Warning for those who will buy Apple products in Greenhills

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by omarsytan, Aug 8, 2011.

1. omarsytan

omarsytan Active Member

Hi guys, I would like to share my experience earlier this afternoon.

My girlfriend asked me to accompany her to canvas/buy an Ipad 2 in Greenhills. Price range was at around 27,500-28,500 for the Ipad 2 32GB wifi model. While canvasing, there was this store that was selling at a tempting price of Php 26,000 for a brand new sealed one. So without hesitation I asked the saleslady to get a new stock for us to purchase. Thanks to what I learned here in Philmug, I used my phone to check the serial number written on the box online. I was shocked when I saw that the warranty was already expired and the serial number was for an Ipad 1.

I know that "resealing" is a common practice there but I don't get the point why they put a different serial number in the box. Could it be the unit is defective or what? What if my girlfriend was alone and bought the unit? Just a reminder lang to all planning to buy in Greenhills or any other places where the price is too good to have second thoughts.

In the end I got an iPad 2 nalang from a reputable store. My gf is happy so I am happy :)

2. iMigs

iMigs Member

I just want to share as well my experience buying in Greenhills. I bought an iPhone 4, brand new and sealed last Saturday. Store is a trusted one in theatre mall. Serial number is real. iTunes can detect the iPhone. To cut the long story short, out of my OCness, I've compared this iPhone to my sister-in-law's iphone 4 from Globe, and to my surprise, the dimensions are not the same. MicroSim card tray is shorter compared to the legit one, the width size as well doesnt match the globe issued phone. Anyone here bought theirs too on the said store? You may want to check yours, cos Im off to them tomorrow to have it replaced or make necessary actions if they won't. My take on this? I believe they just transferred the board to a class A casing and reseal the box to make it look brandnew. Btw, the LCD is kinda yellowish too. How many days is the replacement period for mobiles accdg to NTC policy?

#2 iMigs, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

happy ending :) good thing you checked the serial number before doing a purchase :)

i think the standard is 7 days for replacement, then apple warranty after that

4. omarsytan

omarsytan Active Member

@migs: From what I know 7 days replacement . :) but double check, not so sure.

@guwapito: yep, better safe and double check lahat before buying. Magaling ang mga tao sa Greenhills magsalestalk, but after sales support is so poor.

5. iMigs

iMigs Member

^ They told me that the replacement is only good for three days, and I said no way. AFAIK it's also seven days. Let's see how it goes.. thanks for the help ;)

Btw, is there anyone who can assure of this seven-day replacement period policy of NTC?

6. omarsytan

omarsytan Active Member

Good luck bro. I know Lemirand supplier Vapor there, maybe you can ask for his help if he knows the owner. :)

7. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

there's already an existing thread to this, here

8. loko__loko

loko__loko Active Member

7 days replacement is DTI policy...

9. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

OT: I just noticed. With so many ipad 2's you've been selling here, why did you still need to go to greenhills to help your GF look for and/or buy an ipad 2. Just wondering.;)

10. mystavros

mystavros Member

Napansin mo din pala :)

11. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

OT: With 3-4 FS items per month for the last 7 months, who wouldn't notice? He's clearly either a Career Seller or Habitual Seller already.

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=18578&starteronly=1

But then again, just wondering ;)

12. comixster

comixster Member

interesting thread..buyers beware!

13. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

Very nice observation indeed..:) There are still other muggers who take advantage of the Marketplace by violating some of the rules. I won't mention names, let them realize their mistakes since we're already old enough to know what is right and wrong.. but that's a different story now..:p

14. sanction214

sanction214 Member

is this why its called grey market area? anywho, buying sealed items doesn't guarantee it. well, good job on checking the serial number...that too could be added personally, its just that the seller does not know much about what they're selling than the buyer. as an old saying goes.. look before you leap! or..something in between! again, just sayin' =)

15. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Keep us posted iMigs! We hope you get to the bottom of this!

16. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

kindly keep us posted!

Im curius w/ the Macs also. I notice a lot of stalls selling Macs in the tiangge section. Some displays are all apple products pa hehe.. Are they legit? Some are quite low. But when you check the serial w apple there is no record. I inquired about this and the said di pa kasi registered. Can this be accurate for a 1 less than a year MBP?

17. omarsytan

omarsytan Active Member

If you can see all the units I sold are 3G units because its either it's a relative's or a friend's. I dont have any friends who have wifi only to spare units and my girlfriend is looking for a wifi one only. :) that's why we went to greenhills :)

#17 omarsytan, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  18. attyzap

attyzap Member

We must always be very careful in buying things that have a "too good to be true" price. It's not that there are no good deals out there, because sometimes there really are. As they say, "caveat emptor" :cool:

19. davidmatthew

davidmatthew Member

wow thanks for the tip bro, I'm planning to buy a macbook in Greenhills pa naman this coming weekend, do you think it would be the same?

20. omarsytan

omarsytan Active Member

@davidmatthew: I"m not sure if there it is the same for MBP's being sold there. :)

Mods, please close thread, saw lsalpare's link and it is similar. Thanks bro. :)