Traveling to and within the US

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Pyreticdamsel, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Pyreticdamsel

Pyreticdamsel Member

My boyfriend and I are doing a 2 week US trip. We're planning to drive around the west coast. I haven't been in the area but I am organizing it so suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

We will be renting a car and checking-in in our stops (no relatives for us) so for those who have done this trip any recommendations? ;)

2. gang_armani

gang_armani Active Member

Re: US trip

Which state are you planning to start your Vacation?

Well where ever it is, don't forget to drive to and stay in Vegas atleast 2-3 nights.

If you get the Chance try to go to Lake Tahoe.

3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

well, judging by your tags, i can only recommend those that i've been to:
    • pacific coast highway, highway 1 from malibu to santa monica - a sunset drive to die for;
    • napa valley, sonoma county - wines and vineyards;
    • san francisco - fisherman's wharf, cable cars, and why many leave their hearts in sfo ;)
    • yosemite national park;
    • monterey bay aquarium;
    • getty center in los angeles;
    • apple's the company store at 1 infinity loop, cupertino :)
    these places will make your BF pop the question! ;)

then elope in vegas! :D

4. Pyreticdamsel

Pyreticdamsel Member

We will be flying in LA. From LA rent a car from there... drive up to san francisco taking the scenic route then las vegas after.. From Vegas drive back to LA then drop by in CHicago before heading home. I think i have underestimated the cost. Apparently this is one expensive trip..

Oh cool thanks! ur comment is funny though... I don't know if will listen to Bruno Mars re. Las vegas though. Don't wanna create a scandal coming home. haha But will definitely look up your suggestions. hard to plan when you don't know these areas.

thanks

5. totolabradog

totolabradog Moderator
    Staff Member

+1 here on taking the Pacific Coast Highway up the coast!!

In LA, visit The Getty Center, and the Hearst Castle if you're into that. For shopping, maybe a walk down Melrose Ave, The Grove, then Grab a bite to eat at the Farmers Market nearby, and The 3rd Street promenade in Sta. Monica.

Best cuban roast chicken is in a small place called versailles, there's an outlet at the city walk in Universal Studios, but best to eat at the original place in West LA

http://www.yelp.com/biz/versailles-restaurant-los-angeles-2

The famous Pink's on La Brea for your hotdog fix! There's a long line but well worth the wait. You may even see some stars lining up!

http://www.pinkshollywood.com/pgz/greeting.htm
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/pinks-hot-dogs-los-angeles

6. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

If you're going in June, visit the Staples Center for the 2011 LAL-TBD finals...

Go to san diego and drive through the temecula vineyards if you find sanfo and napa too far. but the pacific coast hw is a must. vegas too. the grand canyon. oh my, this is my march 2010..lol

7. Pyreticdamsel

Pyreticdamsel Member

No.. we're going there on May. Which reminds me is there an LA basketball game round that time or a UFC fight in Vegas? i think my guy would love to catch some sporting event.

8. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

You guys should experience America's favorite past time. Go see a baseball game. :) also drive to palm springs, muntik ko pa makalimutan yun..then drop by cabazon..

9. dexterandrada

dexterandrada Member

Make sure you look for ways to shake of the dreaded jetlag. Last time i was on a US trip it took 3 full days before i was sane enough to travel.

10. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

The first time I went to the US, I took NWA, and I arrived at around noontime on a sunday. Watched an LAL game and was Zzzing by around 3PM. Woke up 6AM the next morning. Jetlag was gone.

2nd trip, I took EVA. Landed in LAX late in the afternoon, and again, slept it off.

Most recent one, I flew PAL, and TD was around 7PM. Good as new the next morning.

I never fall sleep during flights, but I do sleep 12-15 hrs once I get there.

11. johnnydu

johnnydu Member

+1 on PCH drive. Spider crabs at Oxnard is definitely worth 1 short stop. Santa Monica pier at night is amazing. My heart is still in San Francisco, I am itching to come back. Clam chowder at one of those pier 39 places. Walking up Lombard and seeing Golden Gate was one memorable experience. Also go see the World Series champion SF Giants play! Maybe you'll see Steve Perry lead the crowd to sing in the stands (at least he did during the World Series)

Despite all that they say, America is amazing. Never regretted shelling out so much for the US trip my fiancee and I took a year and a half ago

12. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Highway 101... then Route 66

13. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

+1 on PCH. I suggest going down, not up, the coast, so you'll be starting in SF. That way, you'll be driving on the side near the ocean. That's a good no-hurrying day's drive.

+1 on taking in a baseball game live. Indescribable atmosphere.

+1 on watching a game at Staples. You'll be there during the playoffs, so this will be costly. Worth it if your bf is a Lakers fan.

Driving around CA is a great vacation. Tahoe, wine valley, all the suggestions above are great. Budget a lot for car rental (get insurance) and accommodations, but the memories will be priceless.

If you ask me, I'd suggest you spend more days in the SF area and as few as possible in the LA area, and only do Vegas to satisfy your curiosity. Liked the drive thru the desert though.

14. astra22

astra22 Member

I suggest you also rent a GPS device. It will save you a lot of time and help you avoid taking wrong exits when driving on the Interstate Freeways.

My family and I was in California in May 2010, we enjoyed our trip so much because we were able to visit a lot of places on our own due to the GPS. I drove to San Diego to Anaheim and LA

I enjoyed best in San Francisco, a stroll in the Pier area in the morning and cofee at Boudin in the Wharf area... Also be mindful of the speed limits... or Eric Estrada of CHP might knock on your car window.;)

15. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North

How about Venice Beach? Okay pa ba dun? Walking on the boardwalk is a must.

That's what I remember of LA when I first went there in '92.

16. maxx

maxx Member

How come nobody's mentioned Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA? If you're with your loved one, you should spend a night here! Then do the 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach, lots of dream houses here. I think you'll have a great time pointing out with your boyfriend how grand the house you'll build together.:)

+1 on Monterey Bay Aquarium. The jellyfishes with the running disco lights are a must see.
    I haven't seen those in other aquariums I've been to.

If you're going to Chicago then don't miss the Shedd Aquarium, they have a whole floor dedicated to Philippine Reef. It's the most popular attraction in that aquarium and you'll feel very proud seeing people so amazed by our reef. You'll hear gushes, oohs and aahs.

When driving down Highway 1 or Pac. Coast Highway, be aware of electronic signs warning of road closures up ahead. We wasted two hours because we failed to notice a small trailer with an electronic sign warning of a road closure several miles up ahead.

17. apple

apple New Member

If you still have time to spare, you can check Sedona, Arizona (Red Rock). It's about a 6 hour drive from Las Vegas, I can tell you the scenery is worth it.:D After that before you head back to L.A. you can check out Grand Canyon.

18. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

sedona is actually awesome. just the drive around the area is awe inspiring.

The funny thing is all the areas you are driving/visiting are like epicenters for Pinoy immigrant populations so it might not feel like you even left while driving around LA (glendale), San Francisco (Daly or basically anywhere in the Bay Area).

19. temyong

temyong Member

if you have an hour or two to spare in San Francisco, try to locate a spot called Alamo Square. it's actually a park where you can lay out a mat, lie down and chill on a beautiful day. what's interesting about it? it's home to the famous row of Victorian houses a.k.a. the painted ladies. it's like you're staring at a real life postcard :) it's where i left my heart at :p

20. Pyreticdamsel

Pyreticdamsel Member

how about hotels or interesting food places?