Very slow airplay mirroring. ATV2

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by infiniteloop, May 8, 2012.

1. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

I have an iPad2 and iPhone 4S both running the latest iOS. Airplay is very slow and sometimes it cant even stream to my TV.

I'm using ATV2 btw, router is Wireless-N from globe, like this one

[​IMG]

How do i fix this?

Thanks

EDIT:
    with the newly released iOS from apple, hindi na pala latest yun iOS ko. :-D

2. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

Not even sure where to begin. Too many variables, not enough info.

Lets start with the basics:
    1.) Jailbroken?
    2.) iOS version?
    3.) ATV2 connected via wifi or ethernet?
    4.) Is your net ok?
    5.) Are you running torrents?

3. infiniteloop

Sorry alucard, i thought what i wrote above is enough na.

1.) Jailbroken? -No
    2.) iOS version?
    iPad2 & 4S 5.1 (the last one before 5.1.1).
    ATV2 5.0
    3.) ATV2 connected via wifi or ethernet? - Wifi. slightly better when connected thru LAN
    4.) Is your net ok? - its 2mbps; internet connection has nothing to do with airplay sir?? correct me if I'm wrong
    5.) Are you running torrents? - No

4. extremeshot

extremeshot Well-Known Member

I also have a similar problem with a non-jb atv2, non-jb ipad2, ATV wired to N router, and the iPad is 3-5 meters away from the router so I'm quite annoyed by it. I do have a slow internet connection (pldt plan 990) but does that even play a factor in airplay mirroring?

5. Alucard

Sorry for the late reply. We're trying to weed out potential problems, thus the questions.

Wired connection (LAN) is always going to have better performance than wifi, so that's sort of expected. I assume you prefer to leave it as wifi, so all my assumptions will be wifi from here onwards.

As for your net, you're correct in that airplay does not use the internet. But it does give us signals on whether there's a bottleneck somewhere, possibly in the router, that could be causing the hiccups. Again, just to clarify, Airplay DOES NOT use the internet.

Next step I would take is to check whether the ATV2 connects to the internet with no problems. For example, try surfing to youtube on your atv2 and stream videos. If its slow then the problem is the connection between your router and ATV2. Try reseting network settings and see if that helps. If not, we'd have to continue looking ^^

EDIT: I took the liberty of googling your problem and found several helpful answers. HTH
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3714349?start=0&tstart=0
    Also, I'm not a big fan of Globe's Prolink routers. It might be a pain for you to find the right settings to configure it like the link suggests. But google is your friend.

6. infiniteloop

Thanks Alucard, i dont trust the globe's prolink routers too, kaso i have no choice but to use it.

another question: I'm planning to buy an airport extreme, will it improve the performance if i connect the AEBS directly to the single LAN port of prolink and connect my ATV2 to the wifi created by AEBS? hindi ba bottleneck pa din ang prolink?

thanks

7. Alucard

When you say you have no choice, why is that? I use Globe broadband too. I connected their modem to a buffalo router with DD-WRT and all is fine in the world. Take note that I've been using this set up for about a bit over 2 years now. But the point is, you do have a choice.

I don't have any experience with AEBS I'm sorry. After I get married and have my own place, I plan to get an AEBS to supply the network needs of our new house. However, placing a AEBS in front of your pro link probably won't help much.

The best would be to connect a new AEBS to the Globe-provided modem. Or if pro link is your router modem, you can actually switch it to just become a bridge. Essentially, this turns off all routing features. You may google it to find out guides and passwords on the matter.

Did you try to stream internet videos directly on your ATV2? Like youtube or vimeo?

8. infiniteloop

Its a router modem, so i have no choice but use it. pero pwede pala yun bridge lang, thanks for that info.
    Re youtube video, its ok naman. maganda naman, very clear

9. extremeshot

extremeshot Well-Known Member

What's the max speed of your wireless router? I have a feeling that the slow airplay is due to this limitation. My wireless N router is up to 72Mbps only and airplay lags.

10. infiniteloop

11. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hi Infiniteloop, I have an AEBS at home and Airplay works perfectly.

Leo

12. Alucard

This will probably help you.
    Globe PROLINK H5201 needs to be set in bridge mode | PinoyDSL.Net
    User/password also provided within.

If it plays YouTube videos well then I'm not too sure where the hiccup is. But if you plan on deploying an AEBS in your network as your router (with the pro link as just bridge modem), then the above link will apply. As for connection, make sure you connect AEBS to Apple TV 2 via wifi or ethernet. Both should be ok.

HTH

13. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Turn off WMM Support on your Router if you can find it see what happens