, and now my time and money is safe. :)

Cmmig likes this.
  17. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^i bought my iPhone 6 at the store near PC Options 3rd Floor on credit for 24 months...10 months later my son uses the iPhone and it's still working fine...we've had no issues so far...the unit was SEALED (not resealed), the serial number is legit, the saleslady is sexy, ahhhrmmm...

so okay, still be cautious buying in GH unless, you know, the after sales support is guaranteed (in which case i wouldn't mind going back there for, guess what)...

kutsaratinidor likes this.
  18. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

The very first time I bought an Apple product from a GH tiangge seller was an iPhone 5. Having just been released a few weeks back, the price I paid was waaaaay above it's SRP but what the hell I was too exited and had money to burn (back then :p)

This was the time when I didn't even know about checking the warranty status online and looking out for other things when buying an iPhone. When the lady handed the box to me, everything seemed legit as it was sealed and everything. Opened the box, installed my SIM, checked if the phone was functioning okay, paid then left. When I got home and had the chance to take a closer look at everything, I was horrified to see a dent on the top edge of the metal band which I knew was not caused by me during the first 2 hours of owning it. Since it was just newly-released I couldn't buy any decent cases yet at that time and just ended up having to cover the exposed silver metal with a pentel pen. I had to "re-touch" that concealment every few days until I bought I case a month or so after. I swear, I wanted to burn down that tiangge stall after that episode

To make a long story short, it was indeed a resealed unit and was passed off as brand new to an impulsive and idiot like me. That was my first and last time to buy any Apple product from a tiangge seller. True that there may still be legit tiangge sellers out there but I'd rather buy from an APR now. I won't have to be bothered with double/triple-checking anything upon purchase and APR's will always be around for after-sales service. And mind you, this was several years ago so whatever tricks they can do then, they have surely become better by now and their tricks may be a lot harder to detect to even the most knowledgeable Apple geeks (yes, that's all of us here in PhilMUG)

Rule of thumb: If you can afford to buy an Apple product, you can definitely afford to pay extra for your own peace of mind. If you can't afford the former but not the latter, hold that purchase and save a little more until you can pay for both.

PS - wondering how much I paid for that iPhone 5? Let's just say that I paid less for my 64GB iPhone 6S+ last November 2015... so you could just imagine my un-imaginable frustration when I got scammed

#178 mongkee, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Cmmig likes this.
  19. Cmmig

Cmmig Well-Known Member

Haha sharing your story reminded when I was looking for a cellphone also in one of the tiangge stalls in Town Center (when Nokias were still the rage). I was looking at a phone that they said was "brand new" but when I took a look at the gallery there were already pics from the previous owner...

20. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

just to clear any possible misconception, the 'greenhills' being referred here are those tiangge type stalls hawking their electronic gadgets (not just Apple branded) and are scattered all over the greenhills shopping complex. There are legitimate and authorized Apple resellers that also hold shop in Greenhills such as BTB/Digital Hub in V-Mall, iStudio in Virra Mall & PowerMac in Northeast Square.