Traveling to and within the US

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Pyreticdamsel, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks Chief! :) Well they are on their way to fulfilling the prophecies of "modern day" America as depicted in The Handmaids' Tale and Man in the High Castle.

If the white supremacists and republicans have their way, the future should look like the 1950's America. Pure whites on top, all other colors in the bottom, and oh yeah, zero rights for women.

2. arubeto

arubeto Member

I had my laptop in my backpack via United from Narita last April and no questions at all. However, it was during my domestic flight when I am about to go back that they took some time to "inspect" my laptop and ran it through with both a handheld and a fixed scanner (different from the normal luggage scanner).

Godfather likes this.
  3. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Welp, I'm back in LA. No troubles with my laptop in my carry on, so I guess it's still good.

What's not good is I forgot I had my tiny little swiss knife key chain was on my house keys. Got confiscated at NAIA. A blade less than two-inches long is considered a deadly weapon daw.

So I said, ha, e itong sako ng mga bala na dala ko nakalusot nga e. :p Just playin. Got them aroused though.

Sunil_K likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

The one thing you can do if you want to cross multiple states? Don't fly. Drive. Get a car or SUV of your choice at any rental. Choose Alamo. Wide selection of cars they carry. Have license, no problem.

Drove from Niagara Falls to Ohio in 5 hours. Then to NYC in 6.5 hours non-stop. Then to DC in 4 hours plus pitstops. Then DC to Richmond in 3. And then back to NYC in six.

The great thing about driving here. The roads are wide. The traffic moves. The toll is cheap. And Waze is so accurate down to the last inch. 100%.
    IMG_1506.JPG

#484 hitme64, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    emsy, jbfirefly, raypin and 3 others like this.
  5. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Uhmmm...I rented a van for 30 days. Cost 2400 dollars! last year it cost me 1800 for 30 days too.

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well ours was 750 for 10 days. That's even less than a ticket from NYC to Cleveland.

7. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

The rates are rising.

8. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member

What you need to know about Trump’s travel ban
    nypost.com

Highlights of Monday’s US Supreme Court decision allowing a limited version of the Trump administration’s travel ban to go into effect:

90-day travel ban

Countries it applies to:
    Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen

Who can still get a visa?

“Foreign nationals who have a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States,” the court said.

“As for entities, the relationship must be formal, documented, and formed in the ordinary course, rather than for the purpose of evading [the order],” it added.

That includes:

• People who have “a close familial relationship” with someone in the US. “A foreign national who wishes to enter the United States to live with or visit a family member . . . clearly has such a relationship,” the court ruled.
    • A student admitted to an American university.
    • A worker who takes a job with an American company.
    • A lecturer invited to speak before an American audience.
    Who can’t get a visa?

Visa applicants without a “bona fide relationship with a person or entity” in the US.

120-day refugee ban

Which refugees can’t enter the US?

Those who lack a “bona fide relationship” with a person or entity in the US. “When it comes to refugees who lack any such connection to the United States, for the reasons we have set out, the balance tips in favor of the Government’s compelling need to provide for the Nation’s security,” the court said.

9. MFD888

MFD888 Member

^what for? Matagal ng issue at di naman kasali Pilipinas.

10. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

^that's okay, always good to know. ;) given the unpredictability of US policy, it's hard to tell who and what's next.

Sir iAco likes this.
  11. MFD888

MFD888 Member

^it's always in the news. It is simply called by Democrats as a Muslim ban. I'm just surprised that it is extensively/alarmingly posted here like Philippines is included.

Who's next? Umm none. Look at the list of countries pls. Naman. Down and out, war-torn, collapsed states. Pahirapan na ngang na decide na implement partially (those who have existing visa, bona-fide relationships, etc) ng US Supreme Court yan and they will decide in the fall.

If by chance Philippines is included which is impossible, I think that is the time to post it here. IMHO.

12. penmanila

Staff Member

if it's not interesting or relevant to you, that doesn't mean it isn't to others. your opinions have been noted. only time and geopolitics--not you or me--will tell how "impossible" impossible truly is, especially with ISIS knocking on our southern door.

jbfirefly, Sunil_K, Sir iAco and 2 others like this.
  13. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Rented an 8 seater van last April from Enterprise for 2 weeks, we paid $800. I think Enterprise offers the lowest rates & they usually have weekend promos even for luxury cars.. you can get a porsche for an entire weekend for $150. I've been using them since 2010 & very satisfied overall.

14. penmanila

Staff Member

leaving for our annual visit to our daughter in san diego in 2 weeks. looking forward to a nice afternoon train ride from LA to SD.

Sunil_K likes this.
  15. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

I went to enterprise first, cause we rented from them last year. This year, they quoted 3400 for 30 days.

greta87 likes this.
  16. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

@penmanila - by any chance you'd be in San Diego from July 19-23? ComicCon!! See if you can get to watch Conan :D

penmanila likes this.
  17. penmanila

Staff Member

Yup I tried twice to get a ticket online but failed :( I did go to Comic-Con last year and watched Conan’s show with the cast of GoT and even got one of those Conan dolls, remember? ;) I interviewed Whilce Portacio then.

But my daughter (who got tickets for us last year through the backdoor because Conan stays at their hotel, among other celebs) night yet do wonders again. Fingers crossed.

greta87 and Sunil_K like this.
  18. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

I remember! Hoping that you'd get to go again. Must be a fun experience :) (also living vicariously thru you hehe) :D

19. penmanila

Staff Member

now in LA spending a couple of days with a friend before moving on to our daughter in san diego. enjoying lobsters, strawberries, grapes, and the world poker tour and US darts championships on TV. life is good (while trump's in france, ha ha)!

Mykolant, Sunil_K and gaol like this.
  20. penmanila

Staff Member

it's that time of year! we're in san diego... and our daughter pulled off a coup--tickets to comic-con for tomorrow and sunday! :)

[​IMG]

here's people waiting for conan at the backstage of the spreckels theater:

[​IMG]

more pics soon!

Mykolant, Sunil_K and jbfirefly like this.