Traveling to and within the US

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Pyreticdamsel, Mar 12, 2011.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

After reviewing their guidelines here https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/dangerous.aspx, it should be fine to store Lithium batteries in carry-on luggage, UNLESS:

1. They're over 160WHr in density
    2. They're loosely packed and not in a protective case/box or retail packaging
    3. Terminals are bare and not protected/covered

Leon21 likes this.
  2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

3. sp@rk

sp@rk Member

for a group of 6, is it advisable to use uber to roam around LA or just get a rental?

saw that uber offers uberXL that can accomodate max of 6 in LA. can we use the same uber account we use here in the philippines? though we are worried that uberXL units maybe scarce and we might be forced to get 2 uber bookings in the end.

we are also planning to go to las vegas. if we choose to get a rental, is it ok/safe for first time US drivers to do so? there are 3 drivers in the group with more than 10 years of driving experience here in manila and we intend to travel during the day.

thanks!

4. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

I'm planning to visit the US this December for a vacation, either New Jersey or L.A. My last visit was 2014 and we didn't have a problem getting thru immigration since we went as a family. This time it might be just me and my gf (first time for her), so I'm a bit concerned that we might be under a bit more scrutiny?

I already deleted my tweets for criticising Trump lol

Sunil_K likes this.
  5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Don't worry about it. As long as you have a legitimate reason for visiting and your papers are in order, you should be okay.

arkaell likes this.
  6. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

I spat out my drink lol

And you two should be okay. Not much has changed (if any) for us since he took the helm.

arkaell likes this.
  7. MFD888

MFD888 Member

Duh. Clearly you're the dumb one. All you have to do is read the article of the URL you have posted to know the answer, instead of Bashing a race wholesale everytime you post. Pls. Be responsible. Or being a "Staff member" is a license to be arrogant?

8. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Dude... really? 1. Language. 2. Where is Roland bashing any race? 3. You calling Roland arrogant is akin to saying the sun rises from the west.

Sir iAco, bacchus_3, docjbr and 5 others like this.
  9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Thanks, Sunil. But that's ok. Some strangers do barge into the town hall, calling out the jester like they've lived in town all their lives.

He also reported a punny post of mine in the Netflix thread; only mine, not a similar post by Godfather that preceded mine.

When he realizes that he's the only one cryin' wolf, he might stop cryin'.

In the meantime, let's take a minute to pause for menopause. :D

Sir iAco, bacchus_3, Sunil_K and 6 others like this.
  10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^I would also like to bash you Roland, you arrogant one, you who shamelessly contributed to my addiction to vinyl..damn yah! :D

This is still a free country, contrary to Sonny's and Leila's assertions, and being free means free to express, for and against; no problem with that here...am sure those of you in the States ya' all know it's ah great feelin' to be free and ah-live and ah-wake in the Trump era, yah hear me guys...cash me ousside if yah want...

But the flaming and name-calling is uncalled for...no need to be piqued here because, you know, we all have our quirks now and then...

P.S. This makes me want to fly to San Francisco and eat lobster at the Wharf for all I care...and yeah, I'd like to get dumb all over there...

Sir iAco, rbenzon, bacchus_3 and 2 others like this.
  11. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

ha ha.. wow. some flame time in Philmug. hasnt happened in a while... but yes, Roland is one of the nicest guys in Philmug. Him coming off as arrogant is mainly due to the fact that you don't know him welll enough & you don't now where he's coming from. :)

Sir iAco, rbenzon, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  12. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

America is a race?

13. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I just realized my Philippine passport card is expired, but I renewed it with a receipt only. I'm traveling to the US and renting a car. They usually ask for the drivers license. Is the receipt good enough? I also have an expired CAliforna driver's license but i'm going to renew it when I get there. Any thoughts?

14. b0gni

b0gni Active Member

You mean the driver's license card is expired, not Philippine passport card?

My friend had the same problem. Feeling desperate - since the trip was primarily a road trip - this friend had a driver's license card made in an infamous place in Manila. This knock-off card worked for him, and he was able to rent a car.

This method isn't recommended though, of course.

greta87 and Juice like this.
  15. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

My other friends experienced this. They didn't recognize the piece of paper as a license, so do that at your own risk. Best to just get the California license or get an international permit.

Juice likes this.
  16. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Go back to the LTO office where you renewed your license and show them proof of your travel to the US. They will print out your card-type license in 5 minutes. That's what happened to me last March. ;-)

greta87 and Juice like this.
  17. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Thanks, I'll go to the LTO and show them my ticket. That's what a friend of mine who recently wnet tot he US did. the other guy got rejected with the paper receipt.

18. polemic

polemic Member

has anyone experienced being asked for social media accounts and passwords when passing through immigration since the new policies came into effect?

19. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

What is the current rule regarding carry on laptops?

I heard that they ban laptops from European and Middle Eastern flights, but from the Philippines? Allowed na ba in cray cray Trumpland?

20. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^@Godfather, despite that ban, you can still tote your laptops and tablets on board, at least on Delta and Cathay Pacific. But trust me, sometimes you don't want that kind of bitching from a twitchy TSA agent.

Anyway, isn't Old America kinda like entering the Twilight Zone? I mean all those Hollywood movies showing Americans as the bastion of great fashion, fitness and handsomity are typically bull. Feels like being transplanted into Camp John Hay circa 1950.

This hotel is so shabby chic I don't even try to touch the wallpaper.
    IMG_1509.JPG

Godfather likes this.