Vacuum Cleaner Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by yehey9, Feb 16, 2014.

1. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Where can you find ShopVac?

Saw the Dyson display at Robinson's Appliances. They looked great, but I don't think I'd want to drop that much money on it, more expensive than our ref!

So when buying vacuums, aside from th filters, the power is the next thing to consider, and is it always: more power = better?

2. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

I got mine from Ansons. I think they also sell at Ace Hardware.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.......@doc, just get variable speed vacuum cleaners. More power is best with deep-pile carpets. And if you have lots of carpets at home, an upright model is a lot of help (much easier to use)If not, regular ones will more than suffice to do the job. Also, I love wet/dry models like Shopvac. Flooded car interior, unexpected flooding at home, burst water pipes are just some of the contingencies that you can prepare for with wet/dry.

potpot2 likes this.
  4. C9

C9 Active Member

The 40k dyson floor model can be purchased at amazon for $200-300. I balked though due to lots of reviews complaining about units conking out. The best vacs are HEPA rated (filtering in micron size ie mold spores, allergens, etc) . Some have HEPA filters but lack adequate seals at the seams and exhaust.

A lot of vacs actually make things worse allergen wise by stirring up the tiny bad stuff and/or exhausting them back to the premises.

If the micron or sub micron baddies are your concern, there are much more choices here with air purifiers than HEPA vacs.

5. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Which model Dyson were you looking at?

I've had a DC41for several years now and it still works perfectly, it also uses a HEPA filter.

6. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

I have been using water-filtration vacuum cleaners and they are simply the best - no dust escapes back into the air during and after while you clean out the dirt from your machine. You can go premium brand (Rainbow) or cheaper (Karcher: Karcher Vacuum Cleaner Water Filtration System - Brand New For Sale Philippines - 53473226)
    The other benefit of water filtration is that the strength of the suction does not lessen as you use it - unlike paper filters which clog after a while.

7. C9

C9 Active Member

DC40. About 25% had durability issues. I evaluate amazon items starting with 1-2 star reviews, which helps a lot in cutting down on my shopping ( :

Miele and Sebo are supposed to be the best but are in the $600-900 range.

It's not just max power but also how well sealed vacs are. If a vac is really air tight it can utilize the power better. Look for well designed silicone or rubber seals around the filters, exhaust and openings.

I have a multi storey home so can't use heavy vacs or those using water.

8. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Now deciding between the ShopVac and the Philips Powerpro Compact. Anybody using the Philips Powerpro? The Shopvac is cheaper by about 2,500 bucks.

9. panis

panis Well-Known Member

My wife and I were about to buy the Karcher wet and dry until we went to Anson's at Landmark and were convinced by the sales lady to get the Rowenta instead. We got the German-made model, which does not use a filter and has one of the strongest suction power.

10. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Maybe I should start using that method to cut back on my online shopping. Lol :)

Looked at Miele and the reviews are pretty good. It doesn't look as maneuverable as my vac but I might consider that brand should my Dyson conk out. Thanks for the info!

11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I think I found the one...

12. ice

I have officially spent a week with my Xiaomi vacuum...

Last year, my wife and I were choosing between a roomba and dyson... Dyson V8 won as she felt there are some parts of the house where the roomba will never reach...

A year later, tired of having to vacuum the floor every other day, she has decided to give me the approval to buy a robo vac...

Decided to get the Xiaomi over Deebot N78 as the Xiaomi has a rotating brush underneath...

A week later, it's been so far so good.

vtf and Theus like this.
  13. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

@ice where did you buy the xiaomi? thanks

14. makinao

makinao Active Member

W've been wanting to get the 2nd gen Xiaomi, but its not available yet locally :-(

15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

got this robovac recently:

608500C8-CB2F-4E15-8546-8490E1A8B7C9.jpeg

“Amazon’s Choice” product with most positive reviews at over 3,000. So far so good (y)

ramil, potpot2 and raypin like this.
  16. ice

Lazada SG...

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I have three:
    Papa Bear (ShopVac wet/dry);
    Mama Bear (Dyson V8); and
    Baby Bear (Roomba 800 series)

All suck! :D

gogetit, potpot2 and zagu like this.
  18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...can it deep clean low pile carpet?

19. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Haven’t tried chief, we have no carpet as our eldest has asthma. Pretty sure though i read user reviews that it does.

The remote is a joy: one can have the unit: ‘hug’ walls, do spot/circular cleaning, scheduled cleanIng, make directional cleaning: for impatient folks :) & dock

at USD229, package comes with 2 extra bristles, 2 filters & a cleaning tool

raypin likes this.
  20. ice

^I think carpet shouldn't be an issue for robot vacs.

Those things were designed for multiple surfaces. BUT they still can't replace bigger/more powerful vacuums.

IMO, perfect for removing dust and hair.

potpot2 likes this.