'Touch Disease' - A potential serious problem for iPhone 6 & 6+ Users

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by denpacs, Aug 24, 2016.

1. jaeb

jaeb New Member

di ko nakita itong post mo! pero ganito rin yung nagawa ko :)

2. mrsfrancisco

mrsfrancisco New Member

I paid 8.6k in switch for my iphone 6 plus touch disease problem. Apple replaced my unit and got a new one (not refurbished).

3. ronjet

ronjet Well-Known Member

I inquired about this now at Switch Glorietta. It's 8,500 + 800 diagnostic fee.

@mrsfrancisco , may I ask if that's already the total amount including the diagnostic fee of switch?

4. number001

number001 Member

I brought my 6 plus with ghost touch to BTB BHS. Including the diagnostic fee, I was quoted a total of 10,050 (for unit replacement). I'm not sure why its that high. They said it was based on the exchange rate. If I didnt show them the apple service bulletin on ghost touch repairs for $149, they originally wanted to charge me Php 21K!!

5. ronjet

ronjet Well-Known Member

@number001, 10,050! Apple left us with no other options. Either you get this with the included 90 days warranty but no guarantee if it will not get the same issue after that 90 days since it is basically the same new phone, with the same internal layout I think or we'll be stuck with an iPhone that has a mind of its own.

6. number001

number001 Member

@ronjet, did you pay only P8,500+P800 at switch for your 6 plus service/repalcement?

I brought mine to BTB bec that is where I purchased the phone from in nov 2014.

$149 (apple quote) * 50 (exchange rate) = Php 7,450 + 800 (diagnostic) = Php 8,250.00 (this should be the amount we should pay)

Not sure why these apple authorized resellers are charging us more.

7. ronjet

ronjet Well-Known Member

I haven't brought my phone for replacement, I just asked a couple of service centers how much it will cost to get my phone replace under the multi touch repair program. And they gave me that amount. They also said it is based on their exchange rates. I think it is also mentioned on the Apple's program that pricing may vary on different service centers.

8. number001

number001 Member

When I brought the unit to BTB, but as they turned it on, the screen didnt function anymore. I tried to restart the unit, this time the apple logo showed up on the LCD screen upon bootup but when it entered the Os, the screen was blank again. I'm not sure if this (blank sceen) is symptomatic of the ghost issues or a separate incident. I dont know if this will affect my out of warranty claims

9. emiaj12

emiaj12 Member

I brought my unit to Powermac Megamall, after diagnostic they confirmed the multi touch issue but they said that it is not covered due to a "pressure damage" on the uppermost left side of the screen (Its like 2-3 dead pixel). I tried to bargain telling them it might be caused of the "Stress" dropping the phone which is also noted on Apple's article regarding Touch Disease. However, they insisted their point and was asking 21k for a replacement.

Not happy with the outcome I brought the unit to Switch Glorietta and while waiting for 3 days diagnostic result I showed the diagnostic result (from powermac) to Apple US using Chat support. Senior adviser confirmed that having pressure damage on screen will not exclude it from the touch disease quality program as they considered it as “Stress” and not really the main cause of the "multi touch disease" so they advised me to bring it to another service provider instead. They also added a warranty note on my device serial number through applecare to avoid any hassle of arguing my case. Switch Glorietta has confirmed that my unit has passed their VMI test and is covered under Apple's touch disease quality program. They are also confirming the extent of the warranty coverage given to me because it says "covered for any repairs and parts replacement".

greta87 and ronjet like this.
  10. reyson1980

reyson1980 New Member

problema ko din ito, pina check ko sa sm north authorized repair center and iphone 6 ko dahil nga sa touch disease na to after few days e sabi for replacement daw 20K+ and hindi daw covered ang iphone6 dun sa program ng apple , masakit pa nito e lalong nasira phone ko hindi na talaga magamit unlike nung binigay ko sa kanila, d na tumigil ang touch disease and nagka lines pa. ano po ba problema ng phone ? lcd ba? magkano po kaya ang repair nito kung i try ko sa greenhills

paglabas ko e may dalawang lalaki din na nagpapa check ng iphone 6 nila and same problem as mine sinabihan na sila agad na for replacement and they have to shell out 20k+ nugn tignan ko sila e parang maluha luha pa sila pareho , I was planning to buy iphone 8 kung sakali paglabas nya pero this incident left me thinking twice if i want to buy another expensive paper weight

11. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ which "authorized Apple repair center" are you referring to? if you note from the previous post of emiaj12, his concern was addressed, albeit with a little delay, by a legit Apple service center. There is a possibility that the store you went to is not necessarily equipped to properly address your issues with the iPhone 6. You can go to Beyond the Box, Sencolink, iStudio or Switch, & even Powermac (last resort) for a proper diagnostic

12. reyson1980

reyson1980 New Member

the one in SM north annex upper floor in front of smart think its power mac center authorized sevice provider, still pissed they turned my iphone6 unusable , before i had it checked its was still ok just acting few times a day. then they totally fucked it.

13. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ sorry to hear that. as you may have noticed, PM is the last option in my list of authorized centers..

14. emiaj12

emiaj12 Member

Hey Reyson. Try to bring your phone to Switch Glorietta.

Update: Received a call from Switch yesterday and my replacement phone is ready for pick up. And oh! they said no need to pay anything because of the warranty given to me by an Apple senior advisor via Chat.

15. mrkrabdribble

mrkrabdribble New Member

My friend, my son and I all suffered through this proble with the 6 and 6+. No cure for it other than replacement of the touch screen. (We found that gently 'twisting' the phone works to temporarily make it usable.)

If you're out of warranty, you're out of luck. Just the way Apple service is.

16. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Active Member

at times, its better to call apple support first before dropping to the authorized service center; they are more open minded and willing to help fix the problem; you are lucky once you are able to speak to one of our kababayan CSR; if your unit is in pristine condition plus no physical or water damage, never hesitant to call the Apple Toll Free number

17. number001

number001 Member

While other posters here managed to get free replacement units, I still have to pay for my replacement unit even if I spent an hour on the phone talking to apple reps. The best the apple rep can do for me is to give a lower/reduced total amount (than what BTB charged me).

Could also be my fault also , bec. I brought my defective 6 plus to BTB service and only thought of calling up Apple hotline when BTB informed me the unit is ready for pickup. DOH! hahaha

Still disappointed. But what can I do. Other recourse, is to have a 6 plus paperweight.

PS: My def unit is in pristine cond (no scratch anywhere bec. it has tempered glass, back side film and placed in a UAG case). But it is also part of the defective camera lens batch which BTB insists is not yet defective to replace (Apple released a service bulletin regarding this). Its silent /ringer switch is a bit iffy lately. If Apple gives me a brand new unit I should be happy.