'Touch Disease' - A potential serious problem for iPhone 6 & 6+ Users

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by denpacs, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

So, for us with iPhone 6 problems (not the plus), where do we have them fixed?

2. ronjet

ronjet Well-Known Member

likewise sir sandybridge. Much better if it will be free.

3. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

My iPhone 6 Plus doesn't have this problem - touch wood, but it's easily upsetting for anyone having to pay for their poor quality control choices. Apple most probably isn't going to shoulder the fees until it gives them bad PR or worse, they lose a class action. I'm not often disappointed by the fruit giant, but this is one of those times.

Come on Apple, customer loyalty always trumps what profit you imagine getting from this program.

4. h2obaby

h2obaby Member

Had a slightly different touchscreen problem with my iPhone 6. I was experiencing ghost touch but only when after the unit gets squished -- it could be in my purse, or in my pocket. It would correct itself after a period of hair-pulling frustration and would be fine until the next squishing -- which could be months and months after. Anyway, brought it to Burn. They'd just re-attach the screen and the problem goes away. After probably the 4th time, I finally decided to have the screen replaced, during which they found out that the voltage running inside is slightly higher. This explained the unusually high battery temps when the screen is malfunctioning. I don't know what's wrong now that the Touch ID has since stopped working even after repeated restorations. We currently have a pending Apple Support case, wherein we're hoping to get the phone replaced since the phone diagnosis that Apple Support ran revealed that the hardware is fine. We're still waiting for a verdict. If all else fails, I'm junking the phone.

5. BelCanto

BelCanto Member

Just brought my iPhone 6 Plus to Power Mac Center for repair. I told them that I have the "multi-touch issue" which apple acknowledged for the 6 plus. I was told that they would need to check my phone for a couple of days first. They will not repair the iPhone but will have it replaced for a fee IF they diagnosed that it really has the "multi-touch" issue. I told them that the issue is intermittent and would only happen if my phone is dropped. I paid Php1000 for the diagnostic fee.

6. abbykua

abbykua Member

My friend bought her iPhone 6 Plus during the Lazada sale years back and is manifesting the touch screen problem. The unit I think is from Canada. I wonder if she can have it serviced locally. I guess that's the risk when you buy units not from local official retailers.

7. vic2rp

vic2rp Member

I also hope Apple will include loose / clicking screen, for free of course. This has been bothering me for quite sometime now.

8. emiaj12

emiaj12 Member

Hi Bel! any update on their diagnostic? Is you iPhone still under warranty? TIA!

9. BelCanto

BelCanto Member

My iPhone 6 plus is already out of warranty. Power Mac Center diagnosed that my phone really has the multi touch issue. Since they don't do repairs, I was first quoted a Php21,000++ replacement fee. They then acknowledged Apple's $149 Multi touch repair program so i just had to pay Php8330 + their Php1000 diagnostic fee. I was advised to wait 3 to 4 weeks for the replacement iPhone to arrive.

toinkerz26 and 4p0se like this.
  10. mrsfrancisco

mrsfrancisco New Member

@BelCanto - I'm also suffering the touch disease on my phone. Does that mean if we qualify for the multi touch repair program, our phones will be replaced?

#50 mrsfrancisco, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  11. 4p0se

4p0se Active Member

My previous iPhone 6 has this intermittent touch screen problem and after visiting power mac a couple of times they decided to replace it. However the replacement after a month has this flickering light and sometimes it dims on its own and I have to lock it and open again but sometimes I have to do this hard reset to open it again or connect it to my mac to open it via iTunes - until those remedies no longer work cause it already died.

I wonder if my case falls under multitouch repair program?

junnuj likes this.
  12. BelCanto

BelCanto Member

I believe so. Apple Authorized Service Centers here in the Philippines does not do repairs. They usually get refurbished iPhones from Singapore as replacement. I was informed by the Power Mac Center frontliner that I will be given just an iPhone. No accesories such as charger and earpods.

13. emiaj12

emiaj12 Member

Thanks for the info! I think I need to drop by Power mac anytime soon.

14. fiona

fiona Member

Hi, my friend in Iloilo went to an Authorized Reseller and they want to charge her 19,000 pesos! In your case, though, why did PowerMac charge you 8,330? Is the dollar to peso exchange 55? I thought it's about 48-49 pesos.

15. BelCanto

BelCanto Member

I'm guessing your friend went to "Switch"? I also was quoted a Php19000+++ replacement fee when I went to them to inquire how much the repair is. I was still not aware of "Apple's Multi-Touch Repair Program for iPhone 6 Plus" then.

As with any other establishments, Power Mac Center has their own dollar to peso exchange rate. It is also quoted on Apple's article that "Pricing offered by Apple Authorized Service Providers may vary".

Your friend might have not mentioned about Apple's repair program to the Service Center in Iloilo. As I've said previously, Power Mac's frontliner first quoted a Php21,000 replacement fee to me but I let them know that I am aware of Apple's pricing of the current iPhone 6 plus repair program. They then gave the Php8330 price.

I was able to get the replacement iPhone after 2 weeks because the unit came from Singapore, I believe.

16. Kingviel

Kingviel New Member

check this guys. di ko sure kung makakatulong to pero eto mas tipid hehe. sabi working daw. galing kasi states sakin kaya wala ako pang claim.

17. munchkiie

munchkiie New Member

Had this issue with my iPhone 6. I thought I got this because of severely dropping my phone. I just put pressure on my phone to resolve the issue but it was getting frustrating. Punched my phone (LOL) and broke the wifi / gps / bluetooth antenna. Brought the unit to Greenhills (since it was already out of warranty) to get the antenna fixed. Lo and behold, the issue was gone.

18. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Active Member

i think there's a fee of Php 8000 for this Multi Touch Issue replacement; as long as the unit has no 3rd party modifications you can avail this.

19. jaeb

jaeb New Member

anyone have updates to their iphone 6 plus problem?
    this just happened to my iphone 6 plus. before i found out about the so-called touch disease, ive changed the screens but even a new screen doesnt work. googling around i found out about the anomaly.
    https://ifixit.org/blog/8309/iphone-6-plus-gray-flicker-touch-death/

repair shops in the US found out that the only way to fix the problem is to replace 2 chips on the IC that processes the touch functions on the screen, and reinforce it with a metal plate to avoid further flexing to wear down its connections.
    i wonder if our local shops like burn/jhoy would know how to do this?

20. jaeb

jaeb New Member

just an update. was able to repair by following some guides on youtube that involves removing the logic board to access the touch IC and putting a few layers of electical tape over it. it basically crimps the touch IC tight and restores the connections allowing touch functions to resume. had it working now for less than a day and the guys who posted this low-fi fix say that theirs have been going well for weeks.